What's new

Target for total lactone ingestion

MikeNMissy

Kava Curious
I'm reading about total kavalactone content percentage in specific batches. Of course the general consensus is more kavalactone percentage the better the kava. Makes sense. My question is this. What is your preferred level of kavalactone per serving? If a batch is 10% total kavalactone and you prep 30 grams (roughly 2tbs) your kavalactone ingestion is 3 grams. Does anyone think about that or try to calculate? I suppose we just wing it.. lol..

Also, how much is taken out of the root per wash? 10% of 30 grams is 3g so how much of that is gone after the 1st wash?

I'm a very mathematical person. I think things through.

Kisa's Fiji waka will be here tomorrow followed by a ROH Vanuatu on Thursday. I'm legitimately jonesing for a cup!

Bula guys!!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Logic and maths don't really work that well when it comes to kava. You can make the same batch two nights in a row and one night get blown away and the next night get nothing. I would worry less about it and just go by feel.

To answer your question though, you're not going to get 10% kavalactones unless you toss and wash which is not advised. Even then your body probably wouldn't separate all of the kavalactones from the kava.

Stronger isn't always better with kava. There are "weaker" kavas that I prefer to stronger ones.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Of course the general consensus is more kavalactone percentage the better the kava. Makes sense. !
Actually I would say the exact opposite - I think most long term users on this forum would say it is one, of many factors, that make a session "good". I have had low %kavalactone kava that was fantastic, and I have had high %kavalactone kava that was miserable.

verticity

I'm interested in things
It is true that there is much more to kava than just how strong it is or what the KL% is. On the other hand, kava is not exactly cheap these days, so I believe it is worthwhile as a thrifty consumer to think about how to get the most out of your "green gold". So here is the "Bittenbender CTAHR" presentation which has been discussed extensively on this forum in the past. This was a fairly systematic experiment to actually measure KL amounts in kava beverages prepared with various methods. The most efficient method was three rinses in a blender using hot water, which resulted in about 40% KL extraction efficiency. I can't find a working link to the pdf here though, so here it is yet again. Maybe it can find a home in the FAQ...

Attachments

Zaphod

Kava Lover
It is true that there is much more to kava than just how strong it is or what the KL% is. On the other hand, kava is not exactly cheap these days, so I believe it is worthwhile as a thrifty consumer to think about how to get the most out of your "green gold". So here is the "Bittenbender CTAHR" presentation which has been discussed extensively on this forum in the past. This was a fairly systematic experiment to actually measure KL amounts in kava beverages prepared with various methods. The most efficient method was three rinses in a blender using hot water, which resulted in about 40% KL extraction efficiency. I can't find a working link to the pdf here though, so here it is yet again. Maybe it can find a home in the FAQ...
Good point. Doing this extraction will get you over 2.5x more total KL then a hand only method. This will come in real handy if say you are stuck in your house for 14+ days....::rolling2::. Just note that prepping with hot water will make your kava a lot more bitter tasting.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I agree with Zaphod. Don't rule out a strain because it is low kavalactone. Some of the very best grogs I ever had, and nicest krunks, were from "low kavalactone" kava. It's a tragedy some don't get to market here because of that, some really fine kavas.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's been said that a big shell of good fresh root in Vanuatu will have roughly 1gram of kavalactones in it...sooo, I'm guessing the target for me is somewhere between 3grams to 6grams.

While it's true that you can have two kavas of different strengths and actually prefer the way the weaker of the two feels...I would say, the weaker one, that you prefer the effects of, would be even better yet, if it were stronger. So more potency is always better in my book, cuz even when I prefer one that happens to be weaker, I know it would be even better if it were stronger. ('weaker' & 'stronger' in this case being directly associated with kavalactone dosage/ingestion, or whatever else is responsible for the psychoactive effect) :D::chugger::

MikeNMissy

Kava Curious
I actually have been using the magic bullet to blend kava. I strain it by pouring it through cheesecloth. I squeeze the cheesecloth thoroughly and re wash the cake in the blender. I did a 3am wash with kisa's that knocked me out after I had the good "lust for life" for an hour n a half (iggy pop euphoria). My wife said I was snoring when I finally went to bed. That was the 3rd cup for the night and for some reason it hit me like a bus. It's hard for a novice to know if we're doing it right. We need a certified kava expert to fly around and brew with ppl. That way we will know if we're doing it right!

Ultra Sunrise

Kava Curious
Thank you for reposting this. I read about it before, but had never tried it. I tried this method yesterday and can't believe with that much water the kava was still strong AF. I used 9 tablespoons instead of six because I was scared it would be weak. I usually use way less water, but this worked really well with Papa Kea.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thank you for reposting this. I read about it before, but had never tried it. I tried this method yesterday and can't believe with that much water the kava was still strong AF. I used 9 tablespoons instead of six because I was scared it would be weak. I usually use way less water, but this worked really well with Papa Kea.
To be clear the water to root ratio used in this method is the best for maximum extraction based on their variables - it may not be the strength you want to drink it. I find that when I do this method (as written) I will typically add more water to the final product for drinking.