What's new

Powdered Kava Review The Kava Society - Borogoru

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
cpReview
{"Grade":0,"Potency":0,"Mind":0,"Body":0,"Anxiety":0,"Sedative":0,"Taste":"0","Preparation":"","Duration":"","SideEffects":"","Headline":""}
ksnzlogo.png

B O R O G O R U
(A classic sedating Borogoru, but distinctly clean and highly drinkable)

Alright, this is another great and thoroughly processed kava from The Kava Society NZ. Their modus operandi has been to source properly matured cultivars directly from farmers in Vanuatu and have them plucked, meticulously processed and promptly shipped to NZ. The difference in this process is really evident in the resulting beverage on many levels. They've previously offered a purely heady cultivar, Kelai, a heady leaning toward balanced cultivar, Palarasul and a fairly balanced blend of strains called 'Pacific Elixir'. Now we have the Borogoru, which helps round out their offerings by being their first full blown heavy/balanced kava to be available.

As I open the bag, the first thing I notice upon smelling it, is that distinct Vanuatu style peppery/herbal scent that I love. It also has a hint of sweetness and cream to it, with a touch lightly toasted malt. The flavor is a bit zippy and peppery at first, but due to the processing/removal of the bark, it dissipates quickly and avoids the longer lasting stomach turning bitterness that you'd normally get from the root bark. The processing also creates a very appealing beverage color, which is a very light creamy beige hue rather than a dark dirty brown.

The effects are very much an old school Borogoru style kava, which is to say, on the heavier side. It's very deeply soothing and sedating, but without necessarily being a super inebriating krunky leg wobbler. If you allow yourself to listen to the kava, rather than get distracted by TV or activities, you can very clearly feel it bringing you into a meditative state. Close your eyes and breath and you can feel yourself simply enjoying the peaceful calm it has created inside your consciousness. I personally find it better as a solitary inward kava or a wonderful natural and very effective remedy for anxiety/over thinking/insomnia..it excels at these things. I don't find it to be very social or silly, but I don't think that's the purpose of these kinds of kava. I think it could be fun to mix this with a euphoric heady root, but I've yet to try this combo.

As someone who prefers balanced and heavy cultivars most of the time and has a lot of experience with them, I noticed this root has a trick up it's sleeve that is very uncommon for kava on this side of the spectrum. It somehow manages to be light and clean, easy on the stomach and easy to chug while still clearly being a heavier sedating DHK/DHM style root. Usually heavier kavas have the side effect of being much less palatable, harder to chug, more nauseating and gut twisting...but this one, probably due to the processing, is as light and easy on me as a Tongan lawena...while simultaneously being a deep heavy kava. This is a very distinct positive aspect to me and perhaps the most significant aspect of this root, in my opinion.

::KavaChug::
::tanoafull::

kavalactones.png

(This kava is so freshly harvested and ground, that
there appears to be a lot of extra kavalactones floating
around in it. However they are incredibly sticky and will get
stuck to the inside of your bowl and on your strainer bag.
Don't let them all go to waste though, as they are pure potent
kavalactones. I suggest rubbing a little oil onto the bowl and trying
to scrape them off with a spoon.)
::kavaleaf::

Last edited:

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Nice review. This is the most pleasant and effective heavy kava I've had in quite a while. My thoughts at first were to mix in some quality heady cultivar like Kelai but I haven't done it yet since I'd rather not throw off the (in the current market) unique effect profile.

AaronCobra

Kava Curious
Cool, that sounds really good. I have some on the way, looking forward to trying it. Been drinking Pacific Elixir for a while and really love it. Super consistent grog, heady and a little heavy with waves of euphoria.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
In terms of how heavy this is, what would you guys compare it to? Is it close to KWK Boronguru or the old GHK Boroguru? I've been a big fan of both of those but I can't handle the heaviness of some kavas. Squanch and Hiwa I can also handle fine but I get into dicey territory when I drink Kava Time or Bula Kava House heavies (I.e. either of those two vendors melo melo.)

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It’s a bit more like old GHK Borogoru, I’ve never found KWK Borongoru to be heavy. It’s pretty similar to KT or BKH heavies (which is something I prefer actually), but it’s processed like Nambawan/5 Star which makes it quite a bit easier to drink. If you wanna try something pretty similar but one step easier and a little more balanced, try Kava Society Melo Melo.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
It’s a bit more like old GHK Borogoru, I’ve never found KWK Borongoru to be heavy. It’s pretty similar to KT or BKH heavies (which is something I prefer actually), but it’s processed like Nambawan/5 Star which makes it quite a bit easier to drink. If you wanna try something pretty similar but one step easier and a little more balanced, try Kava Society Melo Melo.
What are some of the heavys from BKH? I cant decide if i like heady or heavy more. I should just get two of everything, that would make things easier

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Nice review. This is the most pleasant and effective heavy kava I've had in quite a while. My thoughts at first were to mix in some quality heady cultivar like Kelai but I haven't done it yet since I'd rather not throw off the (in the current market) unique effect profile.
First- big thanks guys/girls for all your contributions here. Being so new to Kava myself, every single post is interesting and educational.

