What's new

Stem Cutting Survival in Transport

Botana Luke

Hello all

So I want to add to my kava collection.

I am currently have some Hawaiian cuttings shipped to me from a friend there.

Could anyone tell me how best to have them stored for a long shipping maybe around 10 days.

Would they root on the way?

I know kava has travelled 1000s of miles on boats to distant shores. I am pretty sure it is robust enough however those guys must have had some special dedication and care for their plant.

Thanks all for any reply.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
Hello all

Could anyone tell me how best to have them stored for a long shipping maybe around 10 days.

I know kava has travelled 1000s of miles on boats to distant shores. I am pretty sure it is robust enough however those guys must have had some special dedication and care for their plant.

I assume that they are cleared by the USDA?

You could consider an overnight service like Ups or FedEx

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hello all

As they are coming from Hawai'i, legally, they should be inspected by State quarantine .
Hilo side that is right behind the Airport Post Office, nice folks.
In the interest of not killing any 'awa but with reservations about taking them from home,
the best method is packing nodes in sphagnum moss.
I have been propagating this plant since 1985 and this moss can hold them safe for up
to 6 weeks.

Botana Luke

As they are coming from Hawai'i, legally, they should be inspected by State quarantine .
Hilo side that is right behind the Airport Post Office, nice folks.
In the interest of not killing any 'awa but with reservations about taking them from home,
the best method is packing nodes in sphagnum moss.
I have been propagating this plant since 1985 and this moss can hold them safe for up
to 6 weeks.
Thanks for the advise.

Yes the sender is processing everything for the shipment.

I appreciate the help. I have not had much luck with Kava growing over the years and i would really to have a couple of varieties to drink.

How damp does the moss have to be? I have tried to root in moss before but they have always rotted.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Thanks for the advise.

Yes the sender is processing everything for the shipment.

I appreciate the help. I have not had much luck with Kava growing over the years and i would really to have a couple of varieties to drink.

How damp does the moss have to be? I have tried to root in moss before but they have always rotted.
It always works for me and many others here. The moss should be immerced in water for a few minutes
then squeeze out like a sponge, so its not dripping wet . Sometimes I use Physan 20 teaspoon per gallon
of water--in the water-- but that's optional. Sphagnum moss is anti-fungal.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
I have nothing to add to Alia's great suggestion but I'm curious about your existing kava plant. How is the one depicted in your avatar doing?