What's new

Should I be worried about a drop in Kava supply?

Grogorio

Kava Curious
Hey all! So I was just thinking and I first of all want to congratulate all the Kava vendors out there. Maybe it's just because now that I have embraced Kava into my life just like I have embraced coffee and I'm more aware now, it just seems that Kava is really picking up popularity in the U.S. Again, congrats to the vendors, because this means more success for you. But I'm worried about a couple things. One is because of a drop in supply, the cost of Kava seems to be going up. Second, because Kava isn't really a regulated thing, I'm afraid some vendors may start resorting to shady tactics like cutting the Kava with flour or something like that, or even slipping in some Tudei. Should I be worried about this?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah. Having only recently come back to kava, my mind is kinda blown that there are now kava BARS!! WHA?!?!?! I never would have suspected that happening! If Fijians are drinking alcohol, though, then I'm guessing it isn't super likely that Americans are gonna abandon alcohol for kava, en masse. But when I have read news articles (which are probably over-blown...the news tends to sensationalize everything), I've found myself wondering how a couple handfuls of island nations with limited land could bear the burden of trying to support the whole world's gullet. Again, its probably not gonna get to that point: alcohol is cheap, easy to drink, and can be made to taste good. But still...
I wonder how much land is used for coffee production?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Hey all! So I was just thinking and I first of all want to congratulate all the Kava vendors out there. Maybe it's just because now that I have embraced Kava into my life just like I have embraced coffee and I'm more aware now, it just seems that Kava is really picking up popularity in the U.S. Again, congrats to the vendors, because this means more success for you. But I'm worried about a couple things. One is because of a drop in supply, the cost of Kava seems to be going up. Second, because Kava isn't really a regulated thing, I'm afraid some vendors may start resorting to shady tactics like cutting the Kava with flour or something like that, or even slipping in some Tudei. Should I be worried about this?
The shady tactics you speak of were much more rampant several years ago, it's a transition the industry has already gone through. Though, it wasn't the vendors who were responsible, it was happening because of some middle men, wholesalers and some farmers. That is not to say it has ever gone away completely or won't become more prevalent again. We are already seeing a rise in the popularity of using peeled stems as kava in Tonga because so much of the supply has been purchased, Pacific Island communities in NZ seem to deal with a lot of quality issues and there can be come questionable kava in Fiji as well. The current assumption (or hope), is that there has been a huge rise in kava growing in response to it's growing popularity and the allure of money to be made by the local farmers that will lead to an excess of good quality roots available in the coming years.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
But yes... don't assume the whole world will like kava when they "find out about it " I've shown at least 50 and not one has actually become a kava head like me... my dad drinks it every day I make it . But if I don't make it he won't go buy it ...
Just how it is.. thank god ... now if it's made into an extract that's delicious were in trouble ... but even then people won't always enjoy the effects

Grogorio

Kava Curious
The shady tactics you speak of were much more rampant several years ago, it's a transition the industry has already gone through. Though, it wasn't the vendors who were responsible, it was happening because of some middle men, wholesalers and some farmers. That is not to say it has ever gone away completely or won't become more prevalent again. We are already seeing a rise in the popularity of using peeled stems as kava in Tonga because so much of the supply has been purchased, Pacific Island communities in NZ seem to deal with a lot of quality issues and there can be come questionable kava in Fiji as well. The current assumption (or hope), is that there has been a huge rise in kava growing in response to it's growing popularity and the allure of money to be made by the local farmers that will lead to an excess of good quality roots available in the coming years.
I hope those assumptions are right! I would like to see a rise in U.S. grown Kava or better regulation of imported. Hawaiian seems to be of good quality.

Grogorio

Kava Curious
But yes... don't assume the whole world will like kava when they "find out about it " I've shown at least 50 and not one has actually become a kava head like me... my dad drinks it every day I make it . But if I don't make it he won't go buy it ...
Just how it is.. thank god ... now if it's made into an extract that's delicious were in trouble ... but even then people won't always enjoy the effects
True. I know my wife would enjoy the effects if she could actually bring herself to drink it. She hates the taste. I actually do enjoy the nutty or earthy tones of kava but it's defiantly an aquired taste. Many love the taste of coffee or whiskey but those are just as much of an aquried taste. I guess the difference is they are easy to mix with other stuff to make them taste good.