And you are all such a mature bunch as well. I feel that Kava attracts generally straight, honest humble people. (So NOT for everyone lol!)

Anyway, I'm very excited to try this Borogoru from NZ Society. Im so glad I spontaneously ordered a KG this week just before they ran out.

@SelfBiasResistor one point I was inspired to make here- I have used their Kelai several times. I like it. Such fast cerebral effects. Very antidepressant, uplifting and sociable.

But no anxiety promotion. And nicely balanced to a point as well.

But...I certainly will be open to mixing the Kelai and Borogoru. Although I also am blessed to have some lovely Palarusul coming too. I think that will be a better pairing with the Borogoru.

I found the Palarusul to be the least debilitating, most heady. But I'm still rew and learning my feet with Kava, at a tough time personally.

But I'm a long-time user of organic sungrown cannabis, and have fully experienced the merits of synergy between different strains combined.

It can literally be like a whole new thing, but you don't feel anything is missed from either strain. Just tempered, to compliment. For example, I have often mixed 70% sativa, with 30% indica.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
What are some of the heavys from BKH? I cant decide if i like heady or heavy more. I should just get two of everything, that would make things easier
Yes I honestly think variety is necessary. Mix and match will have benefits and give better longevity to the effects for purpose sake, and more satisfaction all round.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I have this one also currently. Another fast cerebral effect I find, but not rushy like Kelai or Palarusul. But great for anxiety, and it seems accurate about the slightly more prolonged effect, very relaxing but mellow not knock out.

I am mixing it with some GHK Moi I just acquired- very heady indeed. Pairs well with Melo Melo.

I will be interested to see how much heavier and more sedating the Borogoru is.

Also I have a very extreme anxiety disorder and my feeling is that's the Borogoru kava may help slightly more with this when mixed in with the more heady strains.

I just try to avoid too much sedation- long term sleep dep and chronic fatigue.

But a balance may be spot on. I hope to report back.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Also I have a very extreme anxiety disorder and my feeling is that's the Borogoru kava may help slightly more with this when mixed in with the more heady strains.

I just try to avoid too much sedation- long term sleep dep and chronic fatigue.

But a balance may be spot on. I hope to report back.
Mixing this borogoru with a headier variety will probably work out nicely. I like it a lot the way it is though. I also like kelai but don't want to mix what I got of that one either until the supply lines return to normal. Most of the time my mixing isn't to improve something I already like but to find use for whatever else I try that's disappointing or doesn't meet my needs. I drink the borogoru for anxiety and sleep and it works well for both while not being excessively sedating. I can drink it while watching movies, relaxing outside or playing video games without losing all interest like I do with some other heavy products I've had. It also pairs very well with various forms of cannabis... borogoru + indica = ::couch:::sleep:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I was hesitant about this one because I was worried it might be too heavy for me. A lot of strains like ambae, nangol noble, and most melo melos are too heavy for me (among other occasional batches of certain types) but I was pleasantly surprised with my results. The kava is indeed heavy, but the body load is moderate as far as heavy types go. Body load is comparable to something like hiwa. I think the key factor is that kava society's associated island harvesters go the extra mile to peel the roots. Truly exceptional quality!

Thanks for the review shakas, it helped me get an idea of what to expect and the praise inspired me to consider buying in the first place. I will post my own full analysis soon.

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
I could not sleep this morning, and it's Saturday so I don't have to get up at any time. I have mixed 1 level tablespoon of borogoru and 1 level tablespoon of kelai and can confirm it is a great mix. Great "kavaphoria' accompanied with a nice comfortable feeling in the body from the Borogoru. Wouldn't use this to fall asleep again like I do with plain borogoru, but it is a very pleasant mix of kava and I would do it again probably early evening. Maybe it is also worth mentioning that I have had nothing short of a mystical experience when I woke up in the middle of the night and drank borogoru. It isn't often that I wake up and can't fall back to sleep, but when I do I no longer get anxiety about it. Now I see it as an opportunity to relax into that tranquil kava bliss at a time when there are truly no distractions. Just me and the kava. Anyways I'm rambling on as I tend to do when I get a good kava buzz going but I will just say again that I can definitely endorse this combination. Bula!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Kapmcrunk I'm not sure if I'm just overlooking it, but I can't find the edit button on my review(s). I'd like to add my shell ratings now that they're available for KavaSociety.
Still having some issues with shells and reviews. You definitely didn't miss anything. I'll let you know once we get that ironed out. It's a work in progress, but it is actually in progress.