What's new

Forum News Such Proudness

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I don't know about you guys, but this website is awesome. I may be a tad biased because...well just because, but seriously. The collaborative effort that's going on is so great to witness.

A little back story to the creation of kavaforums to those who found us after our first incarnation as the kavasseur's yuku lounge forum:

Our beginnings:

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the kavasseur's blog at blogspot. We were a community that banded together around his yuku platform forum. At the time there was literally nothing even close to a review about kava circulating anywhere on the internet so we hung on his every word. Every review he would post would cause a flurry of activity of members on the message board. I myself remained a lurker for a good year at least. I joined and lurked further until I jumped in and started to converse with the members there. Everyone was so helpful and insightful. There were all sorts of projects going on and every new discovery made by a member was celebrated. A year or so on things began to quiet down since the kavasseur moved to Ghana. Fewer reviews were posted and it felt as if the community as a whole was loosing steam. About this time (November of 2012) is when I purchased the domain name for kavaforums. I and several members pitched the idea of a new forum that had better control over features (and maybe even a "like" function!). It was met with some enthusiasm, but most were happy with the platform as it was, so kavaforums.com sat unused for a number of months in the interim. There were many days where we wouldn't see a single post being shared which caused me and I'm sure a number others to begin to feel the tension. I knew something had to be done to keep the kava community as populated and as colorful as it was in the old days. Hence the first green incarnation of kavaforums. We still owe our communities beginnings to the efforts of Doug LaRose (aka the kavasseur).

Our website is now lightyears ahead of where we were in the past. Better spam control (although yes a few have gotten through), richer contact options, LIKES and chat! We're seeing around 100 new unique visitors a day on top of our loyal daily visitors. We're beginning to become a real force in the kava industry and hope to be a growing influence for ethical sales of kava in the future.

I believe it's time for some shout-outs

Headhodge has voluntarily taken on the occupation here as chief data organization administrator. He's doing a bang up job at getting things in place, code written, and sorting through the mountains of data. I want to let everyone know I have full confidence in him.

I want to publicly announce that infraredz is the newest member of our moderator team.
Infraredz has been with us from the beginning and has tirelessly documented scientific data on kava. I trust his judgement and honestly I think he's as qualified as you can get to hold the job.

Kavadude has been working in the background of the website since its beginnings and has been an integral part of moving all of the old posts form the yuku lounge to this new xenforo platform. He is a full administrator and moderator. He actually has the same root access to the website as I do, and has been helping me the whole time.

I also want to thank all the members and vendors who have stuck with us so far and continued to be a valuable part of our community. When we all continue to work together as we are now we can be sure to give the future of kava a fighting chance.

As we move into another weekend together I want everyone to know that they have my most sincere thanks in making this website as awesome as it is!

infraredz

BULA!
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was just ruminating on this the other day.

Thanks for the kind words, and I think that now, it's time YOU get some credit for everything you've done. You held the domain for the site, as well as supported the original chatroom, even back in the Yuku days. I remember all the conversations in the early days of this forum and I remember how tirelessly you worked to get everything to where it stands today. You definitely deserve a lot of praise, and recognition.

Also, I really have to say that this forum is by far, the best forum and community online right now (and it's only getting better, by the minute).
It's seriously astounding to me when I take a step back and look at everything.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
WOW That was really great, and inspiring to boot. Since I joined this forum, I think this is the most I've ever heard you say in a single post. :)

Thanks for the kind words, but you left someone out of your shoutouts. YOU!

I'm retired now, and your efforts to create this great site has literally saved my life from my alcohol addiction. It was getting clear to see that if I didn't do something, I was going to have a "short retirement".

I don't think I can give back as much as I've received from this great place and all the great people here. :cry:

Yes, thank you Kapm for pulling the trigger on getting us off of Yuku. And thank you person who is reading this for being part of the most relaxed and helpful forum community I have ever been a part of!
I got to say that I hated the Yuku forum, I tried to engage on there but really couldn't. I remember saying to myself 'This is pure shit but there is so much potential here' and lo and behold this place was carefully and tirelessly crafted together and it's perfection. I know I sound like a real douchebag saying Yuku was shit but I can't really say I feel any other way about it. It was clunky and hard to use and didn't feel welcoming, despite the best efforts of many members. It just didn't work. The people here (many of whom I know came from the Yuku forum) have outdone themselves and I tip my hat to you sirs.

