What's new

Sweet spot strainer sizing

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
Hello people!

I'm a back on the daily drinking things of kava. I never had major issue with dry skin and so forth, but I've been struggled quite a lot with stomach (belly) discomfort in the past few years.
It is always a trade-off of potency from .75 micron strainer and other ones (say that .75 micron is the balancing point)

So question for you guys, what are your experience with the 0.5 micron stainer? Is this a major factor of waste of money or it can turns out to be a good value (belly confort zone + potent kava effects)?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hello people!

I'm a back on the daily drinking things of kava. I never had major issue with dry skin and so forth, but I've been struggled quite a lot with stomach (belly) discomfort in the past few years.
It is always a trade-off of potency from .75 micron strainer and other ones (say that .75 micron is the balancing point)

So question for you guys, what are your experience with the 0.5 micron stainer? Is this a major factor of waste of money or it can turns out to be a good value (belly confort zone + potent kava effects)?
75 micron strainer is about as low as I would go. Anything lower and you just won't get an effective grog. That said you could do something like make your kava - and then let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Allows the larger particles to settle to the bottom and then just drink off the top. I think you will still be missing out a lot of KLs but maybe try it and see if it is strong enough for you.

Jean

Kava Curious
Hello people!

I have always troubles with micronized kavas, said troubles disappearing when I use a 80 mesh (less than 100 microns) with those micronized kavas. A lot of stuff remains in the strainer, meaning that a micronized kava has a broad distribution in size with a large tail of particles well over 100 microns, causing the belly discomfort. I've also noticed that synthetic strainers are much better than fabric (cotton) strainer. I suppose that this comes from the fact that by pressing on the strainer the fabric is more deformable and the holes bigger, leading to bigger particles present in the kava suspension.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hello people!

For a long time now I've used a 75 micron strainer, at least I think I have, how would you know if it wasn't?! This seems to be about right for me. I used to drink much more of the sediment like when I first started I used a normal metal strainer from the kitchen and just passed it through a bit at a time. I haven't had serious nausea since I started using the 75. I can cope with aluballed kava which I think lets in a bit more sediment but I prefer the smoothness of the strained kava. I would agree with @Zaphod and say that anything less than that might take away a bit too much of the effect but I suppose if someone were prone to nausea from too much sediment then that might be worth considering, say try a 50?

Camaytoc

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you guys for your feedback!

I was a bit expecting the answers, but I recall someone on this forum (like more then a year back ago) was saying that he reconciliated with kava by using a .5 micron mesh (to escape from stomac discomfort).
Well, on my side I can manage to deal with .75 even tho sometime I feel heavy at the belly, kind of anoying discomfort (but no nausea). I've never ordered any .5 because I was expecting it to be hard to kneed and creating week grog.

Down the line, I might just have to try it and get back to you guys and let you know!

Cheers!