What's new

Sleep

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I use kava to squeeze 7 hours of sleep out of 5. Those of you who do this will know what I mean.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
Anyone having an issue with nightmares? I mean I don't truly care I wake up and go back to bed but my dreams are nightly and insane. I mean I'm on the verge of lucid dreaming at times. I can always remember them, they are often some massive natural disaster or something terrible happening to someone I know. I never did have an issue with vivid/unpleasant dreams until Kava.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I "popped" a few nights ago. It was odd, because I first started having the auditory hallucinations, and then I woke myself up just enough to realize it was the Todash Chimes (Stephen King term), and then after a few minutes I was able to hop out of bed while leaving my body behind.

As far as bad dreams go, that doesn't seem to be an issue.

With that in mind, there was a Kava Crisis in the earlier parts of this year. Vanuatu was hit pretty hard by cyclones, and Fiji fell victim to massive flooding. You might be hearing the Song of the Kava, crying out in pain. It might make you feel better to deal with the problem directly, by giving to charities that operate in Vanuatu or Fiji. http://www.charity-charities.org/Vanuatu-charities/Vanuatu.html

NDG, what sort of kava are you normally drinking?

krunkedout

Kava Lover
NDG said:
Anyone having an issue with nightmares? I mean I don't truly care I wake up and go back to bed but my dreams are nightly and insane. I mean I'm on the verge of lucid dreaming at times. I can always remember them, they are often some massive natural disaster or something terrible happening to someone I know. I never did have an issue with vivid/unpleasant dreams until Kava.
did these dreams start right when you began kava or have they recently began to happen whilst drinking kava?

kl.Dubkava

Kava Curious
I get some pretty vivid dreams when I drink kava. I always have, but they are definitely ramped up a couple of notches the nights that I have some kava.

kl.NDG

Kava Enthusiast
thanks for the responses guys.

Phillip- I have been drinking mostly high kavain vanuatu kava lately. I generally only have high kavain strains.

Krunkedout- I am pretty sure they began with kava but it's hard to tell. I was smoking a tremendous amount of weed and quit when I started kava, I had some withdrawal from the MJ. I was smoking a couple g's a day. That can definitely cause odd dreams.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I, on the other hand, have no dreams with kava. Sleep is more akin to time travel. After my nightly batch of stone it's as if I blinked, and I'm awake again....going to bed at 12:00 AM and getting up at 5:45 AM may have something to do with it though.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I use kava often for insomnia, although it doesnt always work. Sometimes, I think it contributes to it. As for dreams, I often have very vivid dreams. I havent noticed anything unusual with kava but whenever you mess with sedatives you run the risk of altering your sleep cycling which can lead to changes in dreaming.

As I side note, I find phenibut to cause some of the craziest dreams I've ever had.

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
I was so excited to receive my Paradise kava yesterday! I made my very 1st batch, like it said in the instructions - 2 tbsp to 2 cups of water. I shared 1 cup with my mom and the other cup I drank. I drank it slowly, taking gulps, and within 1 hour consumed it all. The last gulp I had was just before bedtime.

I can't really say I felt anything extraordinarly different about myself after consuming it. Perhaps I should have drunk it all at once..quicker? Any feedback on that anyone? In any case, I went to sleep alright, but I woke up with a slight panic attack which is my problem (ptsd) and why I bought the Kava. So, I was very surprised and disappointed. It took me along time to fall asleep after that. I felt on edge, kind of alert. I finally did manage to fall asleep, though, and ended up having several wierd and vivid dreams (none of which I can remember now,thankfully hehe) . Between those dreams I woke up several times. It was very strange experience. Aside from the anxiety, I did actually feel somehow more relaxed in a removed and spacy,far away way. It was like somehow I didn't really care if I had anxiety... I could somehow just accept it. Still, I am disappointed my anxiety was still there.

So, I have some questions.. First of all, how much Kava to water are you guys using? How many cups do you drink? Also, when is the best time to take the Kava for sleeping? Just before bed or minutes/hour before bed? Does having these dreams from the Kava make you wake up more during the night?

I think for sure, I will drink the full 2 cups tonight, and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Sounds like you're not getting enough at once.

Drink it all, and double or triple your kava amount, and use the same volume of water.

Generally the recommended instruction is like...more of a starting guide for a kava that you can drink for hours.

You're looking for more of what I do on a daily basis. I drink Kava for the sedating anti-anxiety properties. Try Nakamal@Home's Stone Kava (HIGH in DHM). It's sedating where the Paradise Kava Hawaiian is more of an uplifting kava (higher in kavain).

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
Thanks Kapmcrunk! That is exactly what I am looking for - anti-anxiety and sedating!! I went to the Nakamal's website to look at the Stone Kava, but their home page says they don't ship to Canada, so it's not possible for me to get it. Really bummed that they have that ban because I got my Paradise Kava in 9 days and never had to pay any customs charges !  Is there any other Kava that you know of, that is similar to the Stone's effects, and has a high DHM ?

I guess the Paradise Kava may not have been the right one for me, afterall. I need it for at night. I am okay during they day, and don't have anxiety. I guess for now, I will keep myself open and hopeful to the possiblilities that it will get better, by doing more experimentation . I'll increase the amount of Kava, starting with double, and drink both cups right away. By the way I was just on the Kavasseur blog, and was reading for the 1st time that the guy uses 1 cup of kava ! Hmm..so, that is how he gets such a good krunk ?! I wish I could do that, but unfortunately, I could never afford that !

Thanks so much

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Actually.... Paradise kava offers Fijian which is more sedating, and quite honestly is very similar to stone. Hopefully one day kava will be more understood and they'll lift import bans.

kl.kavashmava

Kava Curious
Thanks for that! Someone recently recommended the Fijian to me as more sedating, and I wrote it down for my next purchase. By the way, what does DHM stand for?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
There are 18 or so main components to kavalactones which DHM or dihydromethysticin is one of. It tends to be more sedating than kavain.

kl.SunnyHours

Kava Curious
Hey Kavashmava!

I, too, am kinda pissed at N@H for straight up not shipping at all to Canada...

I've contacted them telling them that if they'd use USPS/Canada Post for shipping instead of popular courrier services (Fedex, UPS, EMS).

Never heard back from them.

If we ever did get customs fees from USPS it's minimal something like 5$, compared to the equivalent value of your package when using Fedex or UPS.

I order a LOT of stuff online, and the few times I used Fedex I had 75% customs fees, 102% customs fees and another somewhere around 150% the value of my package.

The 3rd time it happened I said "Never Again!". I swore a lot over those bastard courrier service that are "faster".

Purolator also lost one of my suitcase and never gave me a dime for it Either! I had to buy all my winter clothes over again. Man I was pissed!

Haven't paid a single dime for USPS Customs yet. That's on over 30 orders

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What's interesting is that they exclusively use USPS. Every single package I've gotten from Nakamal @ Home has been. I think it's more of a company policy.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Odd, it's usually USPS that screws things up in the US and UPS that appears to be better... Well at least in my area