What's new

Powdered Kava Review Solomon Island

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I finally got around to trying the fabled Solomon Island kava. It's always piqued my interest because it commonly is reviewed as being distinctly different than every other kava, potently 'heady'...almost drug-like.

I'm not sure if this is a case of high expectations or the fact that heady kavas typically don't react the same way with me, as they do others. But, for me, Solomon's seemed to be a bit of a let down. While, at any dose, it still offered a typically mild calmness and anxiotytic relaxation you'd expect from kava. It didn't seem to have any real stand-out properties from the spectrum of effects. Except perhaps in the way of 'Headiness'. However, this is not the clear euphoric headiness of a light tongan/hawaiian kava, It's more so stupifying. It can put your mind/self in a stupor without giving you much of anything else. Maybe this is where it's 'drug-like' description comes from ?
Although it didn't have much effect on my muscles or body at all, I was surprised at how sedated I perceived myself through the 'mental stupor'.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I didn't find it uplifting much, if at all, and also wouldn't consider it a good daytime kava. (unless you only had one shell or something) To compare it to anything, In my experience, I'd say it's like a weaker version of Melo Melo. I eventually tried using 10 Tbsp and making 2nd & 3rd wash single shells after my main batch...after consuming all of that...it finally brought me to the deep side of a kava experience. Where you can completely enjoy just sitting in the dark, listening to song after song, peacefully drifting around in your mind. This was very enjoyable but I did miss the feeling being coupled with a body buzz, like there'd be with Waka, Stone or a strong batch of Boroguru.

A couple perks though; it didn't leave me as tired the next day as my Waka would and was also about 25% easier on my stomach than my Waka too. As with almost all kava I try, it was still great for sleep and general anxiety relief.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

I use it as a daytime Kava and I take little chugs about every 30 minutes. When I reviewed Solomons, I compared it to Melo Melo on steroids. But Kava effects everyone differently and everyone has their preference of effects they seek. I had some yesterday afternoon and finished the day with chug of my Koniak/Boroguru blend. On those days, I feel energized yet relaxed at night. Nice review by the way. Let us know which ones you prefer and why.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Let us know which ones you prefer and why.
So far...I've come to the conclusion that the all around best kava, for me, is Fiji Waka. It's the closest thing to being a reasonably strong full spectrum kava. It's much like stone & boroguru, which I also like...but I think it may have a bit more kavain. I've realized I require a noticeable body buzz to be fully satisfied with a kava, perhaps because my anxiety is often manifested as unnecessary muscle tension. I've never had any Fiji from the online vendors, so I can't say for sure if the kind I get is equal to the others, but I do know that the word Waka is always a plus for me. Those lateral roots really do me right.

When it comes to light/uplifting/heady kavas, the only ones that fit the bill, for me, are the ones I describe as being creamy, buttery and almost good tasting. I consider them all mild and find they have almost no effect on my body or coordination. They're good if I still intend on being out and about. Kavaboy's Tongan, Rex's older batches of Tongan Pride, HKC Mo'i, Kalm & Ozia are ones I've tried in this catagory . I think these might all be considered 'WHITE' kava (except kalm and ozia, of course), ones usually made of the kavain heavy root stump, I believe. They are also the easiest on my stomach.
Anything else...like Solomon, Melo Melo or Mahakea are still too sedating and slightly stomach upsetting for me to really want to use while I'm still actively doing things.

Ideally I could have a kava with the flavor and ease on my GI as the white kava but with the full effects of waka/boroguru types. I've tried mixing the two, to try to get the best of both worlds. But I've found when ever I mix two opposite kavas in one batch, I just end up with a lessened experience on both ends of the spectrum. When I try this again in the future, I'll make a full batch of each kava...and then drink them seperately, as needed.

D

Deleted User01

Talking about White Kavas, I had a .5 pound of WOW a while back and it was very light in color and the taste was not bad at all. I liked it but it didn't really hit me as hard as some people have talked about and it is a little pricey.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
My own review. I think I have reviewed this under a pseudonym on the Kavassuer site. I decided this wasn't the kava for me, but I recently ordered a kilogram of it to help a dear friend kick her addition to painkillers (ibuprofen, which is destroying her kidneys).

This morning, I started with two shells of White Sands makas, a shell of Fire Island, and then finished with three fresh shells of Solomon Island. Physically, the laxative effect was quite noticeable. I didn't notice the same sexual arousal and appreciation of food that I did years ago, but I have changed my preparation methods to a more dilute beverage than I originally drank.

Over the course of the work day, I noticed I wasn't easily rattled by abusive/aggressive customers. However, on the drive home, I did have a profound tearing-up listening to Startalk Radio's 10th anniversary 9/11 special. It wasn't the loss of human life, but rather the dogs. The dogs had to be dragged into a human religious war - concepts they knew nothing about - with bare paws. They had to walk over blasted, twisted metal with bare paws. That struck me in a way that I thought 13 and a half years would have blunted, but hadn't.

