What's new

So I read on here that lots of ppl still get higher liver enzymes after using kava?

Geiourht

Kava Curious
Well, one problem with an online forum is that dead flies can't post to say that they're dead flies. :dead:
That is a pretty naive thing to say. If that were true you would never know about any fatalities from drugs or whatever else for that matter. The people who report them are the toxicologists and the like who do post mortems; or more likely the media catches wind of it and blurts it all over the place.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Geiourht speaking in terms strictly of online forums he's (@sumguy) definitely got a point. Although it's different in the offline world, we rely pretty heavily on anecdotal evidence. There are many studies we can quote, but (to me) personal evidence speaks loudly as well. When it boils down to the nub, it's all up to the way you interpret the scientific studies, and personal reports.

D

Deleted User01

Well, one problem with an online forum is that dead flies can't post to say that they're dead flies. :dead:
"Dead flies" can surely post that their liver enzymes went through the wall and the doc is saying that there is severe liver damage. But "dead flies" need to fess up if they are abusing alcohol or other drugs.

Disclaimer: Of course you know that dead flies is an metaphor for kava users who speculate that their liver may have been damaged by abuse of kava. And it is also a metaphor for kava users in good standing that I can trust to tell the truth if something bad were to happen to them. I would not trust fly by night posters with an axe to grind or who have some kind of secret agenda (like sleeping aide vendors and Kracktom Users) . Unless of course I could see legitimate lab results and have a way to verify the claim. This has always been a problem with wild claims against kava.

Geiourht

Kava Curious
"Dead flies" can surely post that their liver enzymes went through the wall and the doc is saying that there is severe liver damage. But "dead flies" need to fess up if they are abusing alcohol or other drugs.

Disclaimer: Of course you know that dead flies is an metaphor for kava users who speculate that their liver may have been damaged by abuse of kava. And it is also a metaphor for kava users in good standing that I can trust to tell the truth if something bad were to happen to them. I would not trust fly by night posters with an axe to grind or who have some kind of secret agenda (like sleeping aide vendors and Kracktom Users) . Unless of course I could see legitimate lab results and have a way to verify the claim. This has always been a problem with wild claims against kava.
Hey whats your problem with Krat users? :) and also why is it bleeped out on this forum?

It has been my goto DOC for 6 months now until recently where its almost completely stopped working due to tolerance (I wasnt even a heavy user like others just one day on two days off). That is why kava sounds really cool, the 'reverse tolerance' thing tho that soudns like marketing hogwash to me tbh, but little to no tolerance is just fine with me :) it doesnt have to be 'reverse'.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Hey whats your problem with Krat users? :) and also why is it bleeped out on this forum?

It has been my goto DOC for 6 months now until recently where its almost completely stopped working due to tolerance (I wasnt even a heavy user like others just one day on two days off). That is why kava sounds really cool, the 'reverse tolerance' thing tho that soudns like marketing hogwash to me tbh, but little to no tolerance is just fine with me :) it doesnt have to be 'reverse'.
In general we don't have a problem with kasterisks users. For some people it is helpful for managing pain or withdrawing from opiates. But we do have a problem with kava bars which also sell it, because it is not the way kava is traditionally consumed. K is addictive, and we don't want the media to conflate it with kava, which is not. Suppose someone has a bad reaction to a K/kava concoction at one of these bars: The media would report: "Person Has Bad Reaction to Kava (and maybe something else)". We want kava to stay legal. The asterisks are just to hide the term from search engines, so kava does not get associated with "legal highs"; It's still fine to talk about it.

