What's new

Southern NY/CT/NJ area

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Things are looking up around here, I am down to throw some shells back with anybody in the tri-state area.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Northern NY, it would take 6 hours to travel to NYC. Mountains, lakes, rivers, forests.
I am going to be up in Mariaville lake, NW of Albany in mid August, not exactly sure on the dates yet, I'll let you know, if you wanna meet around that area.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Okay, that would be really cool. My birthday is mid August, I plan on a couple fishing trips and mountain hikes, as well as being at work. Stay in touch!

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
Hey man I am stuck in Thailand for the time being due to COVID-19 but i am always down to meetup I am in lack of Kava-friends. I'll hit you up up when I am returnith.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
@Krunʞy Is now the future? Tryna wrap my head around "Southern NY, North of NYC". I'm like 1.5 hrs from say, the Duchess County Mall (If that still exists) and say 2 hrs from Middle Town where we visit family. Oh, and Warwick. That's a better point of reference, that's family stop #1, w/ Middle Town 2nd. How far are you from there? ish? Any chance you're familiar w/ Brown Barn Farms or Orange County Distillery?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@Krunʞy Is now the future? Tryna wrap my head around "Southern NY, North of NYC". I'm like 1.5 hrs from say, the Duchess County Mall (If that still exists) and say 2 hrs from Middle Town where we visit family. Oh, and Warwick. That's a better point of reference, that's family stop #1, w/ Middle Town 2nd. How far are you from there? ish? Any chance you're familiar w/ Brown Barn Farms or Orange County Distillery?
I live in Central/northern Westchester County. About 30 miles SE of Middletown. I think you and @kavakarma are much closer for a meet up although I am only about an hour from Warwick. We can all get together, I m down.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
I live in Central/northern Westchester County. About 30 miles SE of Middletown. I think you and @kavakarma are much closer for a meet up although I am only about an hour from Warwick. We can all get together, I m down.
If you're in Westchester Cty, you're actually even closer to me. I'm in Fairfield Cty. Like, 15 minutes north of Ffld, CT up 95. If @kavakarma is 6hrs from NYC, given his description, he's WAY up north, snowman style. The more the merrier, but I've seen one other CT/Ffld Cty post here, and she hasn't been "seen" here since 2020. So, I don't want it to be awkward or anything. I'm definitely not the nut I may come across as being, given some of my posts. Think we'd look weird with a ceremonial bowl on the table, tossing back shells in the food court of Westchester or Stamford mall? Throw in some Sbarro too, because mall.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Yup! Snowman style. No such thing as malls here. Definitely shells, though. NY Bills and Giants have won football games this year so far and we are in the second week of the season, what a great start!

I'm drinking Hawaiian Pana'ewa today, called 'short internode green'!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Think we'd look weird with a ceremonial bowl on the table, tossing back shells in the food court of Westchester or Stamford mall? Throw in some Sbarro too, because mall.
I think that's a solid plan, I can also think of several parks near The Westchester Mall area where we can have shells outdoors and have food nearby, depending on the weather and the mood of the group. I am kind of swamped this month, maybe sometime near mid October.

@Go Krunk Yourself, are you back in NY yet?
@MikeNMissy, you guys want to come?

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Yup! Snowman style. No such thing as malls here. Definitely shells, though. NY Bills and Giants have won football games this year so far and we are in the second week of the season, what a great start!

Ha! Your "yup, snowman style" made me legit lol. I'm only guessing there are still malls here, I haven't actually been in one in ages. The wife's a Pats fan, so I guess I'm that. I don't really sport much. The Giants game we went to (free tics) a year or two ago was a good time tho. Did you get the SIG from Chris?

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Chris gave me the SIG roots, yes. They are very interesting. Fresh taste, subtle, almost like the taste is not there. All nice body relaxing, with none of the face, throat, or head effects that my uaual kavas give me. I think if we get together to drink kava, having a nice wooden tanoa would be a great addition to the ceremony.

Last winter I was sitting in our annual "castle made of ice" and brewing shells of kava for myself in there. A woman excitedly had me tell her instagram followers in a video recording that I'm from here and brewing kava at the ice castle. Wish I could find myself online, would love to read the comments that gathered. The ice castle itself would be a cool spot for a kava meeting.

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken

I am Bills Mafia and happy to see the bills (the one "NY" team) brought up here.
I am in the Northwest Bronx but very unlikely to be able to attend a meetup, as professional and personal obligations have booked me up for the foreseeable future.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
I think that's a solid plan, I can also think of several parks near The Westchester Mall area where we can have shells outdoors and have food nearby, depending on the weather and the mood of the group. I am kind of swamped this month, maybe sometime near mid October.
That's totally cool, I am as well (only 3 months into a new job and tryna learn AWS amongst other things, and weekends aren't excluded rn). I'm all for the outdoors, just thought of the mall as being a neutral zone in case one of us needs to run into Spencer Gifts for a leg lamp, but also the only thing I can reference in the area.

Rand McNally

Kava Curious
Chris gave me the SIG roots, yes. They are very interesting. Fresh taste, subtle, almost like the taste is not there. All nice body relaxing, with none of the face, throat, or head effects that my uaual kavas give me. I think if we get together to drink kava, having a nice wooden tanoa would be a great addition to the ceremony.

Last winter I was sitting in our annual "castle made of ice" and brewing shells of kava for myself in there. A woman excitedly had me tell her instagram followers in a video recording that I'm from here and brewing kava at the ice castle. Wish I could find myself online, would love to read the comments that gathered. The ice castle itself would be a cool spot for a kava meeting.
I'm all for the tanoa, great idea! I believe you're the one who got me going on wanting one from one of your posts, iirc. Maybe search the hash tags on IG? Possibly #icecastle and #kava to see if you can find something, but it may be an arduous task. I asked about the SIG because I replied in that thread as well, but haven't heard back yet, and I thought I saw that you did too. Hopefuly he checks his DM's sometime soon :)