What's new

To much of a good thing (Shaman Kava)

kl.trevorlay

Kava Curious
Well, Last night I decided that since last time with 10g of Shaman was not enough I Would go ahead and bump it up to 20g. I took the 1st two cups at 12:00am and 12:30am and was just watching some T.V. I didn't notice much of an effect so I made two more cups and decided I would get in the bath to help with relaxation. Well after the 3rd cup in the hot bath I started to feel pretty heavy, a little tired. and a tiny bit nauseous. Disregarding my body telling me that, that was probably enough Kava for the night I went ahead and drank the 4th cup 10-15 minutes later. After getting out of the bath I was very out of it, just real heavy and tired. the Nausea was getting a tad bit worse and I thought I may have to go to the restroom and puke. but after pacing back and forth for a few minutes and some deep breaths I laid in bed with my headphones on and some soothing music. and planned to go to sleep. Well, the whole Night I was some where between sleep and wakefulness I honestly don't know how much sleep I got, I do know I woke up very often , If.. In fact I fall asleep. 

Total Shaman Kava: 4 cups (32 oz) / 20g of the Shaman Powder

On the plus side, at least I now know to listen to my body and have a better idea of the scope of my Kava intake.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Did you drink anything else earlier in the evening that had caffeine in it? I've definitely had Kava interfere with sleep before, but normally when combined with coffee or soda that I drank in the early evening.

Yeah I had almost the same effect with Chief's jungle. Very bad. I've heard that the far eastern varieties like the PNG ones (Chief's, Solomon) may have Piper wichmanii, a wild cultivar with a very different kavalactone profile.

Don't quote me on that, I could be way wrong. All I know is, it's a very different effect. I love stone and varieties with higher kavain content, more of a 'brain' than a 'body' effect.

kl.r3mote

Kava Curious
if you, or anyone who happens to be reading this, ever feels that way again, take the following steps:
cause, what you want to do is dilute the kava in your body.

drink water. cold distilled water is optimal but any water will do. not a soft drink, not fruit juice. no, just undiluted water.
calm your breathing, and wiggle your toes while you are taking deep breaths at regular intervals. (this is what nasa astronauts did to combat nauseousness in zero G - it works to combat all nausea).
if it's legal in your locale, partake a small amount of cannabis. not enough to get stoned but enough to get buzzed.  you don't want to potentiate the kava, so, only a small amount to combat the nausea.
and if you can at this point, eat something light like pretzels, rice cakes, noodles, pita bread and hummus, grilled chicken without frills, something like that. just avoid your obvious greasy, fried, and/or rich foods (you should be doing that anyways ;)
go outside and get fresh air.

all of these steps are fairly necessary. I've experienced kava nausea many times. especially with 85% kavalactone paste (not kona kavas, another vendor). that stuff is like a shot of kava whiskey!