What's new

Strainer Bags

sdcanoe

Hello,
I am fairly new to Kava and have question about strainer bags. I currently have two bags, a fine mesh Fiji and a beer making bag with bigger holes. The beer store bag makes a stronger Kava, but it is quite gritty with lots of small particles. So far it has not bothered my stomach at all, but is there any reason to worry about drinking the particles? Thank you.

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Hello,
I am fairly new to Kava and have question about strainer bags. I currently have two bags, a fine mesh Fiji and a beer making bag with bigger holes. The beer store bag makes a stronger Kava, but it is quite gritty with lots of small particles. So far it has not bothered my stomach at all, but is there any reason to worry about drinking the particles? Thank you.
Hi,
I advise against this method of preparation. These particles will have a bad effect on the stomach and skin.
Maybe you can make stronger kava with a kava bag? How do you prepare the beverage? Traditionally or with a blender? Maybe you don't knead long enough? After using a blender, it is also good to squeeze (and soak) the bag several times.

Jean

Kava Curious
I can only confirm Safirek's comments. That is why many kava consumers react negatively with micronized kava since it comprises particles of size well above 100 micrometers while with a 80 mesh filter the particle size is up to roughly 120 micrometers.

sdcanoe

Thank you for the replies. I will switch to the Fiji strainer bag, and maybe knead a little longer. Thank you.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
buy a few nylon nut-milk bags with different micron sizes; like 75μm and 100μm and whatever else works good for you. the best option depends on the individuals gut tolerance and the grind of the kava powder you're using. after long term use the mesh of your strainer will get clogged with kavalactones and eventually make your microns smaller. ::tanoafull::

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hello,
Bags that have a mesh range from 70-100 microns is typically the best for medium grind kava. I like nylon nut milk bags because they are easy to clean and keep sanitary. Drinking/eating the larger particles will not cause any real harm but could cause more nausea, stomach upset, and over the long term eventually kava dermopathy (really dry skin). On the plus side your kava will be much stronger with the larger particles. Some people even use a method called "toss and wash" where you just scoop it in your mouth and wash it down....but really don't do this, it is not a great way to enjoy kava.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Do you have a photo of the larger hole strainer please? With cheesecloth, you can make kava, even if it is a bit more gritty and you have to be careful when sopping the roots with water in between squeezing, it can certainly be done.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
the best option depends on the individuals gut tolerance and the grind of the kava powder you're using ::tanoafull::
Hi @sɥɐʞɐs.

As usual, @sɥɐʞɐs can always be relied upon for good information. Myself, I have switched to different strainer bags over the years, mostly as a result of the quest to get more effects from the root. @sɥɐʞɐs is a self described hard-head, and over time I've found myself in the same situation. In addition, it seems that medium grind powdered kava that is generally available has become weaker over time.

So what strainer have I been using over the past year or so? Its a knee high stocking. Yes a simple knee high. I've got no idea how many microns it is, but it lets through A LOT of root. My main focus these days is not to drink makas, but anything else is game. Using knee high stockings will give you maximum effects while filtering the unwanted makas, however the concern for you is the concern for all of us: How much can your gut take? If your stomach can take the gut bomb of using a simple stocking , then rest assured you will be getting the maximum effects you can possibly get from your kava grog. I take about 5 minutes to knead the medium grind root, and always do a second wash. Drinking that much root material isn't easy, however, and not everyone can do it. For those days my gut is about to revolt, I'll mix the grog with Silk unsweetened coconut milk. This makes the grog more palatable and gives my gut some relief. Also Reeds Extra Ginger Beer (non-alcoholic) helps too. I believe it is the official beverage of the Kava Forums so its worth checking out. Also it should be mentioned that the more root you consume, the quicker you will get dermo, but that is no big deal if you simply quit drinking kava for a couple weeks. I've found if I have kava on hand, regardless of dermo, I'll drink more kava. So just allow yourself to run out & re-order kava after a week or so.

Have I got that about right @sɥɐʞɐs? I hope all is well with you my friend & keep it metal. :cool: \m/

sdcanoe

Here is a photo of the beer store bag. I have switched to the Fiji bag, and soak it for 20 min. and then knead for about 10 min. This seems to be working, the kava is good and strong, with no particles.

Attachments