What's new

Kava Side Effects So I got my wisdom teeth out week, few questions

BourbonMac

I like herbs
I've taken kava the last 2 days, and today I noticed my gums burning in an unusual way. I've 100% confirmed it does help my tinnitus, but maybe it's just too soon or something. I wouldn't think kava could cause some kind of infection to the gums, I mean, I strain it well with the AluBall and don't use a lot of it. No dried roots or anything ever appear in the grog. Thoughts or experiences? Thanks

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Did you get stitches in the removal sites? when I had wisdom teeth removed the worst of it was three days however the entirety of it was about a week I think. Soft foods, gentle brushing in the back, water, not sure if hot tea or smoke were off the question but I was not yet into kava (I wish I were). I imagine the two main roles kava can play with dental health is firstly the starches in the root act as food for bacteria and next the numbing effect might irritate sore or open wounds. My other thought is it could be the gums healing up and that is causing the sensation, just the gums alone. Thoughts on this?

BourbonMac

I like herbs
No stitches, they weren't impacted.
Healing has gone pretty well, it's been 7 days since the operation. Maybe there's some extra pain as the wounds heal up more. My top left one seems that it was more difficult to get out, it's kind of scraped up around there and there's a big gap that is slowly healing, the right side is healing very well though. It seems the left will probably take longer to heal.

The burning didn't actually start until I did a salt water rinse after dinner tonight. I've been doing them after pretty much every meal and when I wake up. It said to do them for 7 days after removal and today was 7 days. I suppose I'm safe now? I'm just paranoid at this point I s'pose.

Perhaps maybe I've been overdoing it, there were a few times where I'd done one just because I had a bit of juice, just paranoia I guess. They are open wounds in a sense and I can see why it might hurt, but it didn't hurt until tonight. Some of the pain could also be psychosomatic in a way.

I still have yet to figure out why the hell this helps my tinnitus so much. I used it for 2 days and today my ears were generally quieter than any other days in about 2 weeks since I stopped drinking it. Especially after a shower, I'm having my first period of true silence in weeks. I know it'll expire like a free trial but still, kava does something. It also tends to irritate my skin the next day, though for some reason it didn't today like it did yesterday. I hadn't taken it in 10 days and figured that would go away but I guess not. It's practically worth it though, I just have to fix my sleep schedule. I'll come home from work after shit sleep and then try to nap but be too itchy.

BourbonMac

I like herbs
My right gum got really swollen, damn. It could just be growing back strong but it's like a huge fat lump practically, the other side is atrophied from the removal. Possibly infection, that'd suck. Then again it probably wasn't a great idea anyway and one should likely wait a bit longer to drink kava after tooth removal. I didn't get antibiotics after they were removed which is pretty common..