What's new

Solomon Island kavalactone profile?

Steve973

Kava Curious
Does anyone know the (at least approximate) kavalactone profile for Solomon Island kava?  I am wondering what makes this one so unique compared to other varieties.

kl.ComfortablyNumb

Kava Curious
I would love to see an analysis of specific kavalactone levels for each strain. It could be helpful to compare the subjective effects of strains with their respective kavalactone composition. 
I definitely notices qualitative differences in effects when I use different strains of kava.

If I had to guess the chemotype, I’d guess Solomon’s would be more like a (462)351 or (465)321.

First three kavalactones in chemotype code for the chemotype represent 70+% of total kavalactone content

Chemotype Legend:
1) demethoxy-yangonin (DMY)
2) dihydrokavain (DHK)
3) yangonin (Y)
4) kavain (K)
5) dihydromethysticin (DHM)
6) methysticin (M)  

Kavalactone specific attributes, the DHK & DHM, in unusual, less-popular strains seem to be the chemicals that make for “two-day” (tudei) effects – and for bad nausea. Kavain (hi-% desirable) is most quickly absorbed & its relaxant/anti-depressant effect goes most quickly to mind/body; numbing. Others: Methysticin is noted as “Slow; Sleepiness, muscle relaxant.” DMY & Y seem to be somewhat of a mystery. Also, sum is greater than the parts of the whole.
Solomon’s Island variety is a Creeper variety; quite (most) possibly whicamanii variant, because it was in the growing range of that wild variety, with chemotype possibly closer to NAH’s Chief’s Jungle chemotype is 426135. Good educated hypothesis to keep in mind. Chief’s Jungle prob. has more DHK/DHM (“2” or “5” in chemotype) because there is that tudei/ nausea effect.

Solomon’s has something that either minimizes that or has a different predominant kavalactone combo.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I've been re-reading "Kava, the Pacific Elixir." The book is about 15-years old, and relies on historical research to describe the habits of the different South Pacific islands, but here's what I've gathered.

Kava was grown in the Solomons, and then it stopped being grown there. It might be grown there now. There is at least one kava bar in the area - although it set up its facebook page as a person instead of a company (https://www.facebook.com/kavaccino.solomons). The bar has a new twist on kava, btw... it serves carbonated kava. The bubbles.... the bubbles...!

Anyway, the Solomons are part of the wild range of kava. Back when Pacific Elixir was being wrote, there was no such thing as wild kava, but through the tireless work of Vince Lebot, the species formerly known as P. wichmanii is now the wild variant of P. Methysticum. I consider this a personal victory, because it sets a precedent for the dissolving of the artificial barrier between autism and "Asperger's Syndrome," which is a victory for autistic individuals such as myself, who are sometimes excluded from policy conversations about autistics on the grounds of not being real autistics.

Coming back on track again, I'm sure we all figured it was a wild variant... close to Jungle Chief's (a.k.a. Waeld Koniak or Madang Short). From what John Frum (the bartender) has told me, its a creeper variety.

As much as I hated the stuff, I want more. 364 days a year, I'm fine with noble kavas, but a day or two a year, I want Tudei! I'm not sure if anyone has asked "what the fuck was that shit and where can I get some?" to Nakamal@Home. They might consider it a trade secret, or they might put in contact with a wholesaler who will charge us 4 to 5 times what we would be paying retail for Stone.

Either way, I loved how horny the stuff made me feel.