What's new

Powdered Kava Review Taveuni Fijian Kava

KavaOdyssey

The effects of Taveuni could be felt within 10 minutes, I noticed as soon as it hit my mouth that it was one of the stronger Kava's. This is a pleasant tasting Kava too, typical peppery taste, somewhat spicy, though it smells like every other Kava, but has a slightly darker colour when mixed compared to say, Pentecost Pride. Goes down well, with no digestive issues, quite pleasant tasting with honey and is palatable on it's own too.

It has shaken my mild hangover now, about a hour after the first cup. The reason for using 8 table spoons, as opposed to the average amount, is to make 3 strong cups, and because my body weight / height are larger than average, so I need more to compensate for that. Though reverse tolerance has yet to kick in! It is rather moreish too, I found myself drinking all 3 and 1/2 cups over the space of 3-4 hours.

Mild euphoria started after about half an hour, which increased, then plateaued, to what I can only describe as a glowing feeling in my chest. This Kava can be used in the daytime, in average doses, but not if you need to do anything significantly physical, as it is somewhat sedating, makes your body feel a bit floaty, and you feel as if you are a little drunk, but still totally coordinated. It gives you that feeling of melting into your surroundings, such as the desk chair I am sitting on now...I wasn't aware of sitting in the chair at all, till I noticed I was actually in the chair - if you know what I mean, a effect I usually only get after a long deep meditation session.

The heady affects are subtle, but noticeable. My mind is clearer, able to focus more. Taveuni is also great as anti depressant and for anxiety, my main reason for using Kava. This is a great Kava to use for chilling out in the evening, whether you are listening to music, reading, watching tv/film, gaming etc.
Edit: The second time I used it, the next evening, after two cups I felt pleasantly sleepy and ended up going to bed very early. So unless used in low amounts, this is definitely a evening Kava. I used the remaining root each time, to make a second batch. Same prep method, except used two batches worth. Effects were more on par with Pentecost Pride, less heavy and sedating effects, with some anti anxiety and heady effects, perfect for the day. So you can mix up a batch of this for the evening and then re-use it for the day too.

It's just a shame it is only available in 250g batches from GKE, as that makes it rather expensive for me to use regularly. But..it is worth it, if only occasionally. Thank you GKE for your great customer service and communication.

Additional notes:

Having tried three different Kava's from GKE now, and a couple of years ago, Fiji Waka from Eco Organics on Ebay UK, whom are long gone now, I feel I am in a position to do a review. Have been a 'lurker' for the last few months here - since I could not find a single review for Taveuni on the entire web, well, after nearly a hour of searching anyway, I decided to review this, and as a nice way to introduce myself to the forum.

In comparison, Pentecost Pride, I found to be a somewhat unremarkable Kava. Looking forward to trying Malekula Magic when it is back in stock. Up next for review this weekend is Tanna Marang-Marang. Having read all the reviews, I am hoping it will be the perfect Kava for me, a combination of sedation, heavy effects, euphoria and anti anxiety hopefully.

D

Deleted User01

Nice review @KavaOdyssey. I likes me some kava that gives me "Mild Euphoria". :D But I'm still waiting for a kava that gives me "Wild Euphoria". :LOL:
I hope to hear more from you now that you are an "unlurker". And for all those wondering about GKE, it looks like they are alive and doing well.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Nice review! Some kava is just special! Pentecost Pride is not special, but the definition of a standard kava. Nothing wrong with that though!
Better stock up on that Taveuni because rumor has it, that it might not come back once it's gone...