What's new

Shamanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

exit stage left
I didn't want to derail the thread about meditation. My spiritual path was a huge question mark, raised Christian but didn't agree with it, so ended up religion-less for much of my life. I came across Shamanism in a book, in that book they referred to Celtic Shamanism, but through my research I see that what is practiced by western people is usually referred to as Neo-Shamanism in the literature. Still trying to figure out if that's good or bad. I mean, I don't want to be guilty of cultural appropriation, but whatever spiritual draw I've had in my life brought me to it.

@Mrbinx69 , you gave me a lot of information on the meditation thread but I'm not sure if I understand it all.

@Mrbinx69 said, "Shamanism is a connection with mother earth and the universe, through Presence first, plants second, rituals third, and ideology never"

Yes, I totally believe this. Was I speaking like I believed something else? I don't see any ideology in Shamanism. From what I've been reading and practicing, plants aren't needed to "journey", I just use a recorded track of drums and rattles. But I do want to try and see if kava will have any effect on my experience, if it's not disrespectful to either the spiritual practice or the nature of the kava.

Most of what I've been practicing about Shamanism are the journeys, as described by Sandra Ingerman and Michael Harner, in which the person on the journey gets to an altered state through rhythmic drumming/chanting/rattling/instruments. They then take their journey to one of the three worlds (lower, middle, upper) The lower world is where people go to first, to meet animal guides. The upper world is usually second, where you can meet human or human like guides that can advise you. I don't know much about the middle world yet. I'm not explaining it very well. I do know that I made many trips into my own personal lower world, am familiar with the layout of it, and of a fox and a wolf, the fox is around to cheer me up with her mischievous side and usually has advice for me on overcoming social problems. The wolf has led me to places where I am challenged and learn to grow stronger from those challenges. In the upper world, I reconnected with an aunt I never knew in life because of her early death, who said we were similar people and helped me get through some really rough times, and not end up taking the path she did.

Is it real? I don't think so. I mean, not in the sense that I'm literally meeting my aunt. I think it's all coming from me. I think everything I experience is in my subconscious, but does that make it unreal? Not in my opinion. If it is all about opening up to the universe, and the universe communicates through all of us, then I don't question what happens when I strap on headphones, listen to drums, get myself into the proper state, and learn the answers to things that are bothering me - even if those answers are coming from me myself.

I've never had another person to talk about this with, so replies are certainly welcome.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
That's the essence of it all. Yeah sorry I didn't mean to feel like you were wrong or I was rectifiing something just speaking from the limited knowledge I have.
Everything is you. That's the ultimate lesson. That doesn't make it untrue for sure.

Have you asked your family if there was an early death ?
I've never particularly met a spirit animal but Ive had visions of animals and some have correlated. I'll have to check out these drum tracks.

What did you not understand about the meditation ?
I love helping so anything I can answer I'm happy to explain in as many different ways as needed.

exit stage left
If you mean my aunt, yes, my family corroborated that she was my mother's sister and died in her twenties, when my mother was a teenager.

I definitely recommend the book "The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner. It's a good read. It took me a long time, probably about a year, to really learn to apply what's in the book and it wasn't until I realized that it WAS all me, that there was no magical transportation or talking animals, that I wasn't waiting to be TAKEN somewhere, that I was driving, that it started to click and I was able to get great insights from the meditations - advice and insight I guess I had inside me all along, I just needed to unlock it in this way.

I may sound nuts, but it's provided a lot of comfort for me. And I just do it for myself, every so often. I'm just building my rituals and solo practice. It would be interesting to be part of a group or to even help someone else find part of their healing like that.

The website soundstrue.com has a few Shamanism resources. They have audiotracks of drumming and such that are better than what I've found on youtube (but unfortunately not free).

I have never tried this sort of meditation with kava and am thinking of trying it tonight, as long as it wouldn't be disrespectful.

exit stage left
Is Eckhart Tolle regarded favourably? I really have no idea.

I'm still not sure how I feel about "neo-shamanism"... am I just playing at spirituality? Would a more traditional shaman laugh at me?

I mean, I believe pretty much anything can be real. But I also wonder sometimes if the entire world isn't just in my mind. What we experience is filtered through our own lense, after all. So my reality is mine alone and your reality is yours.

there's been a lot about cultural appropriation in the news (ie protests over the name of the Redskins, Rachel Dolezal) Can spirituality be appropriated?

For quite a while I considered myself an atheist too... I'm not sure what I believe. Whether there's something big out there, or if it's just created by my mind. I love the fact that it's ok to question things. Thank god I was born now and not 200 years ago.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I really don't know how he's regarded.
Lol I love him tho he's hilarious and has helped me alot with his simplicity and directness.
He's not a spiritual teacher, or anything fancy, he's just a guy

The human mind is a master of over complicating. To reduce things to a grasp able level . To say here I am. Here is this. I understand this. I don't understand this.
This fits here and it's called this so then I can do this with that and go here, or can't do that because of this. And what's there reality like is it the same .. etc. Etc.

This is what's revered to as the how and why.

There are three aspects of religion, science and philosophy and they all become very confusing and misinterpreted when they're not seperated.
How we exist ... not what were concerned with.
Why we exist ... not what we're concerned with.
THAT we exist... all I am concerned with ever.
THAT we you exist is the whole focus of presence and meditation...

So when the mind comes in it wants to know how and why and then religion and science are born. That's all mind activity. That destroys realization and destroys your ability to sense who you are beyond content.

Content is how and why.
Consciousness is that .

Can you see that none of what others think or say including me can ever express the totality of the THAT NESS of BEING.

exit stage left
I think my problem is that I've always loved taking things apart to see how they worked. That, and the fact that as a writer/director/actor I'm always asking "why" and looking for the motivation in things/people/their actions.

Do you think it's possible to have a foot in both camps? To love the pursuit of knowledge, but still have times where you sense your youness, no thoughts/judgements attached?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yes that's the essence of being an awake human.

It's the compulsive how and why.. or compulsive thinking that is destructive.
Not being able to stop thinking and sense the aliveness ...

Hold your hand out and close your eyes and ask how do I know I have a hand. Without touching anything .

The mind may say. Well I don't know. Or I do because I know I do.
But can you feel that mysterious sensation of hand

Status
Not open for further replies.