What's new

Kava Preparation Straining question (not new new here but still new)

BourbonMac

I like herbs
I use an AluBall, max 20 grams, pushed down as much as possible, sealed shut.
I notice after prep there's like, a micro amount of sediment visible if I look closely. I assume this is normal? It seems mostly grog at first, but you can kind of see little tiny specks. Even when I've put less in I notice this. I just want to make sure this is proper, I mean it mostly just looks like coffee with cream. I've had skin issues sometimes from it and wanted to be sure I wasn't screwing something up. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to settle at the bottom, no? I remember this from kavafieds video and he said to shake it up between sips. I don't use shells, I just put it in a red solo cup.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BourbonMac

I like herbs
I don't know why my skin has been fine the last 2 days... it was horribly itchy the first day back at it. I guess a specific strain might've been making it worse? I've no clue, I did Lewena the other day, last night I did half Malo Tanga and Santa Cruz I believe.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I don't know why my skin has been fine the last 2 days... it was horribly itchy the first day back at it. I guess a specific strain might've been making it worse? I've no clue, I did Lewena the other day, last night I did half Malo Tanga and Santa Cruz I believe.
Yeah maybe stick to lower amounts of less potent kava, like Lewenas, Tongans and Hawaiians are the best, with emphasis on Hawaiian kavas, i find them the smoothest type from all the kava regions. Maybe Nene or Mo'i, not sure if Chris is selling yet...You can always get fresh Hawaiian from Pu'u O Hoku Ranch. Fresh kava is the best thing in the world!!

BourbonMac

I like herbs
I didn't have time to strain any, I'm basically out of the extract and decided 1 gram might be fine for my tinnitus tomorrow.
Damn, my skin is instantly burning and irritated. Yeah, I think this was the problem most of all. I may have had a bad time one night off 60g of kava but that's a high dose. I'm trashing this crap. It's on me for not prepping it regularly, I was going to take tomorrow off for a dentist check-up post-op after my wisdom tooth removal but I barely don't have enough, so I can do a half shift and barely make it.

I promptly just dumped the rest of that crap out. See, I was often doing a little bit with kava. I think you pointed out extracts are bad. They're not only not effective, but they contain so many kavalactones that it simply cannot be good for your skin at any rate. It's missing all the good alkaloids.

1 gram is the lowest amount I've taken to have any reaction. In fact prior days I didn't have one at all. So from now on I'm going to get my stuff prepped ahead of time. I just didn't realize I couldn't take tomorrow off until almost 11 and had to hurry up, my sleep schedule is a mess. I'm not even itchy I'm just... irritated, it's not pleasant. I do have micronized coming, which I know tends to be worse on the skin, but I'm going to strain it this time.

Nodsey

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah I put micronised through the Aluball - you'll be surprised how much is left in there! Have you tried anti histamine for the skin thing?

BourbonMac

I like herbs
Yeah I have, they help a little. Sometimes I just don't have the reaction at all though. All I know is, 1g of the extract causing problems is the absolute biggest red flag. No more of that stuff.

Got my micronized in today, thought about doing like, 10g? I'd do that unstrained and usually feel pretty good, as far as I'm aware it's more potent, at least according to KWK who says it's 3x more potent. My stomach could handled it unstrained but it did back me up IMMENSELY bad after about 2 weeks. Had stomach aches the first few times but ginger root always took care of it. I imagine it might lose some potency strained, got Loa Waka like last time because I remember it being very nice. Medium grind never really gave me the same feeling though I didn't often dose past 20-40g. Even then, there were times I took 40-60g and didn't feel a whole lot.

Had a skin reaction on medium grindl prep when I did 60g before, I think that's the only time just that caused the reaction but I'm not sure. I wanted to try micro just in case it somehow doesn't cause issues while strained. Anywho maybe I'll do 12.5g or something, a happy medium if in theory 2g of potency was lost essentially. A few times it didn't do much, it could be hit or miss I found, but usually worked quite well. Out of maybe 15 times I took it 2 or 3 of them I didn't feel much.