What's new

Share how you like to flavor your kava

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I flavor my Kava with more Kava :)
I am with you. Early on I tried mixing all kinds of things in and with my kava. I figured if I could get just the right blend of sweetness that it would taste better. In the end all of it just tasted like a more complex and nuanced version of kava awful. Water (room temp when ready to drink), kava - down the hatch.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I will say out of all of the things I did mix with my kava one of the best was a vanilla flavored coffee creamer, very sweet, thick, and the fat helped kick it up a notch.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I will say out of all of the things I did mix with my kava one of the best was a vanilla flavored coffee creamer, very sweet, thick, and the fat helped kick it up a notch.
So just to clarify, it was the vanilla creamer, not the vanilla syrup for coffee ?

Palmetto

Thank God!
I feel like quoting the movie Full Metal Jacket here about pantywaists. Warm kava tastes fine. Maybe tudei or extract tastes hard to drink, but otherwise, if you can't stand the taste, go back to your Starbucks lattes or whatever smoothie. Not trying to offend anyone, but a bead kava sure as hell tastes better than a good K@.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I don't like the taste of Kava and no, i will not go back to "my" starbucks or smoothie :p

What I like to do is knead the kava with orange juice instead of water. This way, there is less liquid to swallow and it is easier to drink.

I don't consume K@, but it tastes better to me.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
While I never flavor my 'awa/kava it is worth noting that it has been going on a long time-
In 1782 Hawai'i "King" Kamehameha is documented flavoring beverage from the cultivar Kumakua,
he mixes it with sugar cane juice (they name the variety!)
and tumeric (olena) and water from a named coconut- niu lelo.

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor

jonaspmd

found kava
Carbonated ;)

Otherwise, decaf coffee works for me. My issue with combining flavors and why I eventually did carbonation is I never found anything that actually blends. Would anyone else agree? It always tastes like two separate flavors at once, instead of a synthesis. Coffee is the closest it comes for my tastebuds.
100%. My default method is carbonated mineral water, stir in kava and strain with a fine mesh metal strainer. Fizzy water completely changes the taste. This method is similar to Aluball, probably more effective as you can stir. For the second shell you can do a second wash, then add fresh powder, so it's always two washes. This method yields one shell at the time, but it's quick though, like Aluball. Not sure if fizzy water would work for batch kneading. Carbonated water is obviously ice cold, but never noticed any loss in efficacy vs traditional prep.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Carbonated ;)

Otherwise, decaf coffee works for me. My issue with combining flavors and why I eventually did carbonation is I never found anything that actually blends. Would anyone else agree? It always tastes like two separate flavors at once, instead of a synthesis. Coffee is the closest it comes for my tastebuds.
100%. My default method is carbonated mineral water, stir in kava and strain with a fine mesh metal strainer. Fizzy water completely changes the taste. This method is similar to Aluball, probably more effective as you can stir. For the second shell you can do a second wash, then add fresh powder, so it's always two washes. This method yields one shell at the time, but it's quick though, like Aluball. Not sure if fizzy water would work for batch kneading. Carbonated water is obviously ice cold, but never noticed any loss in efficacy vs traditional prep.

I tried the idea of carbonated mineral water.
But it didn't work out so well for me.
Because I drink out of a shaker bottle. So when you shake your kava and a carbonated beverage in a sealed shaker bottle, it turns into a DHPD :
(Dangerous High Pressurized Device)

jonaspmd

found kava
I tried the idea of carbonated mineral water.
But it didn't work out so well for me.
Because I drink out of a shaker bottle. So when you shake your kava and a carbonated beverage in a sealed shaker bottle, it turns into a DHPD :
(Dangerous High Pressurized Device)
Never tried shaking, but can see that happening. As I mentioned, I stir in that big fine mesh strainer. Without one, I think stirring in a cup or bowl powder amount equal to your single shell, then straining through your normal strainer bag should do it. I think it is the remaining CO2, but also saltiness that change the taste. You don't really want a lot of CO2 remaining, as kava burp! is the main drawback of this method.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I discovered/created my favorite to flavor it, just recently.
I've basically made a Reese's flavored kava.
I got the idea, when I was in the store and came across these jars of powdered peanuts.
I thought that would be a great way to flavor things, that's a lot easier than using peanut butter.
So, I mixed the powdered peanuts, some cocoa powder, and a sweetener.
It was amazing

Attachments