What's new

So....daily and long-term use of kava, with no breaks : what can I expect ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
If i take my kava in the morning and evening, every day, and don't take a break, can I expect a likely, undesirable reaction after a long period of time ?
I do not drink alcohol, btw.
What's the worst that will happen after a long time ? I get dry skin ?

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
If i take my kava in the morning and evening, every day, and don't take a break, can I expect a likely, undesirable reaction after a long period of time ?
This will all depend on how much kava beverage you consume, what cultivars of kava you are drinking and how many cups you drink.
It is interesting that you can drink kava in the morning? I assume you do not farm or have a labor kind of profession. Traditionally kava
would be consumed as an end of day ritual.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
It is interesting that you can drink kava in the morning? I assume you do not farm or have a labor kind of profession. Traditionally kava would be consumed as an end of day ritual.
In the morning, it helps to balance me out, after having caffeine.
Almost immediately after waking up, I will have caffeine to get me going. And then the kava helps level me, so I'm not too wired from the caffeine.
So, because of the 2 balancing each other, I don't get too tired for the day.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
In the morning, it helps to balance me out, after having caffeine.
Almost immediately after waking up, I will have caffeine to get me going. And then the kava helps level me, so I'm not too wired from the caffeine.
So, because of the 2 balancing each other, I don't get too tired for the day.
Quite remarkable. I had forgotten that a friend of mine used to do similar with cacao.
I am still not sure about the dry skin side-effect although he did not get it and also consumed moderate kava in the morning.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I am also amazed to hear that some people drink kava in the morning or throughout the day. For me kava is my "switch off" button. No more work, no more stress, no more chaos. Drinking it in the morning would just feel as peculiar as drinking beer in the morning. But I guess we're all different and have different needs/consumptions patterns :)

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Quite remarkable. I had forgotten that a friend of mine used to do similar with cacao.
I am still not sure about the dry skin side-effect although he did not get it and also consumed moderate kava in the morning.
I experience the dry, itchy, flaky skin sometimes, related it seems to two specific factors:

Consumption level of course. Like 35-45 grams day average, it's pretty fully remissed.

50-70 grams a day average, it can flare up, just an acute annoyance, and fades off with reduced consumption.

However when I was experiencing the dermopathy I was quite dehydrated in general at the time and recently I am much better hydrated and I have been drinking one heck of a lot of kava without developing any noticeable or bothersome dermopathy symptoms I realise suddenly now that I think about it.

So overall quantity of kava consumed is a crucial Factor but so also I believe is level of hydration which if sufficiently adequate can go along way to staving off Dermopathy symptoms.

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
The main thing I would expect is that you won't get as much done if you drink it in the morning, unless perhaps you drink only a moderate amount of a heady kava then. I like to drink my kava in the mid afternoons and I get tired after the session. I couldn't easily do this when I had things to do in the afternoon or evening.

If you drink every day, or nearly so, you may well get skin issues eventually and perhaps a bit of lethargy, but just take a couple of days off each week if this happens.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
... Drinking it in the morning would just feel as peculiar as drinking beer in the morning. But I guess we're all different and have different needs/consumptions patterns :) .
I think that's why I drink it in the morning sometimes. I used to be an alcoholic, and now I can drink something upon waking every now and again, and not feel the guilt associated with alcohol. My wife doesn't care, and it doesn't make me crazy like alcohol. I don't do it all the time, because I will get unmotivated

Jacob Bula

Nobody
If I drink it everyday, morning and night, I will start getting depressed. I've found, that for me, anxiety and excitement are very similar. With too much kava all the time, I don't feel anxious, but I don't feel excited about anything, or care about anything. I don't try new things, or do anything that requires effort. That's why I take frequent breaks, but that's just what works best for me.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Some here drink kava throughout the day to stay focused and relieve stress, but also in the evening or even at night to relax after work.
@Henry is right, it's interesting how different kava works for different people and needs. That's one of its strengths.

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I think it's interesting that most people say that they strictly get sedating results from it.
I thought that that would depend on the strain.
In addition, kava makes me much more social, and I've heard that it has that effect on other people, so it seems like it can be a bit of a stimulant as well

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I think it's interesting that most people say that they strictly get sedating results from it.
I thought that that would depend on the strain.
That's true, but when consumed in larger amounts, essentially every kava strain (also the heady ones) has sedative effects, so this impression also depends on how much kava you drink (or on the concentration of your brew).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
For four years now I have been drinking kava all day every day. I have had no adverse effects from this. On the contrary, I have had a very wide variety of extremely beneficial effects. Also it tastes good, and it feels good. Every single time. Lovely beverage.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
For four years now I have been drinking kava all day every day. I have had no adverse effects from this. On the contrary, I have had a very wide variety of extremely beneficial effects. Also it tastes good, and it feels good. Every single time. Lovely beverage.
If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious what type of "beneficial effects" they are ?
Thought I heard some people have improvements in things like kidney or urinal tract conditions, but wasn't sure if there was something else.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious what type of "beneficial effects" they are ?
Thought I heard some people have improvements in things like kidney or urinal tract conditions, but wasn't sure if there was something else.
You are going to have to ask me that question earlier in the morning, because it’s a very long list

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Imma daily drinker all day every day for some years. This year with the weirdness of society I have upped the amount to at least a cup of dry powder a day. No negative side effects if I stick to clean well peeled kava.

Also I only eat one meal a day at night after drinking kava. I know I am an anomaly here, but it does not effect my activity level if you understand the timing enough. Like I will go snowboarding with a few shells in, but too much will make it to difficult to leave