What's new

Second Strains

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to my question. For those of you that do a second strain: Do you to it straight after your first strain and consume in the day? Is it ok to let the second strains build up in the fridge in a plastic shaker for a few days? I find I don't want to have the second strain every day and have been letting them sit in the fridge until I have a day when I'd like something in the day. Any thoughts/experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks

D

Deleted User01

I used to store Kava in lock cap bottles all the time and sometimes for 2 weeks. The problem is that we don't know how fresh the plastic shaker will keep the kava. See if you can get a a lock cap glass bottle to help keep the kava from going sour. I have noticed that the taste degrades over time and an air tight bottle would slow that down. Also, though I would keep it up to 2 weeks, I would probably say that one week is better.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks Deleted User01. So would you recommend maybe a Jam jar? I don't keep it for more than a week as it's actually too strong to have in the day - I don't want to waste any of my Kava ... learned about 2nd strains on here .. before that I'd do my 1st strain and dump which seems so wasteful to me now. I'll try to get a glass jar - thanks for the tip - much appreciated

ps: do you still store or do you throw it away after your 1st strain?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I make them both, mix them together so the resulting brew has uniform strength, and then drink the whole thing over the course of 2-3 hours.

D

Deleted User01

Jam jar would work, just tighten it good. Try to put it in the smallest container possible. The less air at the top of the jar the better. Just like wine.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks Deleted User01. Do you put your 2nd strain in with cold water? I do but not sure about this. Should I just put the granny nylon socks in a container on their own?

D

Deleted User01

I'm not sure what you are describing on the "cold water thing". I will add luke warm water to the spend Kava and then squeeze it like a mad man over and over. I might ever blend it in the blender before squeezing it. Then strain the liquid in to the bottle with a funnel and sqeeze every bit of liquid out of the strainer. I still think warm water is better for squeezing then cold water. As far as water goes, use the same type of water for first and second wash. Same exact technique.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I use a granny nylon sock so my leftover is in the sock so I put in fridge with water which eventually becomes cold. I couldn't put it in a blender as it's still in the nylon sock if that makes sense. I agree that kneading in warm water seems to get more out so might try transferring my 2nd strains into warm water before kneading again.

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
I go undercover and get off Ebay! They really are disgusting ... if I ever get to a stage where I actually have to wear them put a pillow over my head!

Sadie

Kava Enthusiast
It's a knee length nylon sock ... pretty disgusting to look at and only used by grannies here ... my mum in law would wear them under trousers ... it's not a good look trust me