What's new

Upcoming Kava Bar (Lansing, MI)

Rooted_Socialite

Lansing, MI
Kava Bar Owner
Hello Everyone!

After setting the intention to unify people through common beverage experiences, I joined the wine industry out of college and worked in almost every aspect (vineyard labor, cellar work, sales, distribution, tasting room management etc). Introduced to kava by a friend two years ago, the wheels started turning and haven't stopped since.

Experiencing various kava bars through my wine industry adventure really kicked things into overdrive when I contrasted the overall vibe of a room drinking kava vs alcohol. I quickly became convinced that kava was a far superior social beverage. Given the right setting, kava safely breaks down societal, conversational norms and allows people to converse freely and openly with each other. Thus, I resolved to start a kava bar and am well on the way to opening this fall.

Excited to share progress with this community as construction will begin soon. If you search Rooted Socialite, my design firm's website will appear along with some renderings of the bar itself.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I don't know enough about Michigan to know if Lansing is like a hipster, artist, bohemian, youthful, college town or not...but I know you'll have better luck surviving if it is.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Unfortunately, the Tropikava bar in Chicago, 5 hrs ago but the closest to me, went out of business. Lansing is 6 hrs from me, so your bar will be the closest to me. May have to make a road trip out of it

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I stand corrected, I just did a Google Search, and there is one in Milwaukee, WI. Off topic, but if anyone has been to this one, please let me know

Rooted_Socialite

Lansing, MI
Kava Bar Owner
I visited Tropikava a few times. I got the impression parking slowly became a huge problem for that location as the neighborhood grew and public transit wasn't super convenient to counter that trend. Lease would of been up this year potentially, hopefully they are just moving to a different location.

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
For whatever reason, I have a visceral negative response when I see the word 'socialite'. It doesn't seem related to kava but I'm a glitter hippy in my 40s so that's just my reaction. I wish you well in your endeavor. Where I live currently I can't see a kava bar surviving which kinda sucks because I enjoy them. Hopefully the next place I live will be more forward thinking and open minded. Best to you.

Rooted_Socialite

Lansing, MI
Kava Bar Owner
@Yogini appreciate you sharing that word association. I'm attempting a re-brand of sorts there. Alcohol typified those classic 'socialite' settings throughout history, replace it with kava and I think a lot of things would be different.

Yogini

Well... there ya have it.
@Yogini appreciate you sharing that word association. I'm attempting a re-brand of sorts there. Alcohol typified those classic 'socialite' settings throughout history, replace it with kava and I think a lot of things would be different.
Because I am a professional performer and had to go to a LOT of parties with 'elites' both for my companies and my ex-husband's orchestras, (he was a symphony conductor) I just got burnt out on the scene. I had a feeling you were coming from that angle with your background in terms of the image. I'm sure you had your fair share of attending those events. So, thank you. I will follow your process.

Rooted_Socialite

Lansing, MI
Kava Bar Owner
I've seen a surprising amount of people purchase them in bars across the country given the price compared to medium grind. Impromptu off premise options to share with people really help apparently.