What's new

Smokey---or Astringent taste profile?

ElKavallero

Kava Curious
I've seen quite a few references to 'smokey' tasting kava, particularly in Fijian strains. I never encountered this, until it dawned on me that this must be the same taste that I have had from some Fijian and Tongan strains, that I've always identified as antiseptic or astringent not smokey...like the smell of a sterile bandage or antiseptic spray.

This interpretation of the taste was automatic in my brain, probably strengthened by the antiseptic and decongestant properties of Kava, I just immediately identified it as a medicinal taste. Now that I have smokey in my brain, I can see where this would be a smokey taste to some...

Do you folks identify this taste as smokey, or medicinal / antiseptic? Is there an actual reason why some kava has this trait?

D

Deleted User01

I haven't had those in a while so I really don't know. Makes me wonder if they are using a low grade fire to help try out the kava. You know that smokey, medicinal taste is often associated with Peaty Smoky Single Malt Scotch. Just saying .....

ElKavallero

Kava Curious
I can say that out of the kavas that I have on hand, KWK Loa Waka, KT Beqas, Gourmet Savusavu and Kava Roots Tongan Choice all have this taste. That's quite a few strains. I bet many just don't identify it as a smokey taste.

Good point about the scotch it should be fairly easy to contact these vendors and get some insight into the drying process

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've seen quite a few references to 'smokey' tasting kava, particularly in Fijian strains. I never encountered this, until it dawned on me that this must be the same taste that I have had from some Fijian and Tongan strains, that I've always identified as antiseptic or astringent not smokey...like the smell of a sterile bandage or antiseptic spray.

This interpretation of the taste was automatic in my brain, probably strengthened by the antiseptic and decongestant properties of Kava, I just immediately identified it as a medicinal taste. Now that I have smokey in my brain, I can see where this would be a smokey taste to some...

Do you folks identify this taste as smokey, or medicinal / antiseptic? Is there an actual reason why some kava has this trait?
An interesting fact about taste and perceptions of it is that we can only taste sweet, salty, sour, bitter, or umami, whereas our sense of smell is in the thousands. A lot of what we think we taste has more to do with our sense of smell and since that can be subjective, there is a good to fair chance there may be varying opinions. Case and point, I never thought of Fijian or Tongan as smoky.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Fire drying is the only option when its starts raining for days after you've harvested and you dont want the kava to mold, its flesh to melt and get dark in color.

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
Some farmers (large scale ones) fire dry to shorten the drying process and increase their output. Our Savusavu farmer does that to meet the high demand of his kava.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Fire drying is the only option when its starts raining for days after you've harvested and you dont want the kava to mold, its flesh to melt and get dark in color.
It is amazing but the flesh does start to melt. The stump of the kava or Lewena will melt real easy if you don't get to it soon enough.
When it melts it is no good and has to be cut away.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Drying it by fire makes sense. But I still wonder if there might be a demand for "smokey" kavas and perhaps done with different woods to import different flavors. Some vendors sell flavored kavas, why not smoky kavas. It would also help mask the taste. How about GHKs new Luau Flavored Moi ... a kava that tastes like pork being roasted over an wood stoked fire. :hungry: I fell like making bacon this morning for some reason.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Drying it by fire makes sense. But I still wonder if there might be a demand for "smokey" kavas and perhaps done with different woods to import different flavors. Some vendors sell flavored kavas, why not smoky kavas. It would also help mask the taste. How about GHKs new Luau Flavored Moi ... a kava that tastes like pork being roasted over an wood stoked fire. :hungry: I fell like making bacon this morning for some reason.
There is a demand for smokey Yerba :)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
A bit of a tangent on the thread, but in reference to what Neil @Kava Time & @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava mentioned - in Vanuatu many people keep harvested and cut green kava buried in a sandpit to prolong its life until it is sold. It lasts a few weeks this way without significant decomposition - could this be an alternative whilst waiting for a sunny spell to sun-dry?

Kava Time

Fiji
Kava Vendor
A bit of a tangent on the thread, but in reference to what Neil @Kava Time & @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava mentioned - in Vanuatu many people keep harvested and cut green kava buried in a sandpit to prolong its life until it is sold. It lasts a few weeks this way without significant decomposition - could this be an alternative whilst waiting for a sunny spell to sun-dry?
Isn't that done to keep the kava green and fresh until its sold in whole form? I think it would be an alternative but if the kava has been washed and chopped up already for drying then thats just adding a tedious step of rewashing while waiting for the sun to come out again. Not really helping solve issue of decomposition when you have harvested already and on the day you begin to dry the weather changes

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
I think the Fiji Loa waka tastes good. Next time I drink it I need to feel the smokey taste. I haven't noticed, but maybe the taste is a bit ashy.