What's new

Swollen eyelid

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have pretty dry eyelids at times from kava, but a week ago I was petting my moms cat (allergic) and touched my eyelid. The top eyelid swelled up, no head like a stye and I’ve had it for a whole week. Anyone have something like this? I should go to the doctor but it’s really hard to get an appointment right now. It doesn’t hurt but it itches slightly and the first day it was irritated. Now it’s just puffy and a little reddish, but barely.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yeah, sounds like a stye, especially if it's been going on for longer than a day. If it only itches slightly, then you've got some minor inflammation going on and you should be towards the end of the issue, but if it doesn't clear up soon definitely see an eye doctor because they can prescribe you some drops that will knock them out really fast.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have pretty dry eyelids at times from kava, but a week ago I was petting my moms cat (allergic) and touched my eyelid. The top eyelid swelled up, no head like a stye and I’ve had it for a whole week. Anyone have something like this? I should go to the doctor but it’s really hard to get an appointment right now. It doesn’t hurt but it itches slightly and the first day it was irritated. Now it’s just puffy and a little reddish, but barely.
Styes don't always have a "head" and can just swell up. It means there is a blockage. Things that have helped me:
(1) heat packs (sometimes just rice in a bag heated in microwave) can help clear the blockage and help it drain and sometimes draw it to a visible head that you can carefully pop. I don't do this if it is really swelled up though. In that case ice pack.
(2) Advil or other anti-inflammatory
(3) as natural as you can find eye drops to help the dryness
(4) witch hazel carefully applied to the eyelid can help reduce the swelling as well - just be careful to keep it out of your eye. It won't hurt your eye but it does sting a bit.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I rarely get styes anymore with drinking well peeled and clean kava, but when I got them in the past I would wash my eyes with baby shampoo and a moist cloth. After they are all clean and dry I would put eye lubricant in and use coconut oil around the eyes to moisturize. This method worked for me every time

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It's finally showing signs of going down after 8 days. I was a little concerned because I read that styes shouldn't last very long.