What's new

Second wash question

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Do you guys use the same amount for a second wash?

Or do you add more dried root to the stuff you're second washing?

Just trying to figure out my amounts!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin

Either or, depends on taste. Both work but by adding more, you are extending sessions so I suppose it really depends on your goal for that session. I almost always add a bit more as a rule of thumb.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, ok. Thanks Krunky.

I am still in the process of figuring out what amounts I need. At the moment, I am currently adding a little bit more into my second wash, but haven't tried a second wash using just what I put in the first time in quite a while. So I'll give it a go soon and report back results.

Cheers

Valyn

Kava Curious

I use three tablespoons for my first shell and then add four tablespoons to the "wet" root in the strainer to make another 36 oz which I separate into another three shells and lasts over an hour. Not sure if that's a lot but I prefer lighter kava and not the strong ones so it works well for me.

I have about a half pound of washed kava in the fridge. I usually use 4-6 tablespoons per serving. How many servings like that would be in the wet stuff?
Or I guess it may be easier to ask you guys this way:
If I use 6 tablespoons dry kava, how many tablespoons of dry kava would those 6 washed tablespoons be equivalent too?
It must be less right

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
I would say 2 or 3 depending on how effective the first wash was.

It’s not convenient for me to have loads of wet macas laying around in the fridge so I tend to do a second wash immediately after and mix together with first wash. First wash in about 27oz and second in about 9oz. To make up a litre. I find this still makes a good strong mix and doesn’t waste any.

I feel by adding more to the second wash, that extra added is on its first wash, surely this is inefficient?