What's new

Tried Tincture: Got Headache; Is it different with powder/instant?

BumbleBee

I'm new to Kava and want to alleviate anxiety.

Tried Happy Camper capsules and didn't feel anything. Then tried 20 drops of tincture from of Herb Pharm. I felt a head buzz for about 2 hours and nausea, then just a headache through the end of the next day.

I don't have anything to compare the head buzz to because I have never drank alcohol. (Religious upbringing - long story).

So I did not enjoy the headache feeling and thought maybe someone knew if this was suppose to be the appropriate feeling at the beginning? Do you think it would be better if I try another form of Kava as the tincture contains alcohol? Thank you!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Welcome Bumblebee. Extracts that use ethanol for extraction can end up extracting dangerous chemicals that probably cause a variety of ills. You may want to consider buying pure Kava and preparing it yourself with water. GHK's kavas have testing as 100% noble so their sampler would be a good start. You could branch out from there assuming you didn't have any bad reactions. Here is a link to study on extracts:
http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0111572&representation=PDF

BumbleBee

Now I remember seeing an interview about ethanol and it's not so safe method of extracting Kava. But for some reason I thought if I am able purchase this at a reputable health food store, it should be OK. No wonder the experience was sickening and so uncomfortable!!

I have a bottle of Xanax here untouched. I see it as my last option if I can't handle the Kava. Passion flower and chamomile don't help the kind of anxiety and panic attacks I get.

Thanks for that study! And yes I will try that GHK sampler and report back.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I drink kava for anxiety, panic attacks and it also helps me avoid sensory overload.

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Welcome to the tribe.::happyshell::

BumbleBee

Thanks Vekta! I'm so glad to know it works for even panic attacks. I really think Kava is the best option as long as I don't get too much nausea. Do you think the ability to handle Kava is similar to alcohol (weight/height dependent)? I know there is a reverse tolerance with Kava so I will have to drink more in the beginning.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@BumbleBee Not really. I've given kava that's leaning on the heavy side to some people and it didn't do much for them. Then I gave them something that was a little light and that hit them more than the heavy(ish) stuff.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I've only had the nausea once.

Tooke a day or so for me to come out of it all the way, YMMV

blindy107

Kava Lover
@BumbleBee welcome! The tinctures and ethanol extracts give good effect but I also notice the nausea and headache at times. I haven't had booze in almost 10 years so I thought that might be the issue once I noticed how much ethanol they used!

Also after reading about the possibility of extracting undesirables I went back to root powder and Kalm with Kava drinks full time. No more tinctures for me!

You would be surprised what the "health food" stores try to push on to consumers....

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I'll pop into a health food store for kava in a dire emergency.
To avoid emergency situations, there's a few things one can do.
To start the brainstorm:
  • Micronized kava in a gelcap
  • Rootlets in the glove box
  • Ozia candy
  • Kava Forte compressed kava tablets

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
In addition to the rest of the advice given, stay hydrated. I have had a handful of kava-induced headaches and I'm about 99.99% sure it is caused by dehydration. Kava is a diuretic.

BumbleBee

Sorry for the late reply everyone!!

Thanks so much Prince on those ideas. There is a health store here that sells Kava but charges an arm and a leg. Gosh I wish it was covered by prescription coverage rather than my Xanax for $5 bucks!
Roaddog -I'm glad you feel the same about tinctures.
Kavadude - that's maybe another reason I got the headache! I'm already on a diuretic, but I made sure not to take it within 12 hours of each other.

While I was away, been doing the Xanax thing under heavy pressure from pdoc. Head pressure never abates from the Xanax...even at a tiny dose. Very few anxiety patients I run into even know about Kava. Honestly, I get more stress relief out of walking 3 to 5 miles without any lingering head pressure.

BumbleBee

Here's a silly question - anyone try Yogi Kava Tea bags? I know I know that's not really ideal but since I'm so sensitive and on various meds, I just thought that this might be safer for now so I ordered some. I read some other threads of people getting nauseous from the instant and as far as regular root powder, I'm not so keen on doing all that boiling and straining right now.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Try a GHK or BKH sample pack. Yogi Kava Teas won't do anything, because the kneading is critical to getting the kavalactones in the water. Instants are no more likely to cause nausea than normal kava and are a good place to start. (You were probably reading the thread about micronized, drinking the unstrained root.) I know it's not fun doing all that stuff but if you put in a little work, pinch your nose and chug it the rewards will be immense.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Here's a silly question - anyone try Yogi Kava Tea bags? I know I know that's not really ideal but since I'm so sensitive and on various meds, I just thought that this might be safer for now so I ordered some. I read some other threads of people getting nauseous from the instant and as far as regular root powder, I'm not so keen on doing all that boiling and straining right now.
Yes. They are very subtle but have noticeable effect. Gave me heartburn though.

You don't need to boil the root. Just fill a stocking and submerge in big bowl of water and squeeze the bag repeatedly for 5-10 min. Easy peasy.

Try the yogi. If no dice try some hawaiian root. It's smooth and mellow flavored usually. Most of the stuff from health food stores is effective but possibly unsafe.

BumbleBee

Thank you so much on the Yogi tea feedback everyone! You're right that the process isn't as tough or time consuming as I made it out to be. It's too late for me to cancel my order on the Yogi tea but can you tell me what the GHK and BKH stands for? I can't seem to find it on Amazon. There is Tongan, Kona Kava, Kava Waka, Kava Lawena. Oh I get so dizzy from all these choices.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Sorry Bumblebee, I was referring to the vendors Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and Bula Kava House (http://gourmethawaiiankava.com and http://bulakavahouse.com). Both have some pretty extensive sample packs. It's a process alright. We're not at the point where we can say "oh you have anxiety, here have this specially prepared and standardized kava extract." But if you're willing to put in some work, both in preparation and finding the strain that works for you, I think you will be really happy with the results.

Pink

Kava Curious
xanax is no fun believe me,its strongest benzo there is for anxiety and what not,before you get trapped in it.

As for your headaches,you said you never drank alcohol,yet tincture contained it-ethanol if correct ?
not knowing your age and since you never drank its like having your first alcohol beverage in life.Kava can be strong,but its usually person who buys it and prepares it that decides how strong they want it.As said instant isnt meant to be strained,since it dissolves almost without a trace.

I was lucky recently to get instant 50g on top of my root order,and if i could afford it,i would drink it every day,since that 50g only lasted me 2 days and hadnt need to deal with reverse tolerance,hit it like a hug of sun :)

If i knew of kava and other herbs 3 years ago,i would of never touched benzo in my life,at first it seems to cure everything,but down the road,i cant wake up now any day without thinking how the hell i will survive it,since addiction got better part of me,with almost no options to turn around,where kava can be taken for months to no end and forgotten that you ever took it once you decide its not needed anymore.