The main reason I have switched to pre-work kava is two-fold. First is that the anti-anxiety effects of kava continue (or so they say) long after any euphoria has passed, and second is from my initial experience with Solomon Island... it produced extreme insomnia the first time I tried it.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Seven shells? I lost track tonight.
I also lost track of time. The food-appreciation is back, but making rashers of bacon was a bad idea. I burned it because this kava is reducing my sense of the flow of time. Time is moving much faster outside of my headspace than it is on the inside. I wonder if I drink enough of this kava, if I could live another nine decades in what would only seem like one or two from an internal perspective.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I wonder if I drink enough of this kava, if I could live another nine decades in what would only seem like one or two from an internal perspective.
You can and you will, Prince! ;)
I've noticed the deep end of Solomon 's playing with my perception of time a bit too...but I think mine goes the other way, the clock will say 2 minutes have passed, yet I feel like it's been more than that. I also agree with the laxative effect. If I make a strong batch with a weak filtering job, it can send me to the bathroom 3 times. But, I've noticed this with some other kavas too.

D

Deleted User01

As I posted earlier, the thought of starting my afternoon Kava has a laxative effect on me. Once that is done, I can drink in peace. I really like the energy that Solomons gives me. After an afternoon session and later at nite, I can get motivated to read and study books on Bidding in Bridge. Yeah the Card game Bridge, not the best game for someone with a bad memory but a super challenge never the less. I usually finish the night listening to an audio book to help put my brain to bed.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
Solomon's is my go to for the times i sense my anxiety level upping and other kava blends just arent doing the trick. Last Thursday, i got into a 1.1lb Solomon's from NAH after it being quite some time with this one. Immediately after a couple shells i felt my mood lift and anxiety level dissipate. This carried over into the next day at work also. This is probably my favorite kava so far based just on the next day lift. But yes, it can be energizing to the point of sleeplessness so i try not to drink this too late at least on weeknights.

D

Deleted User01

I love Solomons in the middle of a work day when everything sucks and I'm ready to give up. A chug here and there and my attitude changes and I can continue working sometimes longer than I intended. I'm hoping the Hawaiian Kava has this same effect. Since I drink it at around 2:30-3:30, I don't have sleep problems. After supper I have some energy but it wanes until I hit the sack and sleep good.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
That's exactly my plan for this work day today. One of those days where i'm stuck waiting in one place for something to break (which nothing is) and not able to be productive and get other things fixed. Going to take my lunch soon and make a light Solomon's drink with some OJ to kick it in and breeze through the afternoon :cool:

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Solomon's is my go to for the times i sense my anxiety level upping and other kava blends just arent doing the trick. Last Thursday, i got into a 1.1lb Solomon's from NAH after it being quite some time with this one. Immediately after a couple shells i felt my mood lift and anxiety level dissipate. This carried over into the next day at work also. This is probably my favorite kava so far based just on the next day lift. But yes, it can be energizing to the point of sleeplessness so i try not to drink this too late at least on weeknights.
I guess that's one of the main differences with how Solomon's affects me, compared to most other people. I see it come up often in reference to solomon's, that it's energizing and can actually hinder sleep if taken too late in the day. I always drank it at night and found that after my 1st shell or two...it quickly became almost as hypnotic as boroguru or other heavy sedating strains. Not quite as forceful, but similar. Sleep comes easy and it keeps me in that state even if I wake up in the night.
Similarly, drinking coffee makes tired and start yawning...and alcohol perks me up the way I imagine coffee should. (except with added inebriation)
I don't know what's up with these reactions. o_O

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Hi,
I'm trying to beef up the number of reviews for N@H. If you don't mind could you reply to this with a shell rating for your review, so I can convert it to the new format? 1 shell is lowest and 5 shells is highest.

Thanks
(p.s. you should check out my new avatar I got today. It's pretty awesome, don't you think? :) )

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
hmm do we have half shells?.. i think i'd give it 3 high-tide shells and 1 low-tide shell.
But, I guess 3 seems about right for my experience...if I get it again, I'll reevaluate.

Nice av, I like to drink shells for all my unbirthdays. :wacky: 426's...245's...463's...

D

Deleted User01

Solomons is a 4 for me because it was my good to Kavain Kava before the hawaiian Kava hit the market. Like superman, Shakas is immune to Kavain Kavas.:D

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@shakas,
We're working on getting the permissions correct for editing reviews. If you don't mind could you try to edit this review and see if you have any problems? Go to the upper right hand corner of the screen and click on "Thread Options" then click on "Edit Thread". You can also edit the review comments by clicking on the "Edit" button just below the review comments. Thanks!!