What's new

Medicinal Usage Stopped feeling effects after 5 months of heavy daily use

I've been drinking kava for almost a year and it's saved my life. Every few months, I stop feeling the effects of it so I take a two week break, during which I take agmantine and magnesium daily to reset my tolerance as suggested by someone on this sub. Every other time that I've come back from a break, I feel the effects after 2-3 sessions.

But this time it's been nearly two weeks of drinking a SHIT TON daily to no avail. I always drink KWK's Pouni Ono (micronized and medium grind) or their current special Samoan (medium grind). I haven't changed anything about how I prepare it, or take it, or anything else that could be affecting it.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I the only one who needs to take tolerance breaks like this despite the reverse tolerance? Heeeeeeeeeelp me please!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've been drinking kava for almost a year and it's saved my life. Every few months, I stop feeling the effects of it so I take a two week break, during which I take agmantine and magnesium daily to reset my tolerance as suggested by someone on this sub. Every other time that I've come back from a break, I feel the effects after 2-3 sessions.

But this time it's been nearly two weeks of drinking a SHIT TON daily to no avail. I always drink KWK's Pouni Ono (micronized and medium grind) or their current special Samoan (medium grind). I haven't changed anything about how I prepare it, or take it, or anything else that could be affecting it.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I the only one who needs to take tolerance breaks like this despite the reverse tolerance? Heeeeeeeeeelp me please!
While this isn't the norm, it's seems it's not exactly unheard of. I'm not exactly sure why some people are afflicted with this and some aren't. I've been drinking at the level of 40 grams per night for many years. The feeling waxes and wanes but it's never completely gone. Has something changed in your life that's different from when you drank kava before? Change in sleep schedule? Diet? Any new medications?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Nothing has really changed. I've had an unstable sleep schedule, but can't think of anything else.
That could play into it quite a bit. If you’re getting excessive sleep, I‘ve found that kava is muted to a significant degree. It always seems to work for me best when I’m the most tired and willing to give in to the relaxing effects.

Of course everyone’s different, but I’ve never seen someone develop a total tolerance to kava after having had effects from it prior. I’d say maybe try a bell ringer like stone or Papa Kea. Something with a real punch of kavalactones to remind your system how to behave.