What's new

Testing a new Kava prep method I created

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
(flash video)
You just need a large ziplock bag, rolling pin and a fine mesh strainer for this. I've also used 2 bags which is smart for safety in case the one containing the kava breaks but in this video I'm just using one bag. I use warm water with the root powder which I let soak for about 10 minutes in a glass then pour it into the bag. You can also add the kava to the bag first then pour in the warm water and let it soak in the bag. I thought of this method when I realized my hands were getting dried out and sore from constant nightly squeezing with the more traditional method. 
After even just 2 minutes you're good to go but probably the more time rolling the better. The end result of this method reveals a nice oily look on the surface of the kava drink. Serious kava drinkers know this means the oil was successfully forced out of the root. With this strainer some of the smaller root pieces get through but probably 95% of the root remains in the strainer. That remaining amount will settle at the bottom of the kava shell or glass so you can just drink until you reach it but I drink this small amount of kava root as well. This prep method might not be for everyone but I will be having a go with this for a bit longer until my hands are all healed up. Bula!

ObiWan

May the Brew be with you
Piper methysticum said:
95% of the root remains in the strainer.
Which type of Kava was it? I guess it has a coarser grind and is not micronized? Otherwise I think it would go through your sieve.

Idgie

Kava Enthusiast
Very interested in this.  I have tendonitis and always think I'm not really getting out all the kavalactones.... that I could be getting.  Do you use normal amounts when doing this, i.e. 2 tbls to one cup water?  If not how much are you working with above?

Thanks!  This looks cool.

D

Deleted User01

That's the same technique I use for making break crumbs from dried toast.  That method will work as long as you buy fine grind Kava like the Tongan Pride I prepared this morning.  But I remember the Koniak having some larger shards that could easily puncture both bags.   That is a very clever technique that should deliver every Kavalactone in the batch.  Nice one.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
This was Koniak from BKH which is high on my list at the moment- great bang for the buck. For those finer grinds I'd imagine this wouldn't work too well unless a more appropriate strainer was used. That strainer was the best I could find at Walmart.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Thanks. I think because the root is pretty moist/soggy is dulls down the edges well enough I seem to get about 5 squeezes out of a bag before it starts getting a bit too ragged not sure if a smaller root grind would be less harsh on bag yet but it probably would. I did have a corner open up slightly on an old bag but I was at the end of the press so I just stopped and strained it out- I think having that extra bag will prevent potential leaks from spilling out on to the counter. I'm also using some cheap Walmart brand bags- I'll spend a little extra change on a big name brand next and see how that goes.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Hope that helps most of the stress seems to be on my triceps. I typically use 4 tbls per roughly 1 and 1/2 cups of water- I'm tempted to really put it to the test with a lot more root but this amount is working pretty good at the moment.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
ObiWan said:
Piper methysticum said:
95% of the root remains in the strainer.
Which type of Kava was it? I guess it has a coarser grind and is not micronized? Otherwise I think it would go through your sieve.

This was Koniak from BKH which is high on my list at the moment- great bang for the buck. For those finer grinds I'd imagine this wouldn't work too well unless a more appropriate strainer was used. That strainer was the best I could find at Walmart.

kl.TidyMinion

Kava Curious
After watching the video, I tried this process out and it works very well! It also helps keep my hands out of very cold kava if I've had it in the fridge before kneading it. I still end up squeezing the strainer but for only a few minutes after and i get a pretty potent kava (Boroguru from BKH). I've found you can also put both hands flat and press the bag back and forth which helps mix. that's definitely not as effective as the rolling pin but it can give your hands a break from the rolling pin every couple minutes.

Well done!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Just made a batch of Koniak using this method. Have you ever had the bag burst on you? I was scared to really roll on it as first.

Anyway I put in 50g (about 6 tbsps) of Koniak, rolled for 10 minutes and poured it in through my strainer bag and wrung that out (instead of using a mesh strainer). Looks nice and frothy, will report back today or tomorrow.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
TidyMinion said:
After watching the video, I tried this process out and it works very well! It also helps keep my hands out of very cold kava if I've had it in the fridge before kneading it. I still end up squeezing the strainer but for only a few minutes after and i get a pretty potent kava (Boroguru from BKH). I've found you can also put both hands flat and press the bag back and forth which helps mix. that's definitely not as effective as the rolling pin but it can give your hands a break from the rolling pin every couple minutes.

Well done!
Thanks! Taking a roller break and using the hands seems like a good idea, might also allow you to work the root longer overall and squeeze out more kavalactones. I've never tried a cold water extraction I need to since lots of people prefer it. 

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
kavadude said:
Just made a batch of Koniak using this method. Have you ever had the bag burst on you? I was scared to really roll on it as first.

Anyway I put in 50g (about 6 tbsps) of Koniak, rolled for 10 minutes and poured it in through my strainer bag and wrung that out (instead of using a mesh strainer). Looks nice and frothy, will report back today or tomorrow.
I'm really careful around the edges just for that reason and I try to assess the situation every few seconds to catch any leaks before they can really get going but typically I just toss a bag out once it starts getting ragged to help keep that from happening. Just had 1 bag open up so far but not much escaped thankfully. I still might start using 2 bags though. Good luck!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Seems like some pretty potent grog to me. I like this method...it's nice not to get my hands all wet and kava-y.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
kavadude said:
Seems like some pretty potent grog to me. I like this method...it's nice not to get my hands all wet and kava-y.
That's definitely an upside- and no strainer material to wash. I've also gotten quite krunk on the more trad. method before and you don't have to worry about the bag leaking plus there's something special about squeezing the root by hand- it's like you have a connection to the kava- that feeling can't be topped.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I find this very interesting. It came at a good time since I can't find any of my normal straining material. I'm going to give this a try soon.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Vekta said:
I find this very interesting. It came at a good time since I can't find any of my normal straining material. I'm going to give this a try soon.
Good luck with it Vekta! The last one I made I let the root soak for over 2 hours before I started on it and it seemed more potent so I'm going to let it soak longer now before pressing.

kl.TidyMinion

Kava Curious
I'm letting a new batch of Boroguru soak for a while this afternoon and am going to use the bag and roller method again after getting back from work. I'm thinking about giving it one strain so all of the solids are in the straining bag then tie it closed and put it back in the ziplock bag with the liquid for more rolling. My thinking on this is it keeps the root somewhat together and may create more friction between the root pieces, hopefully squeezing out more of the good stuff. Not sure if it'll work but i'll find out later...

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
TidyMinion said:
I'm letting a new batch of Boroguru soak for a while this afternoon and am going to use the bag and roller method again after getting back from work. I'm thinking about giving it one strain so all of the solids are in the straining bag then tie it closed and put it back in the ziplock bag with the liquid for more rolling. My thinking on this is it keeps the root somewhat together and may create more friction between the root pieces, hopefully squeezing out more of the good stuff. Not sure if it'll work but i'll find out later...
Sounds like a good idea TM that will no doubt be a very potent shell of Boroguru. I was looking for a way to get the water completely out of the soggy root that's left sitting in the metal strainer. I can press most of it out with a spoon but it doesn't get all of it. That technique should do the trick- ziplock bag that soggy root while it's still in the strainer bag then roll press that root to get the rest of the water/kava out.