Grogorio

Kava Curious
Yeah. Having only recently come back to kava, my mind is kinda blown that there are now kava BARS!! WHA?!?!?! I never would have suspected that happening! If Fijians are drinking alcohol, though, then I'm guessing it isn't super likely that Americans are gonna abandon alcohol for kava, en masse. But when I have read news articles (which are probably over-blown...the news tends to sensationalize everything), I've found myself wondering how a couple handfuls of island nations with limited land could bear the burden of trying to support the whole world's gullet. Again, its probably not gonna get to that point: alcohol is cheap, easy to drink, and can be made to taste good. But still...
I wonder how much land is used for coffee production?
I wonder too...And the climate to grow kava has to be just right...Not like we can grow it on the vast empty lots of land we have in the mid west...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
This is exactly why most, if not all, on this forum believe in rigorous testing programs. While there is some debate on the health effects and consumption of Tudei, I think we all agree we want to know what the kava in the bag is. I quite frankly am a proponent of not only testing but more strict labeling. Provide me a label with KL%, batch # (that I can look up the COA), Chemotype, strain (or mix). The more information the better...

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
This is exactly why most, if not all, on this forum believe in rigorous testing programs. While there is some debate on the health effects and consumption of Tudei, I think we all agree we want to know what the kava in the bag is. I quite frankly am a proponent of not only testing but more strict labeling. Provide me a label with KL%, batch # (that I can look up the COA), Chemotype, strain (or mix). The more information the better...
I totally agree. Reliable product testing and truth in labeling are so important in the herbal industry and with the lack of regulations, we have to rely on vendors. That's why I've suggested that we encourage all vendors to batch label their products and share test data. This type of thing could also be beneficial if any govt agency should try to claim kava is unsafe in the future.

Elias

There was a problem with middlemen in Fiji using caesin powder (like coffee whitener) to cut it. Kava isn'
Supposed to be white when mixed and this notion the whiter it is the better the quality. Absolute rubbish. Distributors usually use the kasa to lighten the color and add weight.

Thankfully people are more aware these days.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
There was a problem with middlemen in Fiji using caesin powder (like coffee whitener) to cut it. Kava isn'
Supposed to be white when mixed and this notion the whiter it is the better the quality. Absolute rubbish. Distributors usually use the kasa to lighten the color and add weight.

Thankfully people are more aware these days.
Casein? Hmm. That could be the next post-workout trend! Retail casein powder costs almost the same as kava powder.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
When I first began using Kava I thought it might be interesting to find out if it could be grown in mainland U.S.A. Unfortunately there are very few States or locations that have the right climate, but it appears that the Hawaiian varieties could be grown in San Diego and other Kava's could be grown in Key West, Florida and other nearby Islands. Unfortunately where I live in Arizona the climate is too hot and dry unless you created an artificial environment with shaded areas and swamp coolers !

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
When I first began using Kava I thought it might be interesting to find out if it could be grown in mainland U.S.A. Unfortunately there are very few States or locations that have the right climate, but it appears that the Hawaiian varieties could be grown in San Diego and other Kava's could be grown in Key West, Florida and other nearby Islands. Unfortunately where I live in Arizona the climate is too hot and dry unless you created an artificial environment with shaded areas and swamp coolers !
The Florida Keys are so close but 2 factors make it a no go:
1. The winter temps drop below 50 F every couple years. Just cold enough to wreck kava.
2. The soil is typical Florida sand. Kava just seems to prefer more mineral-rich soil. Look at all the places that grow it in the Pacific: all high islands with volcanic soil. Cultures that settled on atolls tended to lose their kava unless there was a high island nearby for kava gardens.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
1. The winter temps drop below 50 F every couple years. Just cold enough to wreck kava.
2. The soil is typical Florida sand. Kava just seems to prefer more mineral-rich soil. Look at all the places that grow it in the Pacific: all high islands with volcanic soil. Cultures that settled on atolls tended to lose their kava unless there was a high island nearby for kava gardens.
There is also a lack of land in the Florida keys. because its really just a thin strip.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
How about U.S. Virgin Islands ?

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
How about U.S. Virgin Islands ?
Yes, the USVI or Puerto Rico could work better. They have a strong dry season, which might be a little challenging, though the winters are warm enough. And of course there are hurricanes.

If I could pick a place outside of the Pacific to grow kava, it would be hard to beat the Caribbean coast of Central America: Steady rain with no major dry season, mostly outside the hurricane belt, and rich soil. Other options might include northern Brazil, west Africa, far northern Queensland, northeast Madagascar, or Indonesia.

If a region can grow cocoa, rubber or vanilla, it can probably grow kava.