What's new

Straining Bag/Alternative Aluball Question...

Nikki Collins

Kava Curious
I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for reusable/washable mini strainer bags (cheese cloth/muslin/milk bag preferences, etc.), that I can buy on Amazon. Looking for a less expensive alternative to the Aluball, that may let more Kava in and that I can shake in an average sized mason jar. Looking to make my weekday Kava experience a little easier to get done without kneading, etc. I love the process, but not something I can invest a lot time on during the week with kids, etc. I still plan on making stronger batches the more traditional way on the weekends :). Also, any advice on how much whole milk to add to my Kava/Water/Milk ratio per serving/shell? Thanks!

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
you could always just buy a good bombilla, a filtered straw used with yerba mate. Just put the root directly in a mason jar, shake it up, and use the bombilla to filter out all the root. the ones with the springs like this are good, and easy to clean . May not be the cheapest, but at least you could use the bombilla for other teas also

Amazon product

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for reusable/washable mini strainer bags (cheese cloth/muslin/milk bag preferences, etc.), that I can buy on Amazon. Looking for a less expensive alternative to the Aluball, that may let more Kava in and that I can shake in an average sized mason jar. Looking to make my weekday Kava experience a little easier to get done without kneading, etc. I love the process, but not something I can invest a lot time on during the week with kids, etc. I still plan on making stronger batches the more traditional way on the weekends :). Also, any advice on how much whole milk to add to my Kava/Water/Milk ratio per serving/shell? Thanks!
@Edward Is a good person to ask about the milk. I've never seen the smaller bags but kwk has one that might serve the purpose, I believe it's 100 micron (Aluball is 80) so you get a bit more bang for your root. It might work with a large mason jar. Keep us posted!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
The guy who made the video that got me onto using milk added about 50 ml in about a litre of water but I use about a quarter of my liquid as milk. When I first started I used to mix instant with all milk and got amazing results but I found you can use less milk and more water and still be good. As for the amount of kava that's a very personal thing and depends on the kava. It's a very trial and error thing.

jemo

Kava Curious
you could always just buy a good bombilla, a filtered straw used with yerba mate. Just put the root directly in a mason jar, shake it up, and use the bombilla to filter out all the root. the ones with the springs like this are good, and easy to clean . May not be the cheapest, but at least you could use the bombilla for other teas also

Amazon product
As a mate drinker myself, I have wondered whether this is possible. You're saying, you just shake up medium grind Kava in a mason jar and drink through the bombilla? I mean, the openings are much larger than a strainer bag (1-2mm)- no problems here? Hows the extraction efficiency, given that you're not blending or kneading?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As a mate drinker myself, I have wondered whether this is possible. You're saying, you just shake up medium grind Kava in a mason jar and drink through the bombilla? I mean, the openings are much larger than a strainer bag (1-2mm)- no problems here? Hows the extraction efficiency, given that you're not blending or kneading?
@Krunkie McKrunkface has been known to do just this. He uses a bombilla to filter out the large particles in his kava.

Nikki Collins

Kava Curious
That’s after straining with trad prep bags or AluBall, though. I think this avoidance of particles explains why I shell every day but have not got dermo even once in the three years since I adopted this style.
BTW, I love your video's on YouTube, they have been the most helpful in learning more and more about Kava and how to prepare it!!!

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
Ive wondered about the quality of brew, but i mean it must be the same as the aluball (i havent tried it) its the same thing i dont think the ball does anything special besides keep the root seperate. I use a pretty good bombilla, it is the spring type and doesnt let too many big particles through, especially the big ones. it might be a different story for the other type of bombilla. sometimes i even drink kava that has been strained with a bombilla, just to get filter out the big root pieces