D

Deleted User01

The word K@ is banned so that it doesn't accidently attract people who are googling for that. Kava is typically not what they are looking for anyway. The Kracktom remark was a joke meant to illicit a response. :whistle: Tell him what he won Don Pardo! And Thank you for playing, "K@, K@, who's got the K@". :LOL:

P.S. I also tried it back in the day but it wasn't what I was looking for. :wtf:

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
That is why kava sounds really cool, the 'reverse tolerance' thing tho that soudns like marketing hogwash to me tbh, but little to no tolerance is just fine with me :) it doesnt have to be 'reverse'.
The medical websites that I first did my kava research on seemed to have a different definition for reverse tolerance than this forum does. Most drugs require you to take more for the same effect as your tolerance builds. But kava is claimed to be the opposite - as you use it you can get the same effect and not have to take as much. That was one of my initial attractions to it, because I often have trouble sleeping and most OTC things I've tried only work a couple days in a row due to tolerance.

But apparently on this forum, from what I understand they're saying you have to take it a while before it even has any effect (kind of like St. John's Wort often is, if I'm understanding correctly). But this seems to be the case more for recreational than medicinal use.

Do I understand all this correctly? :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The medical websites that I first did my kava research on seemed to have a different definition for reverse tolerance than this forum does. Most drugs require you to take more for the same effect as your tolerance builds. But kava is claimed to be the opposite - as you use it you can get the same effect and not have to take as much. That was one of my initial attractions to it, because I often have trouble sleeping and most OTC things I've tried only work a couple days in a row due to tolerance.

But apparently on this forum, from what I understand they're saying you have to take it a while before it even has any effect (kind of like St. John's Wort often is, if I'm understanding correctly). But this seems to be the case more for recreational than medicinal use.

Do I understand all this correctly? :)
That's correct. It may take some time to get to the "meat and potatoes" of kava, but once you reach that point you can actually start cutting back on the amount and still get the same effects. It's one of the things that really attracted me to it as well.

D

Deleted User01

@Geiourht my dear fellow Kava Newbie forum member. Everyday it seems you are submitting reasons for not drinking kava. To us, they are unreasonable reasons. The rest of us here don't understand it because we have been drinking kava for a long time and neither us or our friends are experiencing any health problems. You seem to be fixated on the possibility that kava will hurt you so do this I say: "Don't do Kava". If you have already had good experiences with Kracktom or some other botancial, then please stick to that as your botanical of choice. There are many people here who have real problems and Kava is helping them cope. There are even people here who are trying to shake the Kracktom addiction. So please don't scream "fire" in this peaceful village where people are trying to heal. I wish you and your friends all the best in the future.

Geiourht

Kava Curious
Lol at the replies as I just realised how i must be coming across.

>>>>>Im actually selling this brand new all natural remedy 10 times more potent than kava!!!!!! :)<<<<<<<<

/sarcasm :)

But really it's ironic that I am a hypochondriac and am looking for things to hlep quell these wild eventualities that I run over in my mind but my very mindset also makes me find fault/dangers in everything.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
No but its really ironic that I am a hypochondriac and am looking for things to hlep quell these wild eventualities that I run over in my mind but my very mindset also makes me find fault/dangers in everything.
Well man, I think that kinda explains what you're going through here, but you have to understand that we've been dealing with these things for years so it can wear on us a little. You gotta look at the quality of the source -- we're biased towards kava, but we also have years upon years of experience with it and are in contact with the leading kava scientists. Most of what you'll pull up on the internet on kava reflects extremely limited experience with it in the West, combined with sometimes out and out made up stuff (Parkinson's for instance -- I am not aware of any case linked causally or otherwise to kava consumption). Kava is about as benign as it gets.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Lol at the replies as I just realised how i must be coming across.

>>>>>Im actually selling this brand new all natural remedy 10 times more potent than kava!!!!!! :)<<<<<<<<

/sarcasm :)

But really it's ironic that I am a hypochondriac and am looking for things to hlep quell these wild eventualities that I run over in my mind but my very mindset also makes me find fault/dangers in everything.
I understand your concerns. There is all kinds of nonsense out on the internet about kava, but there is also legitimate research. It can be hard to distinguish the two. When in doubt, posting something here for a reality check is a great idea, because there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. But I would just like to reassure you that kava, noble and traditionally prepared, is safe; contemporary experts like Dr. Lebot and Dr. Schmidt agree on this.

No such thing as a dumb question here.