What's new

Powdered Kava Review Stone

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
cpReview
{"Grade":6,"Potency":8,"Mind":8,"Body":4,"Anxiety":6,"Sedative":6,"Taste":"-6","Preparation":"3 heaping Tbsp. of Stone to 2 cups of water, kneaded thoroughly for 10 minutes with extreme prejudice.","Duration":"4 hours","SideEffects":"A little nervous unsettled feeling. No gut or wind problems.","Headline":"Everybody Must Get Stone"}
This one has been a long time coming, for me. I knew about Stone from Kavasseur's reviews long before I ever put any kava in my mouth. I'd read reviews and discussions about it here on the forums and knew it was something I wanted to try. The potency was renowned and a benchmark for many. I put off most of the heavy kava until after I'd made the rounds of vendors for the heady stuff. I assumed Stone was heavy, but discovered that it really isn't. At least not completely.

Preparation and Taste
Prepared my usual way. In this case I went with 3 heaping Tbsp. instead of the usual two because I really wanted to run the Stone up the flagpole on my first outing. I also used 3 heaping Tbsp. on my second outing, several days later. This is to approximately 2 cups of warm water, kneaded in the 25 micron bag for 10 minutes. No second wash either time.​
Kavadude described the taste as "mulchy" and yes, that's pretty perfect. The taste is Vanuatu. Not Vanuatu kava, but the actual landmasses of Vanuatu's islands. Like murky thick mud full of decomposing tree bark and dead plants. But without the sulfurous quality. There's a "greenness" reminiscent of yard clippings from freshly mown grass. It's not going to win any beauty pageants for flavor. But it's kava, and none of it REALLY tastes that bad any more. It's not the worst tasting kava I've had, but it's in there with it.​
Onset and Effects
Effects at 35-40 minutes, with full strength around an hour. On my first outing with it I was completely underwhelmed. Maybe it was the 6 months of buildup to actually trying it for the first time amidst rampant praise on the board. At any rate, it was definitely not as strong as GHK's Papa Kea, which hit me a lot harder and faster and took me to greater heights with less ground root.​
It *was* an interesting session, though. The feeling was unlike many other kava varieties I've tried. On my second session, I got a stronger effect from the three heaping Tbsp. than on the first go around. And there was definitely a headiness to it, which surprised me. I'm not sure why I expected it to be heavy, but it really wasn't. In fact, it was two-times-heady in the sense that I got the great Kavain giddiness and warmth in my face, breast, chest, neck and head. But also got some heady Yangonin unease and micro-anxiety early on in the session. Yangonin must burn fast in the body because this was gone after two hours. I don't care for that feeling. I'm not a fan of high Yangonin kava.​
DHK was present in what I consider now to be DHK telltale signs. The body looseness and eye lag, the slight balance shifting as if standing on the deck of a slowly rolling steam ship. The overall effects were mostly pleasant, and very complex. There's a lot going on with this one. I don't know if it's a blend, but I do know it's Noble as per Deleted User's assessment.​
Conclusions and Final Thoughts
I expected to love this, or at least be blown away by Nakamal @ Home's Stone kava. Yet again a case where high expectations lead to unimpressed experiences. Like BKH's 11 Year Waka, the Yangonin didn't sit well with me. The heady effects are pretty pronounced and while it didn't make me zoom around the room like BKH's Nambawan, I did enjoy the early and late parts of the session. It's the hour or so in the middle where I felt restless and anxious that I could do away with. I will continue to drink it and see how the rest of the bag pans out. I know that a lot of what you get out of a kava session has to do with what you're going into it with.​
Next Day Effects
None, really, except for a little sedation because I drank it too late in the day. It's a clean kava, and didn't make me feel too dragged out. Some black tea in the morning and then again before lunch sorted me out pretty well. I enjoy a clean kava that doesn't drag me back to bed in the morning.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Great review Steve,
Ya stone is different, its what I started out with and I think that may be why I went through RT so fast?
Stone is strong kava, its just not for everyone,
It does have a weird feeling I cant put my finger on, it just feels different then most kavas...
I would almost agree it feels like its a mix or somthing just because of how the effects are so strong.yet different and change.and ya...like I said its hard to put my finger on!
I was very glad to hear it was noble, and if I remeber right around 11% kavalactones? Either way its some serious kava, you need to be in the mood for it...
And ya, the taste sucks for the most part! Lol..
Glad you got to try out stone though, atleast you can cross it off your must try list hehe....:)

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Stone makes me feel terrible. I don't wanna knock a reputable vendor who sells quality kava, but for me with this particular product is a really bad one. I know a lot of people love it. I am sensitive and prone to anxiety, I think that's part of the reason it doesn't work well for me. It gives me intense anxiety and a feeling of general unwellness. And Im familiar with the "jaw clenching" effect which the OP mentioned.

Last edited:

kavatester

Kava Curious
i wouldn't describe stone as "heavy" at all either but different people have different reactions and different ways of describing things , and does anyone really understand yangonin?everytime i think i have figured out exactly what yangonin does i find a high or low strain that surprises me in its effects. maybe thats a new post....what the heck is yangonin and what does it really do? i used to think it cancelled out certain effects of other kavalactones ,then for awhile i thought maybe it had anti anxiety properties,then i thought it might induce anxiety....i have been told so many things by people who sound "educated" im not really sure about anything concerning yangonin anymore as i have had similar effects from strains featuring it at both the beginning or end of chemotype...anyone else have ideas on what a high yangonin strain usually feels like? vs a low one?