Unfortunately, now that I feel so at home here, you will have to endure endless posts from me, my apologies in advance :facepalm:

infraredz

BULA!
I got to say that I hated the Yuku forum, I tried to engage on there but really couldn't. I remember saying to myself 'This is pure shit but there is so much potential here' and lo and behold this place was carefully and tirelessly crafted together and it's perfection. I know I sound like a real douchebag saying Yuku was shit but I can't really say I feel any other way about it. It was clunky and hard to use and didn't feel welcoming, despite the best efforts of many members. It just didn't work. The people here (many of whom I know came from the Yuku forum) have outdone themselves and I tip my hat to you sirs.

Unfortunately, now that I feel so at home here, you will have to endure endless posts from me, my apologies in advance :facepalm:
I agree completely. I lurked there for possibly even more than a year before signing up and one of the reasons was the "quality" of the forum UI/function and such.

However, I think we should still be proud of that since it was the kavasseur's idea to create a community for kava people and that's the way that was available for him at the time. It definitely served its purpose and we should also thank him for starting his blog, and then getting a forum up and running.

I agree completely. I lurked there for possibly even more than a year before signing up and one of the reasons was the "quality" of the forum UI/function and such.

However, I think we should still be proud of that since it was the kavasseur's idea to create a community for kava people and that's the way that was available for him at the time. It definitely served its purpose and we should also thank him for starting his blog, and then getting a forum up and running.
Did not know this. Respect where respect is due.

D

Deleted User01

Dang Kapm, all this reminiscing is bringing tears to my eyes. This forum has come a long way baby. There is no other like it. I'm damn proud to be a member. :love: I salute you guys.

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
I'm more active on this than any other social networking site. Facebook, Twitter and all that gives me social networking anxiety! So then I drink a lot of kava and jump on the boards here. Feels like we're all drinking kava together on a virtual beach somewhere. Many Props to all the folk working hard every day on this great site!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I got to say that I hated the Yuku forum, I tried to engage on there but really couldn't.......
ha ha.. I remember my first post ever was on the Yuku site. I was really happy I did it, but I didn't see any good conversations going on and no one responded to my post. So I was discouraged. Then Kapm sent me a reply to my post and said something like "Hey!! Were Over Here Now". That one reply changed everything. :)

D

Deleted User01

Tidyminion just discovered a new malady attributable to the 21st century, Social Networking Anxiety. When do you come out with the book? Can I be your agent?

Tidyminion just discovered a new malady attributable to the 21st century, Social Networking Anxiety. When do you come out with the book? Can I be your agent?
LOL

I just can't understand how this Social Networking thing became so popular. Facebook sends you an email to let you know that someone has sent you a message right? Well isn't that basically the same as getting an email to let you know that you have received an email? Isn't that just called email?

BULABUCK

ROOTLYFE.
Yes i agree iam glad to be here with all of you. Good job to all who helped with the tech stuff . Kapm big ups to u . Thx everybody as well luv u guys and gals:shameshame:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I've been a member of several online forums over the years. I don't visit any of the other forums anymore...not one...except this one. I never really felt like one of the "regulars" or came across a place that felt like my "online home" (except for my house in Minecraft:woot: ) . But well..this has become that place. I may not check out the forums every single day but when I do it's like coming home and sitting in my favorite comfy chair. I'm glad to see our community growing. I'm also glad I've been around long enough to witness and take part in that transformation.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I've been a member of several online forums over the years.....
Hey @Vekta,

I'm now thinking that maybe we should should change the sign-up registration form to ask how old they are. But instead of physical years, make it Kava Years (the amount of years using Kava). That way instead of being one of the oldest persons here, I would be one of the youngest ones, you old fart!!! :D

endwatcher

Is there death before life?
@Kapmcrunk
You need one more person, that way you can call yourselves the "Fantastic 5" :ROFLMAO:
Seriously though,
Mahalo, from the bottom of my heart, I really enjoy the site. :shameshame:

infraredz

BULA!
And... we just hit 8,000 messages in our Kava Lounge alone.

I remember the early days when you and kavadude and I were trying to work on getting this site higher visibility and more traffic. We certainly have come a long way, and I only see it improving from here on out!