What's new

Travelling with kava

Jmlough

Hi all! I will be flying from Canada into the US in the next few weeks and am wondering if it is legal to fly with kava? Will be taking carry on baggage only.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi all! I will be flying from Canada into the US in the next few weeks and am wondering if it is legal to fly with kava? Will be taking carry on baggage only.
Yes. I have flown with it multiple times. I agree with @kasa_balavu leave it in the original marked bag. I was asked only once or twice what it was (and one person asked if was protein powder) and I usually answer that it is tea. This minor white lie avoids you having to try and figure out how to explain what kava is....

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I just took about 20 pounds of kava through 3 different flights (I never want to fly again) and had no issue. TSA might need to swab it, but it's never been a problem. You might have weird customs issues, but I doubt it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've been known to mix kava in-flight, If anyone asks (they never do) it's a protein mix, lol.

Instant is best for flying but no shame in toss and washing on the plane, desperate times...

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I've been known to mix kava in-flight, If anyone asks (they never do) it's a protein mix, lol.

Instant is best for flying but no shame in toss and washing on the plane, desperate times...
Yup...even did an aluball shake up in an airport bar once while waiting for my food. The hard part is find a way to clean up after the fact.

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
We fly regularly with kava. No problems ever for me. My wife had one occasion only in which she was questioned, but just told them that it was her tea. When I did take some kava in a plain ziplok bag, I created a label and printed it on my adhesive back paper to stick on the bag. Just to make it easier to go through the airport process.