What's new

The TSA and flying with micro kava

kavasam

Kava Curious
Has anyone had issues doing that? I may be flying soon and absolutely must have my micro kava with me. I guess the safest way is put it in checked luggage but has anyone had experience with this and can advise me?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Has anyone had issues doing that? I may be flying soon and absolutely must have my micro kava with me. I guess the safest way is put it in checked luggage but has anyone had experience with this and can advise me?
"For travelers flying to the U.S., any powdered substances — like makeup, protein shake mix, spices, baby powder — will need to be packed in containers less than 12 ounces (350 mL), or about the size of a can of soda. Larger amounts must be packed in checked bags only."

https://www.travelandleisure.com/ai...ers flying to the,packed in checked bags only.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Oh, and if we're talking about legality, kava is as legal as any of those other referenced powders.

kavasam

Kava Curious
So my two 1/2 lbs of micro in the manufacturers package will travel just fine in a checked bag? I'm a bit paranoid, has anyone here actually done this?

Zaphod

Kava Lover
So my two 1/2 lbs of micro in the manufacturers package will travel just fine in a checked bag? I'm a bit paranoid, has anyone here actually done this?
Probably. Are they still closed and sealed or open? If open remove as much air as possible from the bag before sealing back up. As long as there is some room for the sealed bag to expand due to pressure changes you should be okay. I would throw it in another sealed ziploc just in case. Micro covered clothes will be no fun for anyone.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yep! TSA doesn't care about what it is, as long as it fits in their guidelines and isn't dangerous. You're good.

I've spoken with people who traveled outside the country w/ kava in checked baggage and nobody batted an eye.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have always just carried it in my carry-on luggage. Once or twice I have been asked about it by TSA. It does draw a bit of attention since they are usually foil lined bags so the they do light up on the monitors. Each time they asked what it was (one lady asked if it was protein powder) I just said it was kava tea. They just nodded and sent me on my way. Then again I am the very definition of late '40s white american dad...so I draw very little attention from TSA or anyone else for that matter:).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Yes, I've traveled both within the US and abroad, I bring it on my carry on so that I can toss and wash on the plane. If I am bringing more than a pound, I check it in with the other luggage.

kavasam

Kava Curious
I would throw it in another sealed ziploc just in case. Micro covered clothes will be no fun for anyone.
LOL! I didn't think about pressure changes. Good point.

I like the checked baggage thought......unless they're incompetent and lose it. I'd rather lose my clothes than my micro. Hmm. Maybe carry on IS better. I'll not be making up a brew on the plane though, that happens before boarding. No point in getting people suspicious. Even though it's quite legal, they might ask annoying questions, delay you, etc. I'm not into that. If it was a long flight I might have to but if I do go it will be a shortish one.

As a side note, does anyone know what the current TSA rule is on liquids? Could I bottle some up and take it on the plane like in a sports drink bottle?

Thanks all for your help.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
LOL! I didn't think about pressure changes. Good point.

I like the checked baggage thought......unless they're incompetent and lose it. I'd rather lose my clothes than my micro. Hmm. Maybe carry on IS better. I'll not be making up a brew on the plane though, that happens before boarding. No point in getting people suspicious. Even though it's quite legal, they might ask annoying questions, delay you, etc. I'm not into that. If it was a long flight I might have to but if I do go it will be a shortish one.

As a side note, does anyone know what the current TSA rule is on liquids? Could I bottle some up and take it on the plane like in a sports drink bottle?

Thanks all for your help.
Shaking up a drink would be one of the least crazy things I have seen on an airplane. Even less so if you are just mixing micro in some water. I have found that if you just do it with confidence (i.e. don't try and hide it) most people will not bother you in the least. On the rare occasion that I have been asked I usually size up the situation - do I want to spend the next 15 minutes explaining what kava is or do I want to just say it is a cold tea drink. Calling it cold tea usually gets a nod and they go on with their day.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
No point in getting people suspicious. Even though it's quite legal, they might ask annoying questions, delay you, etc. I'm not into that. If it was a long flight I might have to but if I do go it will be a shortish one.
I tell curious people it's a protein shake, easy enough and not at all hard to believe it makes you pucker.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Flying out of Vegas in August my carry-on got flagged by TSA because of the medium grind in there. The agent assigned to give me hell was a beautiful young woman whose family was from Tonga. She laughed and said I was the coolest passenger she’d had to deal with in a long time.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Traveled many times to UK with micro and medium grind. Nobody asked me anything about it! Either in US or UK (but then again whenever I arrive there's never anyone around in the customs area!) I usually take KWK micro in the plastic containers rather than the foil bags but I've used both and again no problem with either. Now I wish there was a way I could get the a bottle of KWK fresh green kava through TSA!

Third trip this year coming up. My 92 year old mom died at the weekend,:cry: so no doubt kava might be put on hold for a little while because everyone will be drinking alcohol for a few days. Although with the stress and anxiety, I may even refuse the alcohol. Kava works much better.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
My 92 year old mom died at the weekend,:cry: so no doubt kava might be put on hold for a little while because everyone will be drinking alcohol for a few days. Although with the stress and anxiety, I may even refuse the alcohol. Kava works much better.
I am really sorry to here this, I unfortunately can relate. Remember to look after yourself as well. I found that being with family and close friends has really eased the pain.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
Thanks for your kind thoughts everyone. The worst part right now is that it takes for ever for cremation in the U.K. we have to wait until October 25! Just when you begin to heal it starts all over again.