What's new

South Korea Kava Law

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi all,

I'm planning to move to South Korea at the start of next year, and I'm trying to find out the legality status of Kava over there.

I've searched online and can't find anything at all. except this small article from 2003: https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=1900209

If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Good Luck on the move, bring the allowed 50 lbs of kava with you in a suitcase, just n case. ::happyshell::::tanoafull::

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
I'm guessing no one is too sure about the law, so I have another question:

Does anyone know what the best way is to find out what the law is?

Thanks

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I doubt they have a law, and how it is received by customs (if you are checked) will largely depend on the mood and intelligence of the person you are dealing with. I regularly move between Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and the Pacific carrying up to 50lbs of powder. There are no kava laws in SE Asia and most of the time I have been fine, but did have trouble in Vietnam last year which almost resulted in me losing my stash.
As a precaution you should make sure the kava is properly packaged with the supplier company name and contact details on the packages, and don't take any partly opened packages with you - all sealed. Good luck!

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks mate, appreciate the reply! You're probably right, I doubt there is a law there. I just don't want to risk getting in any trouble over there!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
A letter to customs officer what it is but the recommendation to use beautiful original packaging with ingredients of manufacturer should be sufficient.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I emailed the Embassy of Fiji in South Korea yesterday and just received a response:
... there is no restriction placed on the purchase of kava here in South Korea so long as the product meets international standards of packaging.
So @nabanga's advice in his earlier post is spot-on:
make sure the kava is properly packaged with the supplier company name and contact details on the packages, and don't take any partly opened packages with you - all sealed.