What's new

Medicinal Usage Treating my kid's epilepsy and gut inflammation with kava

I'd love to pick everyone's brain on how I should go about experimenting with kava with my 10 year old daughter with severe epilepsy and GI issues. The good thing is that I have been able to get her off all pharma with diet, supplements, herbals, etc....So drug interactions is not a concern. Also, she has a g-tube so taste isn't a concern either. However, she is non verbal/communicative so she can't describe how she feels. Her seizures are worse at night and manifest as chronic hiccups that prevent her from getting deep sleep. I ordered some trukava oil to try thinking that it is relatively standardized and we would have consistent medicine...But I'm not sure where to dose her starting out. Any thoughts would be soooo greatly appreciated.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
oh gosh, I just saw this message, and I have to say you're a special human being. My heart goes out to you and your daughter.

While I can tell you a good bit about the science behind kava, I don't have any experience that would relate to your situation. In fact, this is the most unique request for kava help that I've seen. Kava has been shown to reduce seizures, however application in this context I'm afraid is just over my abilities.

I hope someone else with more experience can chime in.

Thanks a bunch for your kind response :)
One thing I've learned over the years with her is to keep pushing the boundaries trying new things. It took me a while to reach that point of ignoring all the contraindications (because everything with seizures is contraindicated lol) and just trust my intuition. Reading some of the science behind kava gives me some hope.

Forgive my total ignorance since I'm new to kava....but are there any particular cultivars/chemotypes that are best suited for preventing seizures?

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I just wanted to say first good luck, i wish you the best with this.

I have no experience with most of what your asking but i did want to chime in with regards to which varities- if you are going with prepped kava as opposed to extracts it will give you a lot more control as to how it 'feels', i can imagine certain heady kavas being too intense and cerebral especially w/o the ability to verbalize this could be bad. I would reccomend a heavy or balanced kava, something like a Vanuatu variety. My fav for the price is Fiji Vanua's Vanuatu. The effects of a heavier kava would calm the body more so i can only imagine this would be more beneficial. Remember if you start to use kava as a treatment regularly you are definately going to have to increase her hydration and make sure she is getting plenty of water.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I would think something like CBD ( like Charlotte's Web) would be a more effective treatment for seizures with well documented evidence. I don't think kava would help with gut inflammation and may even make it worse. It is not the most easily digestible product in the world.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I would think something like CBD ( like Charlotte's Web) would be a more effective treatment for seizures with well documented evidence. I don't think kava would help with gut inflammation and may even make it worse. It is not the most easily digestible product in the world.
For the inflamation i believe CBG is more effective, both are hemp extracts. Lazarus Naturals has an affordable CBG and you can sign up for 60% off for a few things including long term disability. As with all hemp extracts be sure to buy direct from manufacturer as there are counterfeits out there.

There's also always tumeric for inflamation. Of course you may have considered these alternatives already.

jonaspmd

found kava
May not sound much, but caring for your daughter is a purpose very few will ever understand.
There are some data the kava increases threshold for seizures (makes it more difficult for a seizure to occur), but it feels like the effects, at least psychoactive, are short lived, and the negative effects of kava accumulate over a period of time (skin, GI, lethargy). So, intuitively I would not say kava is a good option for this. Of the natural remedies, and I am sure you heard or even tried it, medical cannabis seems to do wonders. There are a lot of data by now and even drugs approved by the FDA based on cannabis for intractable epilepsy. If you exhausted all traditional medication (which definitely should be the first option if they work) and there is a possibility for you to access medical cannabis and a good medical supervision, that would be something I would consider.
CBD or hemp extracts, because they lack the psychoactive THC, are less tested in well designed trials, if at all. The company that developed cannabis based drug for epilepsy is called GW Pharmaceuticals. They chose to do it for a specific syndrome because it is easier to do trials if you pick a specific condition, so you might not get a prescription for this specific formulation, but there are plenty of reports, that generic formulations of medicinal cannabis work in children with intractable seizures.