What's new

Powdered Kava Review Special Variety Kava - House Blend

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken
cpReview
{"Grade":8,"Potency":6,"Mind":8,"Body":4,"Anxiety":8,"Sedative":4,"Taste":"3","Preparation":"Combination of experiences with:\n1. Alu Ball, 2-3 tbsp\n2. Traditional strain, just eyeballing with about 4 tbsp\n3. Blend and strain 3 tbsp in a small magic bullet","Duration":"","SideEffects":"","Headline":""}
A Mild Delight

The new offering around Black Friday piqued my interest. I have tried a few KWK grinds and wanted to see if this, in what seems to be an inaugural batch, might become a periodic go-to. It having arrived a couple days ago, I've had the chance to prep it a variety of ways, including (i) traditional; (ii) AluBall; and (iii) blend-and-strain.

The grind is fine/medium. Slightly more fine and dusty than what I remember of some other KWK's, which makes it nice in an AluBall, and makes me think that it includes some of the dusty scraps from their other grinds. I have no real idea what is in here, but there is some non-offensive earthy-meets-medicinal funky aroma which, in my mind, at least, says there is some Fijian root in there.

It brews up just a bit starchy and goes down easy with maybe some piney notes. If using cold water or allowing it to sufficiently cool, I actually found it refreshing with a subtle creaminess.

Effects are delicate and lean heady. There is some mental relaxation that starts creeping in at 10-15 minutes and builds if you continue to shell. When having a couple shells in relatively rapid succession I experienced some minor light-headedness of the enjoyable variety (not of the OMG where's the couch variety).

If one strengthens the brew by say, double-balling or, as I sometimes do, making a second wash and running a new ball through that, some mild heavy effects creep in.

This seems great for daytime or, having not eaten recently, to unwind and chill without getting knocked out in the evening. The headiness has no sharp corners, is by no means racy or jittery, and has not gotten in the way of sleep. In any event, after a few shells, some mild heaviness comes knocking.

Though I have not tried doing this yet, you might enjoy this combined with your favorite strong-potency grind. But I say that hesitantly because this is not, to me, merely a "filler" for something better. It is enjoyable and unique on its own.

Up to this point, I have not very much enjoyed many mild-to-medium potency root varieties. I particularly do not like some weak lawenas or others where the side effects overstay their welcome before the desirable effects check in. This is not like those such varieties. I also definitely prefer it over the Melo Melos that I've tried, which tend to be "mellow" in their effect.

Although this is a "Special Variety," hopefully it will stick around for a bit (after all it is called "House Blend"). I certainly intend to get a refill in the future.

Last edited:

00radio

Just got some of this myself, and agree with your review! Slightly milder, but definitely a bit of a body effect after a few and a very pleasant feeling overall. Really like the lack of the jitteriness that I sometimes get. I'll be getting it again as well.