What's new

Stone left in the fridge over night

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't been out here for a while because I've been taking some time off work and drinking too much, haven't been using much kava because of that, just drinking with friends, most of my friends being different brands of beer.

So night before last, I was happily at home having a lazy evening when friends came over again. So we drank quite a few beers. I had kneaded up a batch of Stone and was really looking forward to it. But when all of my friends were gone, I looked at the bowl on my kitchen counter, kava strainer still in the water and thought, uhh, better just put that in the fridge for tomorrow. So I did, not bothering to take the strainer out of water or anything you know, because alcohol makes you do silly stuff like that.

Yesterday morn, I opened the fridge and happened to glance down at the bowl of kava and I was like ... what the ... is that!? :nailbiting: Seriously, it scared me. It was a metallic copper like color and I thought, wow, is that stuff radioactive? Nah, it can't really be that color, it has to be the light in the fridge. So I took it out. Well, it wasn't quite copper color, but it was a really dark murky almost rust color. It looked scary, like some sort of chemical waste product that you might see leaking out of a big barrel with all those toxin symbols on it. There was also a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bowl. I poured it out cause there was no way I was taking a drink of that stuff, lol. :wtf:

That really sucks wasting good kava, but that's the last time I'll leave any in the fridge with the strainer still immersed in water. Live and learn.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I had kneaded up a batch of Stone and was really looking forward to it. But when all of my friends were gone, I looked at the bowl on my kitchen counter, kava strainer still in the water and thought, uhh, better just put that in the fridge for tomorrow. So I did, not bothering to take the strainer out of water or anything you know, because alcohol makes you do silly stuff like that.

Yesterday morn, I opened the fridge and happened to glance down at the bowl of kava and I was like ... what the ... is that!? :nailbiting: Seriously, it scared me. It was a metallic copper like color and I thought, wow, is that stuff radioactive? Nah, it can't really be that color, it has to be the light in the fridge. So I took it out. Well, it wasn't quite copper color, but it was a really dark murky almost rust color. It looked scary, like some sort of chemical waste product that you might see leaking out of a big barrel with all those toxin symbols on it. There was also a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bowl. I poured it out cause there was no way I was taking a drink of that stuff, lol. :wtf:

That really sucks wasting good kava, but that's the last time I'll leave any in the fridge with the strainer still immersed in water. Live and learn.
Great decision to leave the kava for the next day after alcohol Hyperion and avoiding "The thing" after it sat in the fridge the next day. ;)
giphy-2.gif

Alcohol makes you do some strange things and putting the kava back in the bowl with the strainer is honestly minor at best hahaha, though I feel you on wasting the kava; I would've been rather disappointed but lesson learned I guess :LOL:.

One more thing for extra info, kava is great stored in the fridge inside of a sealed bottle because kava becomes rancid when exposed in open air for long periods of time; otherwise it'll be fine after being strained into the aforementioned sealed bottle.(y)

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It may have sucked some of the dye out the fijian strainer, I've never heard if they worry about using 'food grade' dyes there or not...sad to see a batch of stone go down the drain :cry:

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Great decision to leave the kava for the next day after alcohol Hyperion and avoiding "The Thing" after it sat in the fridge the next day. ;)
View attachment 1175

Alcohol makes you do some strange things and putting the kava back in the bowl with the strainer is honestly minor at best hahaha, though I feel you on wasting the kava; I would've been rather disappointed but lesson learned I guess :LOL:.
Lol, that picture looks familiar.. is that from a computer game?

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
It may have sucked some of the dye out the fijian strainer, I've never heard if they worry about using 'food grade' dyes there or not...sad to see a batch of stone go down the drain :cry:
Makes sense, shakas, I had thought about that also. And the strainer is brown and black. It looks pretty much like it did new, I think, but yeah could be a little of that... whatever it was, I wasn't about to drink it.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
You've got me thinking shakas, and the question of whether the dyes are food grade or not is a legitimate one because of the possibility that a little may leach in with every use.
If they're not food grade than I'd be be a little cautious to use one myself; though Hyperion may've just found a way to leach off the dye by soaking a fijian strainer in hot water (maybe cold?) for a period of time. :LOL:
It's likely not an issue in reality but it does warrant some thought. ;)
Edit- @Hyperion I'll go ahead and embolden the part of my post that answers your question :D.

NZdude

Kava Curious
Iv'e got a bowl of kava in the fridge, with the strainer in at the moment :nailbiting::nailbiting: Its only been there 4 hours, and will only be there another hour. I didnt think anything would be wrong with that, but thanks for the warning!

KavaCat

Meow.
Brown dye, when dilute can easily look orange! Dyes and pigments are a little funny like that. I have done a lot of traditional painting, as well as having worked with cake icing dyes in food service, and am familiar with things like that. Orange dye often looks dark brown, or red, when it's very concentrated. Yellow dye looks orange! One drop of orange food color in a giant vat of white icing results in a peach color. They might have used a strong "orange" dye to achieve the brown color. Maybe you should launder the bag a couple times to get the extra dye out?

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Iv'e got a bowl of kava in the fridge, with the strainer in at the moment :nailbiting::nailbiting: Its only been there 4 hours, and will only be there another hour. I didnt think anything would be wrong with that, but thanks for the warning!
Well, I'm not sure what the deal was. As some were suspecting, could be the dye from the strainer bag. Also, Stone is particularly potent and does produce a very cloudy drink, so that could be part of it. Also, I left it for at least 12 hours.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Brown dye, when dilute can easily look orange! Dyes and pigments are a little funny like that. I have done a lot of traditional painting, as well as having worked with cake icing dyes in food service, and am familiar with things like that. Orange dye often looks dark brown, or red, when it's very concentrated. Yellow dye looks orange! One drop of orange food color in a giant vat of white icing results in a peach color. They might have used a strong "orange" dye to achieve the brown color. Maybe you should launder the bag a couple times to get the extra dye out?
Makes sense. I've had it a long time, well about a month, but I will definitely try the laundry thing.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah, I poured boiling water on a fijian strainer once and it caused a bunch of dye to seep out. Not sure if long term fridge storage would do the same thing.