What's new

Spotted Hiwa (Opihikao)

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
I just bought some of Tyler's Frozen from Root of happiness. And I'm wondering what everybody's experience with this has been. I'm worried that I just wasted money because I don't do well with heady kavas at all

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
I liked their hanakapi which is one of the heavier Hawaiin strains. Opihikao is somewhat similar to Hiwa. the GHK Opihikao is balanced to heavy (not as heavy as the GHK Hanakapi). I have not tried ROH Opihikao . Anyhow, this should not be like Moi and I think you will do ok.

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
I see that they also have the fresh frozen hina tonga, isa (??tudei), la'au and rahmedel. has anyone tried them?

I found this review of the ROH fresh frozens form Feb 2020:

You can get these products in five different cultivars:

1. Hanakapi’ai — Balanced kava best suited for social drinking
  2. Hiwa — Heady kava best suited for anxiety
  3. Mahakea — Balanced kava best suited for relaxation and social drinking
  4. Mo’oula — Balanced kava with subtle effect profile
  5. Nene — Heady kava with an average potency of effects

I have only tried hanakapi'ai. The ROH Hanakapi'ai was very balanced, and more heady and less relaxing than the GHK Hanakapi'ai (which I think is a "waka"). Maybe the spotted hiwa is heavier than the hiwa (judging by the my GHK experience...will hit the GHK spotted hiwa today to see). I am looking at making an order before it gets too hot. I usually request them to send another ice pack. Maybe if I order several , they will keep each other cooler. I main complaint is I wish they seperated them out into thirds. Need a something like a saw co cut them.

Last edited:

PsyGuru

Kava Enthusiast
I just bought some of Tyler's Frozen from Root of happiness. And I'm wondering what everybody's experience with this has been. I'm worried that I just wasted money because I don't do well with heady kavas at all
How was the fresh frozen?

Kavacoordinate

Kava Enthusiast
Lovely. The Rahmedel from Micronesia is about a perfect kava. The spotted Hiwa was actually okay this time and not so racy is the last time that I bought it. But if you haven't tried fresh you have to. It's a completely different experience it doesn't feel as a acerbic. I've been getting really lucky with good, sources recently