What's new

Storing kava in tupperware on the counter?

C

ChoppyShores

Hi everyone, for the last week I've been storing a bunch of stone in a big tupperware(not especially airtight) on the counter with some silica packets in it. I've done this in the past with other kavas and they seemed fine even without the silica but this stone seems to have developed a sort of less dirt more sweet smell to it for some reason. Has anyone else ever stored kava like this or had the smell change slightly over the course of 7-8 days?
I know I probably should have just kept it in the original bag or something better than the tupperware but it's a lot easier to dip into like that.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Hi everyone, for the last week I've been storing a bunch of stone in a big tupperware(not especially airtight) on the counter with some silica packets in it. I've done this in the past with other kavas and they seemed fine even without the silica but this stone seems to have developed a sort of less dirt more sweet smell to it for some reason. Has anyone else ever stored kava like this or had the smell change slightly over the course of 7-8 days?
I know I probably should have just kept it in the original bag or something better than the tupperware but it's a lot easier to dip into like that.
In 2013, I bought my mum 1 pound of Malekula Magik from then operating GKE

It sat opened, in a plastic tupperware tub until last October.

It worked as well for me at the time as the new, fresh kavas I was rotating it with.

As long as the effect is still there.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If you are going to take it out of the bag, you are probably better of with glass jars. It's possible the plastic in the tupperware could create the smell.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
If you are going to take it out of the bag, you are probably better of with glass jars. It's possible the plastic in the tupperware could create the smell.
Indeed. Glass mason jars are best, or at least a screwlid empty coconut oil jar or something.

I only jar the kavas which arrive in non sealable packets, otherwise I just squash as much air out as possible before resealing.

But I don't think it is actually such a big deal, going by my experience of 6 year opened, tupperwared Malekula magic.

C

ChoppyShores

Okay, I did drink the rest of it with no problems, idk why I didn't just use a mason jar in the first place when I've got a ton of them laying around lol

Thanks guys! ::shaka::

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Okay, I did drink the rest of it with no problems, idk why I didn't just use a mason jar in the first place when I've got a ton of them laying around lol

Thanks guys! ::shaka::
Next time bro, next time. You're all set! And remember, nothing lost!

Thanks for keeping us posted, we all appreciate it when members come back to briefly update us.