What's new

Shakas Kava Test Results

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'm only posting these shitty tests I did to show this; although Dr. Lebot said any solvent will work for the color test, it appears to only be relative to samples tested with the same solvent...otherwise, as I'll show here,
using Isopropyl Alc. rather than Acetone gives results that make Noble kava's look like Tudei.
You'll also notice how drastic the lighting and angle can change the way the sample appears.
I sampled the Noble GHK Boroguru and a Mystery Non-vendor Waka, one group with Acetone and one group with Isopropyl.

all pics are from these samples ... so, clearly, isopropyl sucks and will try to fool you.
and notice how drastically different the waka looks in the 2nd picture...even though that picture is of the same exact glass from the 1st picture

dreggerz

Kava Curious
I'm having the same problem with my lighting as we'll. I have used various angles with my photos and receive drastic differences at times. Does any one have a good standard of the direction of light source. I've been using the sun

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Thanks a ton for this shakes.Its very difrent. But I don't really consider 70% alcohol, to actualy be a solvent. 70% I believe just has too much water. I wonder If 91% alcohol, which is the strongest you can perchase, may yeld different results. Now I own a small still. I could make 91 into 95%, which is the strongest that alcohol can possibly be. But I don't know that the 91% to 95% would make much of a difference. But I bet 91% verses 70% would yield different results. 91% can be purchased at Walmart. Just an extra factor to think about. I believe you can perchase pure ethanol, at the auto parts store, if I remember correctly. I believe they use it as a fuel additive. Anyway, great job. You saved me the time, and trouble, of having to test my GHK Boroguru. I just got in the mail today. Actually I wouldn't bother testing anything from GHK. Chris, has top notch quality control. I can feel the Boroguru kicking in as we speak. Also nice avatar, there @shakas . I was wondering if we could get you in the yearbook club. You interested? You truly are such a valuable part of this community. We can get @HeadHodge , on the job? Much love. Roaddog....

jemo

Kava Curious
Hey so I tried this with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. I mixed about 1g of kava with 10 mL IPA. I had two controls (two KWK kavas) and one sample that I wanted to test on nobility. All of the tests resulted in a light yellow color. I did not see the orange coloration isopropyl alcohol is supposed to induce in noble kava.
What do you make of this?
The sample on the right is the test, mid and left samples are KWK.
IMG_20200509_004437-01.jpeg

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey so I tried this with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. I mixed about 1g of kava with 10 mL IPA. I had two controls (two KWK kavas) and one sample that I wanted to test on nobility. All of the tests resulted in a light yellow color. I did not see the orange coloration isopropyl alcohol is supposed to induce in noble kava.
What do you make of this?
The sample on the right is the test, mid and left samples are KWK.
View attachment 10375
I have found the best way to do the "at home" acetone test, which is highly variable to say the least, is to have a known noble, a known tudei, and then the sample I am testing. I have always stuck with acetone vs. IPA. If you want to further test the IPA I would suggest having a known tudei in the mix to judge the coloration.