What's new

Tips on managing root induced anxiety

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I love kava but honestly there’s one thing I loath about it. I feel anxious 30-45 minutes after drinking some and it has ruined the experience before. I get anxious for no reason or sometimes irritable. Does anyone know any tips to minimize this?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I love kava but honestly there’s one thing I loath about it. I feel anxious 30-45 minutes after drinking some and it has ruined the experience before. I get anxious for no reason or sometimes irritable. Does anyone know any tips to minimize this?
Try to enjoy kava in a quiet place, by yourself, listen to some relaxing music, if you are the creative type, do something there. Find activities that make you feel happy. It could also be the strain not agreeing with your Biology, maybe try a different one.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Do you drink anything with caffeine? Caffeine can make kava feel more anxious for some.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I have an energy drink in the morning. For me actually I’ve noticed that caffeine calms my kava jitters, despite the fact that caffeine by itself can be overwhelming but with kava the two have a nice synergy. Kava by itself is more likely to cause me jitters. It’s strange.

I’m experimenting with b6. This reduces anxiety and nausea. The first night I tried it I had zero anxiety but that was only once. I need to try it again a couple more times

I was having the same problem and found two things that helped a lot. #1 is to avoid kavas with Kavain as the primary kavalactone. Any kava with a 4 as the first number in the chemotype tends to be for me at least anxiety-causing. #2 is to strain the macas our really well or it can cause some serious issues with anxiety. This is my .2$ as a Kava-newb but I’ve found it worked for me and it’s helped my kava experience alot

Zaphod

Kava Lover
L-theanine is great if you get a kava that give you that "wired" feel. I use it occasionally with coffee as well but added to a kava session works as well.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
CBD works wonders. Or herbal tea. Anything that warms the body (in the herbal sense) helps me. Herbal chai tea or ginseng roots. Find a kava that jives with your anxiety better and stock up. I bet L-theanine would work well too.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I found that vitamin b6 works. I also realize that anxiety really is related to a lot of the nausea.

Today I took some activated charcoal and the kava has barely worked. I didn’t kava was something that could get absorbed like that

babesugarbunny

Kava Enthusiast
Have you tried the amino acid l-theanine? It's what gives the calming part of green tea. A lot of people use it to calm anxiety, take away the jittery part of caffeine, relax before sleep or calm down a bad substance experience. I use it for helping sleep but I also sometimes take it in the morning with my coffee/tea if I feel anxious. Because it's an isolated amino acid it can be bought anywhere and I have not yet been able to find any adverse effects of using it when I've been reading about it.

I do like the advices given about how to make a good set and setting, but this is what came to my mind when reading your post.