What's new

Powdered Kava Review Tanna Kaolik

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
I'm not a real expert when it comes to different kavas, so take my rating with a grain of salt. Still, i liked this kava enough to tell you about it.
First of all, it tastes nice and doesn't make you shudder in total disgust. But this is not the biggest pro. I really loved its mental effects, very anxiolytic with almost no sedation. It left me in a very inspired state, motivated yet pretty intoxicated. It reminded me a bit of tongan pride, but this one is stronger and not so much focused on the forehead but a bit broader...if you know what i mean. Perhaps also a little less euphoric, but with good mental clarity. I would also like to mention, that i suffer from chronic pain, and this one really helped the best compared to other kavas i have tried.

Even though i've only tried it twice, i really like this kava for what it does, so 4 shells!

Last edited by a moderator:

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting review! I have had this kava before and don't remember much about it, apart from the very coarse grind and strong smell. I would have expected it to be a real muscle relaxer, so your review is a surprise!

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Hi,
The grind isn't that coarse. It is coarser than malekula magic, but still fine. But it is hard to say lacking appropriate samples from more kavas. All i can say is, that i had finer and coarser kavas. I have decided to edit this field. Here is another review of this kava:

http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/noble-kava-product-ahouia-kaolik-tanna-island.1612/

- Apparently you can specify what grind you want. I thought the default grind was just perfect, myself.
This might explain why you had a coarser grind :)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
....so take my rating with a grain of salt...
Great Review @yiki !!! (y) I didn't take your advice. Instead I took your rating with 4 shells of Global's Malekula Magic instead. BULA :)
Out of curiosity, you mentioned you edited your review to change the grind. Did you experience any problems doing this?
Thanks for the great review.

Shantu

Kava Curious
Hmm I like your description. Could you maybe describe how it compares to other (GKE) kavas you have tried?

@HeadHodge
I edited some of my ratings on my Malekula review after posting it and it all went smoothly. The only thing I had a hard time with was finding that elusive Thread Tools menu. Would make more sense to have it in Edit post in my opinion, but it's probably due to the forum engine.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...@HeadHodge
I edited some of my ratings on my Malekula review after posting it and it all went smoothly......
Great, thanks for the feedback (y)
We were having some issues with it, and wanted to verify that they were corrected. Sounds like it, so that's good to hear.
Sorry, you're right the forum software controls how the thread is edited. Maybe @Kapmcrunk can rearrange buttons, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
@HeadHodge
I changed the grind because it is indeed not superfine, i did not ask GKE to send me a coarser grind ;)
As for comparison: I have tried malekula magic and Pentecost Pride so far. Both, Malekula magic and Pentecost Pride seem to fall into the balanced" category. MM appears to be a bit more on the heavy side of things, while PP feels like its more "heady" cousin. I enjoyed PP despite it being a weak seller in europe. The taste is fabolous - very mild. Perhaps not as strong as kaolik but it gives a sophisticated, very mellow, but not overly sedated feeling. I have not tried a higher dose of it yet...all i can say is that MM can make you "want to sit under a tree" if the dose is right...i really hate the taste of MM though...

MM is definitely the sit under a coconut tree variety, of that there is no doubt. PP is totally underestimated and is a good strain. Glad you like it. The taste of MM is liked by most people but your views are greatly respected and I like your review. The more reviews the better!

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, i would agree. I drank Pentecost Pride again, this time upping my dose to 1 cup and it wasn't even mild no more. I'm afraid to say, this was a similiar overdose as the Marang-Marang, but more pleasant ...it also led me into deep relaxation which lasted for days. I found that achieving this state is key when it comes to kava. I have reached it with malekula magic as well....

I'd even go and say i like Pentecost Pride better than Malekula magic, but more trials are needed. Personally, i feel Malekula Magic is a bit overhyped.

Still nothing tops Kaolik for me so far. It's just wonderful anti-anxiety, mood lifting, energizing yet relaxing...

Yes, i would agree. I drank Pentecost Pride again, this time upping my dose to 1 cup and it wasn't even mild no more. I'm afraid to say, this was a similiar overdose as the Marang-Marang, but more pleasant ...it also led me into deep relaxation which lasted for days. I found that achieving this state is key when it comes to kava. I have reached it with malekula magic as well....

I'd even go and say i like Pentecost Pride better than Malekula magic, but more trials are needed. Personally, i feel Malekula Magic is a bit overhyped.

Still nothing tops Kaolik for me so far. It's just wonderful anti-anxiety, mood lifting, energizing yet relaxing...
That feel good factor which can last for days is what makes up for any overpowering Kava effects for me. Malekula really does a number on me but it's the fact that I feel good way into the next evening and sometimes for a day or so after that keeps me coming back to it.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I obviously haven't wrote a review of this yet. But of the three Kava Europe varieties that I've tried this one was my least favorite. It made me feel pretty sick even through the next day.

Malekula Magic and Marang Marang are both lovely though.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting how taste and effects seem to vary so much! I really wonder why that is. I recently had my last bit of kaolik and i still love its heady, chill and euphoric vibe. I also noticed how clearheaded the feeling was for me. Malekula Magic for instance, makes me feel way more "drunk". This can be nice, but is not always preferred.

MM also makes me a bit nauseous, but i also drink the sediment which you aren't supposed to according to GKE :D

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Fortunatly, i've been able to revisit this kava. The current batch is still strong and like i remembered it. The stimulation and sense of joy is strong with this one. It makes me want to connect with people and leaves my mind relatively clear without much fog. I also noticed, that it produces a slight tingling sensation on my face, which is very curious, but pleasant.