O
This one has been a long time coming, for me. I knew about Stone from Kavasseur's reviews long before I ever put any kava in my mouth. I'd read reviews and discussions about it here on the forums and knew it was something I wanted to try. The potency was renowned and a benchmark for many. I put off most of the heavy kava until after I'd made the rounds of vendors for the heady stuff. I assumed Stone was heavy, but discovered that it really isn't. At least not completely.

Preparation and Taste
Prepared my usual way. In this case I went with 3 heaping Tbsp. instead of the usual two because I really wanted to run the Stone up the flagpole on my first outing. I also used 3 heaping Tbsp. on my second outing, several days later. This is to approximately 2 cups of warm water, kneaded in the 25 micron bag for 10 minutes. No second wash either time.

Kavadude described the taste as "mulchy" and yes, that's pretty perfect. The taste is Vanuatu. Not Vanuatu kava, but the actual landmasses of Vanuatu's islands. Like murky thick mud full of decomposing tree bark and dead plants. But without the sulfurous quality. There's a "greenness" reminiscent of yard clippings from freshly mown grass. It's not going to win any beauty pageants for flavor. But it's kava, and none of it REALLY tastes that bad any more. It's not the worst tasting kava I've had, but it's in there with it.
Onset and Effects
Effects at 35-40 minutes, with full strength around an hour. On my first outing with it I was completely underwhelmed. Maybe it was the 6 months of buildup to actually trying it for the first time amidst rampant praise on the board. At any rate, it was definitely not as strong as GHK's Papa Kea, which hit me a lot harder and faster and took me to greater heights with less ground root.

It *was* an interesting session, though. The feeling was unlike many other kava varieties I've tried. On my second session, I got a stronger effect from the three heaping Tbsp. than on the first go around. And there was definitely a headiness to it, which surprised me. I'm not sure why I expected it to be heavy, but it really wasn't. In fact, it was two-times-heady in the sense that I got the great Kavain giddiness and warmth in my face, breast, chest, neck and head. But also got some heady Yangonin unease and micro-anxiety early on in the session. Yangonin must burn fast in the body because this was gone after two hours. I don't care for that feeling. I'm not a fan of high Yangonin kava.

DHK was present in what I consider now to be DHK telltale signs. The body looseness and eye lag, the slight balance shifting as if standing on the deck of a slowly rolling steam ship. The overall effects were mostly pleasant, and very complex. There's a lot going on with this one. I don't know if it's a blend, but I do know it's Noble as per Deleted User's assessment.
Conclusions and Final Thoughts
I expected to love this, or at least be blown away by Nakamal @ Home's Stone kava. Yet again a case where high expectations lead to unimpressed experiences. Like BKH's 11 Year Waka, the Yangonin didn't sit well with me. The heady effects are pretty pronounced and while it didn't make me zoom around the room like BKH's Nambawan, I did enjoy the early and late parts of the session. It's the hour or so in the middle where I felt restless and anxious that I could do away with. I will continue to drink it and see how the rest of the bag pans out. I know that a lot of what you get out of a kava session has to do with what you're going into it with.
Next Day Effects
None, really, except for a little sedation because I drank it too late in the day. It's a clean kava, and didn't make me feel too dragged out. Some black tea in the morning and then again before lunch sorted me out pretty well. I enjoy a clean kava that doesn't drag me back to bed in the morning.​
k so I'm really worried I picked the wrong kava to try for my first time. I was trying to find a reputable vender and in my search came across the praise for stone. The first 3 days I read up on the many reviews, everyone mentioned how kava relieved anxiety. I get extreme paranoia when trying other recreational things that most ppl get a chill from. So kava was recommended to me. I ordered it two days ago and now I'm seeing this. It almost makes me panic about even THINKING I might have another 1-2 hour paranoid, mental anguishing fear filled time. Since this one seems to bring that out in ppl, can someone pls recommend a kava that is easy on a first timer that is prone to paranoid freak outs. I like the calming sensation of alcohol but hate to drink and I really thought I had found what I was looking for in kava. Anyone who could pls point out a diff kava I could try from this same vendor I would greatly appreciate it!

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
well stone kava was my very first kava, and although it's certainly not the best...it's not the worst either,
It has a very bad taste and that's one of the reasons I don't drink it any more, I mean all kava taste bad right? Not realy, once you get through/over RT...
And you start feeling the effects of the kava full force, you will hopefully by then at least appreciate the taste of kava more,
Now I don't think I have read much of anything from stone kava making people freak out, just the opposite actually....
Almost all kava CALM'S instead of pushing people into panic attacks, stone is a strong kava with alot of kavalactones but I never had a problem...
And Allot of people on here started with stone as well, I would put the whole "freak out" thing out of your mind and give it a chance...
Make up a small batch of stone, 1-2 tbsp...give it a try, if that much causes you to have bad effects of freaking out you probably need to see a dr...
Most people on here take kava for the sole purpose of not having panic attacks ect ect...good luck though and report back :)

I just received a pound of Stone kava dropped at my home this afternoon. Now, my expectation was that it would be very similar to Fiji medium grind. But I would have to say that the grind was finer. Without a doubt this is stronger than any kava I've had before. I think I'll be buying more soon...