What's new

Tongan Pride

I tried Tongan Pride from Rex for the first time.

1. Tasted like crap. Like paint stripper. Smells and tastes like what I imagine melted plastic does. Really RANK. I can't begin to explain how revolting it tastes.

2. Gives about 2 hours of mild body buzz ( not up, more of what you feel like in the first 15 mins of a beer but without the enjoyment. You nearly gag taking it down.. URGH)

3. Gives nausea horribly.

I don't know how anyone drinks this crap it really tastes FOUL

And no doubt based on how the body reacts when you drink with naseau its obviously not good for you.

I tried Tongan Pride from Rex for the first time.

1. Tasted like crap. Like paint stripper. Smells and tastes like what I imagine melted plastic does. Really RANK. I can't begin to explain how revolting it tastes.

2. Gives about 2 hours of mild body buzz ( not up, more of what you feel like in the first 15 mins of a beer but without the enjoyment. You nearly gag taking it down.. URGH)

3. Gives nausea horribly.

I don't know how anyone drinks this crap it really tastes FOUL

And no doubt based on how the body reacts when you drink with naseau its obviously not good for you.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
You get what you pay for? I'm OK with it. Tongan cultivar really is my favorite, so I must advise giving another company one more chance on Tongan. My favorite so far has been Nakamal@Home, but they don't carry it anymore.

I don't think its so much Tongan Pride or even Kava from Rex. As he has an incredible reputation in the kava community
I think it's Kava in general. To me, it doesn't have a good taste
It feels like I am chugging down paint stripper. I mean lets face it, It doesnt taste like a nice coconut drink, pop, beer, milk or anything remotely nice.
It just feels like your forcing down something that is not tasty
If it tasted good, had no nausea it would be awesome. But it seems based on reports of a lot of people that those 2 factors ruin it.

kl.grudge

Kava Curious
greatbeyond said:
If it tasted good, had no nausea it would be awesome. But it seems based on reports of a lot of people that those 2 factors ruin it.
First make sure you are filtering your Kava, too much kava grounds makes me sick if I consume a lot. Finally the kava flavor map is all over the place. Try different kavas, you may find ones you like a lot better. Finally flavor your kava if the taste is a huge issue. Try a little sweetener, cinnamon and cut it with milk - or - and this is my never fail 'kiddie kava' (not for kids but finicky adults) recipe: 2 to 1 Nestlé Quick drink mix to kava, plus water or milk in their normal ratios. With a fairly mild tasting kava you just get a little bitterness at the end of your chocolate milk.

Jeez...man up and just drink it, it' not like you have to drink a whole gallon of it. Try drinking a mix of dried san pedro cacti and water and then come back to me....in comparison, kava tastes like sweet nectar of jesus.

kl.CarolinaBC

Kava Enthusiast
It is like vodka-if you say you like the taste it is only because your brain has already formed a connection between that taste and the effect.

kl.shinobi7

Kava Curious
It's an acquired taste.Your tatse buds get used to it.Just do what I do,after every shell/shot of kava take a bite out of some sliced apples or lemon.I find this helps.Just think of it as tequila.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I guess everyone has a kava they don't like.  For me, it's Fijian.  Elizabeth II loves it, though, as the photo below attests to.

kl.snwrist

Kava Curious
Call me strange, but kava actually has a pretty decent flavor to me. I make it with half water, half coconut milk and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top.
And Tongan Pride is great. The first kava I broke through on, after going through a half pound of N @ H's Stone which didn't do much for me. Will give it another try at some point now that I've beat the reverse tolerance.

kl.Kokpa

TP is the real deal! Earlier today I was pretty down on myself, worrying about the typical things. I have realized that when I get in this state that I need to turn to my Tongan Pride (it used to be a bottle of wine). Fast forward a few hours later and I am emailing friends, spending quality time with the kids and wife. No worries. This stuff is highly recommended.

I have only been drinking kava for about eight months so I have not yet been able to sample a huge number of varieties.  Tongan Pride from Kava by Rex is, so far, my absolute favorite with Fu'u from Bula Kava House a relatively close favorite.  I do have some sleeping problems and so now and then a Kava higher in those kavalactones that effect the body are somewhat desirable but my primary reason for drinking the *amazing* stuff is for the anti anxiety properties.  Those Kavas which have a high kavain content are my favorites.  I'm usually tired all the time despite my insane caffeine intake and so body-heavy kavas are not as appealing.  Taste:  most of the "stronger" kavas I have sampled taste very grassy to me... as if one had soaked week old grass clippings and a handful of dirt in turpentine... (WOW, Cheif's Jungle) this is not an especially pleasant combination of flavors for me. ^.^  TP and Fu'u, on the other hand, taste to me very light and nutty...almost chocolate-like with some chalkiness.  My usual beverage is brewed from two to three tablespoons (depending on anxiety level) in one to one and one-half cups of water.  I have not yet developed the acquired taste for kava and so I add sweetener and some half and half...much as if you would make some coffee with cream and sugar.  I adore this kava.  I do get some body effects but the mental effects make up for it by far.  I'm at ease and, because I'm nearly militantly happy, reaching this happy plateau takes less effort.  For myself, it is nearly perfect.  Light, yummy taste ... happy head ... drains the anxiety away.  Hope this helps someone ^^

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Just tried Tongan Pride for the first time. Its my first kava from rex that ive tried.

so far i really like it. I was really depressed and in a crappy mood before taking it and i've been happy and singing for the last 4 hours now. I feel a little bit of body effect too. Overall a nice mellow feeling and not very drugged out feel, its nice. One strange effect is that it is making me sleepy yet energized at the same time. I am yawning but my legs are going crazy like i want to run around the block. and i agree, music sounds nice :) cant stop dancing even when im sitting down.

cant wait to try the fiji once he gets it in.

I just wish it was in a resealable bag
Update: feels like i drank a ton of caffeine, my legs are restless...so much energy. can kava act as a stimulant? ive never had this reaction before, anyone else had this reaction to tongan pride? I drank it at 3pm and 5 hours later i still feel like jogging around the block, hopefully it doesnt keep me awake tonight.

kl.KarmaG

Kava Enthusiast
Tongan Pride has a similar effect on me - very "uplifting" to the point of being energetic - and is my favorite kava because of this.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
wow, i have to take it easy on tongan, it lasted 9 hours for me yesterday then i crashed but even when i went to sleep i was still jittery. today i think im still feeling a touch jittery. I might be extra sensitive since i dont drink caffeine or any other stimulants, so it probably hit me extra hard. it was crazy though ive only ever experience kava as a depressant, not a stimulant.

scampo

Kava Curious
Very new to Kava - I'm on my second batch.

I started out with Kona Kava - what's strange to me, is that was a lot stronger (to me) that Tongan Pride is. How many shells of TP do you guys have in one sitting? TP is very mild to me...

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
I just got my batch of Tongan pride and tudei in the mail today, and i will be mixing a 8tbsp brew tonight consiting of 5 tudei and 3 tongan pride. These are heaping tbsp.

I pushed it a bit far the other night and had 11 tbsp and couldn't stand up or talk...i pretty much sat there, stunned.

definitely the most stimulating kava i've tried so far... it's like xanax mixed with speed but without the nasty side-effects, i used to go on hours long bike rides after a couple of shells.....can't wait till it gets warm here again