What's new

Time to destroy another kava myth

Palmetto

Thank God!
I've heard it claimed time and time again, that kneading kava forces oily substances (kavalactones) into water, with the implication that oily substances are more soluble in water after the use of force. That's not a very sound theory, according to physical and chemical principles. While it is true that slightly soluble substances can be dissolved more with agitation (some force), or better yet into suspension with agitation, the actual mechanisms going on to introduce more kavalactones into water are the following (using purely physical and chemical principles):

1. The starch in kava has some affinity for oily substances. Kneading helps to dissolve more starch in the water, which actually makes the water less polar by occupying many of the hydrogen(/oxygen) bonds that would otherwise hold the water together and push away nonpolar molecules.

2. Kneading helps form suspensions of starch + kavalactones, as well as keeping those suspended particles suspended longer through agitation.

3. Kneading helps to expose more of the powder particle surface to water during hydrating and breaking apart the powder particles. Increased wetted surface area increases the kinetics of solute transfer from the powder particles to water.

4. Kneading may potentially rupture the cell walls of intact cells, thus making it easier for the cells to release their contents.

So while my explanation might not sound all that different than what some readers understood all along, it might help to clarify the actual mechanisms for others.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
This is an excellent post, thank you!

Would this be a valid translation into layman's terms ?

When one kneads and strains kava, some of the soft root material gets dissolved in the water making it more likely for the water to extract kavalactones from the powder, which is also a bit easier as the root particles get broken up in the process of kneading. Additionally, some bits of the root make it through the strainer together with the kavalactones (effectively this is the same as in the case of micronised kava).

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
There are many ways to skin a cat. But yes, traditional prep with vigorous kneading is always going to be the best way to prepare Kava.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Palmetto thanks for that, interesting. Is there any way to tell how much difference there is between kneading, blending and aluballing? How do the different methods compare?

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
Cool post @Palmetto. I recently tried my dad's aluball when I went home for Thanksgiving, and I must say I was surprised at how well it worked. I first tried packing the ball from both halves as tight as possible, but not all the powder in the ball actually got wet. Then my dad showed me how to properly pack it to maximize the powders contact with the water. It was quite humbling to have my dad, whom I first introduced kava to years ago, give me a lesson on prep. Live and learn though!

I personally knead it out with the kavafied hoop. I try to feel the difference between the oily, just dunked bag, and the fully exhausted bag. I conceptualize getting all of the available surface area in the powder to come in contact with the water, and the particles to rub against one another. I guess the difference in feel from pre and post knead is that the exhausted kava strainer is missing much of the softer, starchier root, leaving the woody root.

Someone braver than me should try adding corn starch into the strainer to see if that would drive out more kavalactones.

Palmetto

Thank God!
@Señor Chuggs , corn starch might not be as efficient of a carrier for kavalactones as lecithin. Half and half (milk and cream) possesses colloidal fat particles surrounded by hydrophilic molecules that are very good at emulsifying barely polar molecules.

Blenders are good, because they rapidly agitate the powder to fully hydrate it, and to some degree weaken larger particles. What I really notice with larger chunks in medium grind is that you can chew them after the first wash and notice them kavalactones that didn't reach the edges of the chunk to get released.

Last edited:

Palmetto

Thank God!
@Edward my experience is that blending has the best potential for releasing kavalactones. Anecdotal evidence, but it is logical as well. When I used to spend countless hours in the lab creating emulsions and liposomal formultions, I used a magnetic stirrer to greatly speed up the process, much like a blender works, except that a blender can break up large chunks. My formulations didn't contain chunks.

Palmetto

Thank God!
The CTAHR method specifically tests chips of kava, not powder, but most of the data is still relevant. They do not use an emulsifier, such as milk, lecithin, or coconut milk. Because the kavalactones are sparingly soluble or remain temporarily suspended in water, an emulsifier greatly aids in keeping the oily substances "mixed" in the water, much like vinegar helps suspend oil in salad dressing. Acetic acid in vinegar is an emulsifier. But also remember, if only 15% of the kavalactones come into the water at warm temps (at best), then second and third washes should be almost as strong as first washes, but experience shows that this is not quite as the math would suggest.

1st wash = 15% KLs
2nd wash = 15% * (0.85) = 12.7% KLs
3rd wash = 15% * (0.85) * (0.85) = 10.8%

Part of this is because many of the particles pass through the filter and are swallowed whole, similar to micronized powder.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Because the kavalactones are sparingly soluble or remain temporarily suspended in water, an emulsifier greatly aids in keeping the oily substances "mixed" in the water, much like vinegar helps suspend oil in salad dressing. .
Ok, but as long as you keep stirring your kava and make sure you drink the whole mixture, this shouldn't really matter that much, should it?
In your opinion, does adding oil actually significantly increase the effectiveness of traditional preparation?

Palmetto

Thank God!
Toss and wash and micronized are similar in the sense that nearly all the material is fully digested and absorbed into the system presumably. Traditional prep leaves most of the kavalactones in the pulp in medium grind. Adding oil would aid in the extraction of kavalactones from the pulp, and possibly across a short distance of cell wall. The issue would be whether you are drinking oil, or simply leaving it coating the container/strainer/glass. The oil wouldn't want to go into water either, without some aid. It is better to use an amphipathic molecule (both polar and nonpolar ends of the same molecule). Soapy things like lecithin; acetic acid, milk cream are good vehicles to carry more KLs in water.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@Edward my experience is that blending has the best potential for releasing kavalactones. Anecdotal evidence, but it is logical as well. When I used to spend countless hours in the lab creating emulsions and liposomal formultions, I used a magnetic stirrer to greatly speed up the process, much like a blender works, except that a blender can break up large chunks. My formulations didn't contain chunks.
Ok, but as long as you keep stirring your kava and make sure you drink the whole mixture, this shouldn't really matter that much, should it?
In your opinion, does adding oil actually significantly increase the effectiveness of traditional preparation?
I can honestly say I've never done trad prep only ever blender, aluball or micro/instant but I find the blender to be better than the others. Millk definitely seems to make it stronger but hot water just makes it thick and nasty.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Given this explanation, I wonder what makes an Aluball work? I know from experience that traditional prep makes for stronger kava but the Aluball isn't too bad.

Blender: Seems to make the Kava more like micronized for me and I end up with more dry skin.

Traditional prep or Aluball are my go to methods

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Given this explanation, I wonder what makes an Aluball work? I know from experience that traditional prep makes for stronger kava but the Aluball isn't too bad.

Blender: Seems to make the Kava more like micronized for me and I end up with more dry skin.

Traditional prep or Aluball are my go to methods
If you add a second aluball, it makes a stronger brew, the benefit of traditional prep to me is that I can add as much powder as I want, which is usually more then even 2 aluballs.