What's new

Solomon islands kava: what is it?

krunkgod

Kava Enthusiast
Anyone have a concrete answer on why this kava is always so unique? It provides one of the best mood lifts and generalized sense of well being out of many of the kava's I've tried. It seems to consistently be extremely potent as well.

I've heard that solomon is just borogu cuttings that are grown in solomon islands, but there seems to be more at play.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I was under the impression that all Solomon islands kava is (or was originally) just kava taken from Vanuatu and planted to take advantage of the similar growing climate and the growing international market, over the last 25 years or so. There was no or very little kava in the Solomons in the 1980s and early 90's.
I travelled by boat from Gaudalcanal up to Choisel in the 90's and asked about kava all the way up - people knew of it from Vanuatu but nobody I spoke to had seen it at that time.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I've always wondered this myself. It seems NAH has a monopoly on the supply though as I don't know anyone who has come across something comparable from another vendor (if anyone knows differently, please share). I guess the only answer I have to your question is "it is very good".

krunkgod

Kava Enthusiast
I've always wondered this myself. It seems NAH has a monopoly on the supply though as I don't know anyone who has come across something comparable from another vendor (if anyone knows differently, please share). I guess the only answer I have to your question is "it is very good".
root of happiness has one that at times is a lot better. The first time I tried it was near religious experience. I was in total bliss and comfort. Unfortunately I think that was just a lucky batch. I really think something else is going on with it though. What it is I couldn't tell you. It feels very cerebral though.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Kava Depot also sell it but they are low on stock at the moment. Also for anyone reading this in the UK or Europe I have it available for sale as a pet supplement.

KAVATOM

Kava Curious
I haven't tried any other vendors of Solomon kava but it is hard to imagine that NAH's Solomon is traditional borogu since the effect is so different (at least for me). I find it mixes well with just about any other kava as well.