What's new

The alcohol controversy

D

Deleted User01

Mixing Kava and alcohol may be dangerous for some and it may not for others. My bottom line, I do kava so I can cut down on the drinking so I have no motivation to drink alcohol on my Kava days and I never recommend it. With Kava only, I feel really good the next and I sleep better. Though I fall asleep on the couch when I drink alcohol, I have "fitful" sleep during the night. IN fact, when I lay down on the couch, I may wake up 2 hours later and I have to rewind my audio book. That never happens with Kava.

Delicate Drunk

Kava Curious
Curiously it seems like kava can have neuro-protective effects on my brain. When I follow a session of drinking beer with some kava I often awaken the next day with a sense of well-being rather than just a normal hangover. Usually though I will have had a little less beer than normal, because I stopped drinking beer to start drinking the kava. In any case, I am always a little surprised at this reaction because there is so much hype about not mixing the two, and I would expect to have a much worse hangover from doing so.

Kravatomill

Kava Curious
Yeah, mixing the two has never been something I'd do (although it has happened), this was all about getting adverse effects from alcohol 24h after drinking Kava.
It seems as though it all depends on kava and alcohol levels though, quite expected.
If I have had a lot of Kava for many days then I need up to 40h before I can drink alcohol it seems. But then again I usually don't drink 2-3 beers but rather 10 or so or a bottle of rum when I go out to drink.

however, as someone said above, when I am not on a Kava binge I can easily have a few shells and then go out for a beer or two without any side-effects. So I guess it comes down to how much have I have built up in my system compared to how much alcohol I'm willing to indulge in.
it's also worthy to mention that I only drink micronized.

Oh well, I'll stick to the shells as much as possible.

Kravatomill

Kava Curious
Ok, so one more update, this will probably be the last.
I am quite a heavy drinker, no matter I want to aknowledge that or not, but I use to have 3-4 pretty drunk nights a week, usually 3.
That was fine when I was in my 20's, but it doesn't really work the same anymore.
But yeah, kava is.... weird.... Or perhaps alcohol? I don't know, but the summary is:

After I had that extremely hardcore headache Kava started to act way faster on me, and in way less amounts, why I don't know, but after 1,5 tbs micronized I really don't want to drink more cause it feels like I might over do it, although I'm not satisfied.

So, I after I had a weird good day once where I didn't lose my mind nor did I write anything too embarrassing or stuff I wouldn't remember. Well that doesn't make sense cause now I drink more than before, but before I started to get terrible black outs.

Honestly, I had 8 glass of rum and coke, 2 beers and 2 shots of terrible terrible 80 proof Thai moonshinish stuff... Usually I should be in a complete blackout, but I feel pretty ok, and I'm quite sure I'll remember all this.

So, even though I had 3 strong cups of Kava before today I'm not trying to advertise people to mix kava and alcohol. But I find it interesting how I go from super red for 2 weeks to remembering more than before even while drunk on alcohol, trust me, And scientifically it's even more interesting since kavalactones are supposed to interact with how we distribute our conscious mind.

So, against all your good wishes I'll keep on doing this and see where it's heading. I find no joy in mixing the two (actually I find no joy in leaving my bed while on Kava..), But I'll check it out for u guys.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I'm glad you're comfortable sharing intimate aspects of your life here with us. Especially with us alkies who can relate how difficult drinking can be. I personally share more here than with my doctor.

Keep working at it, I'm root'n for you. :)

D

Deleted User01

And when Headgie says he's root'n, that means he's pounding a few shells in your honor and to your health. Cheers! :D

Kravatomill

Kava Curious
Haha, well, dangerous or not I'm starting to become too old for these midweek parties... Hopefully I'll be able to stop drinking more than once or twice a month soon thanks to Kava. It's just sad that alcohol is more or less needed when going out to meet friends. I mean, I just can't enjoy hangout in a bar with friends at night unless I drink as well, and having some Kava before won't make me more social with drunk people, just more annoyed.
I really wish someone would open a Kava bar here..

Jerome

Kava Lover
Haha, well, dangerous or not I'm starting to become too old for these midweek parties... Hopefully I'll be able to stop drinking more than once or twice a month soon thanks to Kava. It's just sad that alcohol is more or less needed when going out to meet friends. I mean, I just can't enjoy hangout in a bar with friends at night unless I drink as well, and having some Kava before won't make me more social with drunk people, just more annoyed.
I really wish someone would open a Kava bar here..
Agreed. I wish there were more kava bars. More kava acceptance. More kava growers.

But alcohol and kava is not deadly. I've mixed quite a bit of the two tonight with no ill effects

I've done so on and off for many years.

That being said. I believe kava is the better choice. Less side effects, healthier, you're not going to wind up fighting your neighbor.. kava is better. Just not as readily available.

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
I don't drink anymore and kava is a big part of that happening.When I describe kava to someone who has never tried it I tell them it's like the good part of getting drunk you feel sociable well being harmonious warm euphoric without the loss of judgement/memory/brain cells/friends and family and life caused by alcohol . Of course I am close to 60 and bars have little appeal to me now but I can fully understand the desire for that atmosphere in younger folks. Now a kava bar would be a dream come true for me as I haven't had that opportunity yet. One thing I would try now is bringing some instant kava and stir it into a nonalcoholic beverage at the bar with your friends either that or the candies I have yet to try but read many good reviews here . So good in fact I have a box on the way! Oh and the other part of my kava description, it tastes like sticks and mud drank from an old pepper container.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...One thing I would try now is bringing some instant kava and stir it into a nonalcoholic beverage at the bar with your friends ...
I do this all the time at bars and restaurants with instant or micronized mixed with iced tea. I've yet to find a place that doesn't sell iced tea. They would give you free water too, but I feel cheap doing that, plus usually the water is unfiltered tap water.

Vladimir Lemon

Kava Curious
Strangely enough I can have a few shells of Kava and then a bottle of wine or several beers and have no issues. Maybe it depends on your body chemistry?