What's new

Kava Preparation Some questions about medium grind

BourbonMac

I like herbs
So between sips, you want to shake it because it'll settle, right? I just want to be sure, this is what I've been doing. I actually felt quite sick last night but I think it had more to do with an extract I've been taking which is inconsistent, sketchy and also a bad batch apparently, it's nothing like the last one. Perhaps it's because I know what the real stuff that's missing from the extract. Traditional kava has actually been working very consistently despite my thread the other day. I was mostly taking extract then, but I swear by the grog now.

Anyway, I use an AluBall at the moment, I need to buy a 2nd one. I always make sure to use warm but not hot water and shake it for a few minutes, less time for the 2nd wash. I realize the AluBall probably makes it a bit less potent but it's worked great for me so far. I just wish you'd get 2 balls because the thing is pretty pricey. At least you can buy an independent 2nd ball but that's like $15.

So sometimes I'll see little white things moving around and I assume that could be a bit of root that escaped, it's usually not there. Little sand sized granules that are easy to not see. And the grog is generally pretty cloudy looking, like it's brown but it starts to look like dark clouds are in there at times unless I mix it up more. I just want to be sure this is normal.

felt very nauseous last night but I think it's more to do with the fact that I took 5.5g of 30% kavalactone extract. I've done this before, but not taking actual kava after, and I have a cold so I took a bit of cough medicine which had doxylamine succinate which is a heavy tranqulizing sleep aid. All in all an awful experience, I've felt tired all day, but I'm sipping on some Vanatu at the moment, feeling alright. Got tomorrow off so I will be getting plenty of sleep. I didn't mean to take that much of it at all and given it hasn't really been doing anything lately I figured whatever, I'll just prep 20g of Vanatu. The whole combo was just bad, so PSA: do NOT mix cough meds with kava. That's probably common sense around here though, don't mix kava with anything really, except maybe a bit of cannabis.

I wouldn't think even a tiny bit of root getting into it would cause nausea. I have a stomach of steel, I once could down 30+ shots of liquor. I wasn't exactly an alcoholic but it runs in my family and so I inherited a heavy tolerance. Most of my friends are "functional alcoholics" in the sense that they'll get falling down drunk on the weekends. Next month I'm 3 years sober from that poison, kava is so much better in every way.

Also, good suggestion for heady kava? I've read Vanatu is a heady one but it's mostly sedating for me, it's from FijiVanuaKava. I was taking KWK Borogu before and it was quite a bit weaker. Also, this Vanatu is WAY denser for some reason, so it's easy to pack 20g in the AluBall, I could probably fit even more but I've read 20g is the standard maximum it'll handle. I'm not sure why the density would be so much different. I mean it smells and tastes just like the other stuff, I'm guessing that's normal, for it to taste and smell the same regardless of strain.n