What's new

Kava Side Effects Serious stomach cramps, bloating and other effects. Wondering if Kava could be the culprit

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
Hi all. So as my username suggests, I'm a total Kava newbie. I've been lurking these forums for a while and finally decided to start an account.

After doing research and whatnot, I decided that I would go with an instant Kava to start with so I can try it out easily to see how I like it. I've read that this is a good way for new Kava users to start.

The vendor I bought it from is a trusted vendor of mine and i made sure the instant kava is of the Noble variety. I can tell it's good because it brings that numbness to your mouth when you drink it.

I've had effects from it a small handful of times, but it was very mild and short lived. Most of the time I felt hardly anything. I figured that's because of reverse tolerance so I decided to keep testing it out.

The packaging says Instant Hawaiian kava kava root extract, and it's 40% kavalactones. I'm unsure if mentioning vendors is allowed here or not.

Anyways, so I noticed an onset of uncomfortable symptoms shortly after my kava experimentation. The first one that popped up was stomach bloating, stomach cramps, and frequent urination. It got to the point to where one night I felt symptoms similar to that of a UTI. I wrote it off as me drinking too much water with my doses and decided to try it again but with a smaller water ratio.

As time went on (a week or so of trying it), the stomach cramps would reappear after using it to the point where I thought it was period cramps. It didn't stop there.

All night last night (after only having 4 teaspoons of kava that day), my body temperature was high even though the house wasn't super warm. The cramps continued to where it felt more like cramps from built up gas. I tried to take care of it by going to the bathroom but I was constipated. I couldn't sleep until 5 am.

Now the pain isn't as bad, I was able to go to the bathroom this morning but the bloated feeling is still present.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed and kind of concerned about my kava experience so far. I may be one of those unlucky people who just can't tolerate it, but I'm wondering if maybe it's just the instant variety that doesn't sit with me.

I remember drinking Yogi tea with kava a few years ago and had none of these issues. I recognize Yogi tea and Kava powder are not the exact same thing, but I figured if tea with Kava in it didn't bother me, neither would the powder.

With all of this being said, I'm considering getting an aluball and trying out some traditional kava root. I don't want to be so quick to stop kava entirely without giving it a chance. Im thinking that I would have a better experience, after all of the things I read where people agreed it's more effective and less expensive than the instant kind.

Once I take that leap and try it, if I experience these side effects again, then unfortunately I'll have to discontinue using it.

I've come here for any advice, insight, and recommendations you may have about my situation. Thank you for your time. I really want to enjoy the benefits and effects of this plant.

As a side note, I have no history of issues with my liver and stomach.

Thanks again!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm unsure if mentioning vendors is allowed here or not.
We're quite an open platform. You may name vendors, link products, videos, and anything else related to kava.

It sounds like that 40% extract may not be agreeing with your system. I can't speak too much to kavalactone products like these imparting the entire kava experience. Personally, if it were me, I'd get some traditional type of kava, a strainer cloth (or just two nylon paint strainers from the local hardware/paint store) and make up some traditional kava.

I suggest the vendors listed on our page, but one that certainly has the least ability to cause stomach issues is The Kava Society NZ's kava. It takes a little longer to get to you if you're in the states, but it's by far the easiest kava to drink with the least up front side effects. The producer goes a few steps further than most with the cleaning and preparing of the root prior to grinding. It reduces the taste a good bit, and the bitterness is absent. Just pure smooth kava. Still tastes like kava, so don't get me wrong. It's not ambrosia, but it's good sight better than your traditional waka.

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
Thanks for your insight:) In that case I'll add to this post that the Kava was purchased from Kraken K@. I am a K@ user and turned to Kava as an alternative. I want to incorporate Kava into my life to lessen my frequency of K@ use so I don't become dependent on it. As a side note I haven't experienced any of these bad effects until I started using the Kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks for your insight:) In that case I'll add to this post that the Kava was purchased from Kraken K@. I am a K@ user and turned to Kava as an alternative. I want to incorporate Kava into my life to lessen my frequency of K@ use so I don't become dependent on it. As a side note I haven't experienced any of these bad effects until I started using the Kava.
Unfortunately kava purchased from other herbal vendors consistently fails to live up to the quality able to be procured by devoted kava vendors. Generally these kava vendors will spend countless hours searching and sourcing the highest quality kavas. So your stomach pain may be related to product quality more so than it just being a kava product.

Kava-noob

Kava Curious
That is good to know. Whenever I'm ready to give Kava another shot (which I definitely will), I'll purchase from a vendor that sells Kava only and I'll look into the vendors on the site and the one you mentioned.