What's new

SEVERE extrapyramidal side effects.

mlenny

Kava Curious
From N@H Stone. I had it loads of times in the past with zero problems, but now ANY amount of it gives me severe extrapyramidal symptoms. What could possibly be going on? Because I am not the slightest bit happy about it.

Thanks,
Matthew

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
From N@H Stone. I had it loads of times in the past with zero problems, but now ANY amount of it gives me severe extrapyramidal symptoms. What could possibly be going on? Because I am not the slightest bit happy about it.

Thanks,
Matthew
It's stronger than any of the other kavas because it's 100% lateral root.

When you say "extrapyramidal symptoms" could you expound on that? Are you talking about "The shakes"? If so, you're just consuming too much, and need to cut back or use a lesser strength kava.

mlenny

Kava Curious
It's stronger than any of the other kavas because it's 100% lateral root.

When you say "extrapyramidal symptoms" could you expound on that? Are you talking about "The shakes"? If so, you're just consuming too much, and need to cut back or use a lesser strength kava.
Dystonia, spasms, chorea. It was a very low dose. I brewed 17 grams and only had maybe a third of ipt before it started. It happened a couple times recently from stone.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Dystonia, spasms, chorea. It was a very low dose. I brewed 17 grams and only had maybe a third of ipt before it started. It happened a couple times recently from stone.
Run me through your preparation procedure. It sounds to me like you're just getting kava'd up. Some of the more extreme kava effects can easily mimic these conditions you list, and are experienced by some people regularly because they shoot for them...yours truly.

You sound like you're sensitive to kava, and need to really reduce that dose. Stone, again is 100% lateral root with a KL% usually 10%+. It is 100% noble, and the chemotype is nothing crazy or strange.

1660859054805.png

It's definitely going to boil down to a "YOU" thing.

mlenny

Kava Curious
Run me through your preparation procedure. It sounds to me like you're just getting kava'd up. Some of the more extreme kava effects can easily mimic these conditions you list, and are experienced by some people regularly because they shoot for them...yours truly.

You sound like you're sensitive to kava, and need to really reduce that dose. Stone, again is 100% lateral root with a KL% usually 10%+. It is 100% noble, and the chemotype is nothing crazy or strange.

It's definitely going to boil down to a "YOU" thing.
I figured it was either me or some sort of contamination. Me is probably more likely.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I figured it was either me or some sort of contamination. Me is probably more likely.
The chances of contamination with Nakamal @ Home is slim to none. They test every single batch they receive per any and all FDA recommendations.

Also, now you're drinking Isa too? Sounds like you're shooting for extremely strong kavas, and you shouldn't be.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think it is exclusively kava that is responsible for "chorea, dystonia, and spasms". I have felt this at times, and I think it is an individual neurological pattern that many of us have. The symptoms can be noticed more with a rapid onset of kava such as in the case of having a large serving early in the day or with too little food in the stomach. I think it has something to do with us not relaxing enough, or overworking our nerves, whether we realize it or not, causing them to "fall dead" temporarily during attempts to relax consciously.

Think of it like this, someone working a fast paced job might relax their arms, posture, eyes, and diaphragm a little bit in between rushes, yet not completely to the fullest potential of relaxation. The human body becomes confused because now there are two states (or more than one state) of relaxation known, and it becomes less simple which one to choose from at any given tiime.

This can be remedied with awareness, breathing, getting enough sleep, and being sure not to have kava and caffeine at the same time. I don't think kava makes this condition better or worse in the long term, however it may help us realize we have the sensations to begin with by pushing our bodies to relax so that we may do so more intentionally.

There is an equal chance the condition has nothing to do with what I said, however I feel that these kinds of spasms are natural product of our livelihoods and the ways we use our bodies, and that in any event the information I provided is useful.

If it's something you wish to treat, you can try Skullcap (scutellaria laterfloria), in the form of a warm tea. Skullcap is a nerve tonic which is especially useful at bedtime.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan

Thanks,
Matthew
Have you started taking any new medications or herbs that could be conflicting? If this reaction is a new development as you said, I would look into if anything has changed in terms of that. If there is nothing new on that end of things, then this is something that is really strange I have not heard of before.

I second what the others have said and suggest toning it down. I've recently had to tone down my doses because I found my typical dose (although I generally enjoyed its strength) was too strong for me and the negatives were beginning to outweigh the pros. Primarily next day sleepiness and such, but productivity was also effected which kinda sucked. Obviously this isn't as severe as what you are experiencing, but my point is, everyone can respond differently to Kava. Perhaps a lowering of dose is all you need. :)

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
Have you started taking any new medications or herbs that could be conflicting?
To add my anectode, I recently tried out passionflower in conjuction with kava (after reading a study posted here) and placebo or not it was the first time in a looong time i've had the spins and was pretty off balance stumbling around, I wouldn't be suprised if that might be the case!