What's new

Skin reaction and questions about different grinds

infraredz

BULA!
I have normally consumed Stone which, is *in my experience* a medium grind. I picked up some Fu'u the other day and after two sessions, started to see the worst of the Kava skin reaction I've ever got. Sometimes with Stone, (I think when I'm not diligent about staying hydrated) I get dry and flaky skin which is no problem. I've been drinking stone for a few months FWIW.

However after these two sessions with the Fu'u, I noticed a redness associated with the skin flakes (around my armpits and my upper thighs). They look like redish stretch marks.

I'm wondering if the incredibly fine grind of the Fu'u is what did this since I normally don't have this sort of issue and it seemed to happen the day after my first two Fu'u sessions. I would imagine that consuming the actual plant matter is probably directly proportional to the skin reaction and was wondering if that's what could have caused it.

It's not painful or itchy or anything, but I decided to start taking Niacin (per N@H suggestion) and stay much more hydrated.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Have you been drinking kava pretty frequently over the last couple weeks? It may not be the Fu'u, it may be time to take a break from kava altogether until it goes away.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If taking a break isn't in your schedule (my schedule calls for no kava breaks) then switch to a coarser grind. It's those fine grind kavas that can really aggravate your skin and cause dermapothy. I know this from personal experience exactly like your own.

Dan

Kava Enthusiast
Daily drinker here and, yeah, a few weeks of drinking Fu'u daily last winter was the only time I've really had any manifestation of kava-related dermopathy (dry skin on back and actual skin flaking on feet and ankles).  It does seem a drawback of its ultra-fine grind.  Getting that reaction after only two days is pretty indicative, though; I'd say lay off it and then try it again in a few weeks.  If you get the same reaction I'd be inclined to say this variety might not be a good fit for you. 

I'd personally be into a coarser Fu'u grind myself, too.

infraredz

BULA!
Alright, it does sound like I was right about the super fine grind. I only had two sessions worth but now I might need to take a break from it and just use it for blends.

Plus, I have some Solomon's sitting in my mailbox. Anyone want to tell me what I'll be in for? 

The Fu'u made it kind of hard to fall asleep last night so I'm wondering if Solomon's has that same 'stimulatory' type effect.