What's new

Stimulant-like effects from Kava?

Hi, I'm new to the forum but not new to kava.  I tried it in high school several times (pills, capsules) only a few times did I actually get effects but the pills contained something else which gave me an awful headache.  Anyway, I ordered some of the Stone Kava a week or so ago.  I made it following the instructions on the site.  I made the stronger stuff and set it in the fridge as I had some stuff to do but drank about 2 cups of weaker drink from the leftover kava.  Felt a slight shift in consciousness and a little bit relaxed but still able to do what I needed to do.  Later on I imbibed some of the real drink that I got from the first "extraction."  I felt the same relaxing effects and slight shift again, not too much stronger though (more numbing in the mouth though).  So I proceeded to drink another shell and another.  Soon enough I was pretty relaxed, but not where I thought I'd be so I drank almost all I had made except the last shell.  At this point the stimulant effects began.  I started moving my tongue in a swirling type motion, as one would get with a stimulant.  My body was still relaxed but my mind began racing.  I also got very restless, I kept "needing" to get up to do this or that.  Overall I was very uncomfortable, the relaxation I had was overshadowed by the restlessness and speed feeling I was having.  I searched google for experiences like this and read most of the experiences at erowid.  I drank the last shell after I got off work earlier and then felt nice for a while and decided to make another batch and had 1 shell of it.  Now I'm okay, close to feeling the speedy feeling but I had some things to do which needed some focus.  
Really what I'm wondering about is, does anyone else get this?  It's the complete opposite of what i was expecting and from my past experiences with kava.  I didn't know if it was because I haven't done it in a while and maybe need to get reacquainted or what.  Maybe its this particular strain of kava that disagrees with me?  I don't know, just wondered if anyone else had similar experience and what they figured out.  I'm thinking of trying Wow! next, hoping it will relax me more and not give me this speedy feeling that I really do not like.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,Tom

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
Never experienced this mate. Be careful tho, that does not sound pleasant! I would bring the dosage down a bit. half a cup to 2 or 3 cups would do you fine.

So I have tried the stone several more times and I have noticed a reverse tolerance (it takes less to make me feel it).  Also I have concluded that it was me using to much to try to get a more sedating/intense "high" (which obviously backfired).  I have done it in lesser quantities and with more time in between shells and it has been much smoother and more relaxing.  The bit about setting being important is also more apparent.  I was reading on the Kava by Rex site that the kavain is the kavalactone that is the more psychoactive/heady and that DHK and DHM along with others are the more physically relaxing.  
I was wondering if stone, with it being more supposedly heady, was possibly why I got the effects I did.  And what other kavas are more physically relaxing.

kl.Project460

Kava Enthusiast
I think stone has a nice amount of kavain in it. Stuff like wow! kava is purely physical. Tongan is purely physical and very mild but relaxing. You might want to stay away from hawaiian kavas, they almost all have higher kavain contents then any others. I think it might just be you were downing shells too quickly? it definitely does make a difference to take your time in a kava sesh versus rushing right through it. A shell every 30 minutes is perfect.