What's new

update on the no kava

exit stage left
So it's been a while, I've been in treatment for my eating disorder for 4 weeks. Things are going well, I've regained a lot of health, but I've found that I'm anxious almost all of the time. I'm thinking of reintroducing kava back into my life, but nowhere near the amount I had been drinking. Maybe a shell or two on the weekend and that's it. I feel like now is the time because it would keep me from turning to harder things like benzos to deal with my anxiety. Obviously I will have plenty of talk therapy as well, and I will continue to be in the intensive day treatment program for another 4 weeks or so.

The only permanent damage I've done with the eating disorder is that my bone density is at the osteoporosis level, but we're aiming to supplement my calcium and vitamin D intake and try and help it a little bit.

Does kava affect bone health at all? I wouldn't want to make it worse.

D

Deleted User01

I'm glad to hear that things are looking up. Here is an idea. I have been concerned that maybe I'm doing too much kava. The sympton can be a little spacyness in the morning. So I only did 2 tablespoons of Micro last night and it was perfect. I'm thinking I might even be able to get away with 1 tablespoon to encourage a good night's sleep. You got a good head on your shoulders and more will power than I. There is no sense gourging on Kava in lieu of Benzos or Booze. Somewhere along the way we all need to learn to take "maintenance" doses and be happy with that. Anyway, I wish you continued success with your project.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Hello again @Schmedward! Happy to hear from you and hear that things are going well.

Perhaps a poll on here of kava that's the "hungriest" kava would be a good one. I know that certain types make me WANT to eat and certain types (headier kava usually) make me NOT want to eat or give me a mild nausea.

If you're carrying around lots of anxiety, occasional kava can help with that in my experience, but you wouldn't want to negatively impact your health recovery process either. Perhaps low doses of "hungry" kava throughout the week would attenuate some anxiety without making it more difficult to eat well.

I'm not aware of anything that has shown kava has an impact on bone density such as calcium depletion.

exit stage left
Thanks, both of you. I have a little bit of my regular kava left, so I'm going to try a very small amount tonight. If it's a bad idea for the rest of my treatment, I'll figure that out and stop. I put an order in for some GHK Mahakea medium grind because the reviews I read made it sound like it would be good for anxiety and well balanced. I wonder if I'll have to go through reverse tolerance again? It's been at least five weeks.

Once the kava comes, I think the schedule I'll settle on is Wednesday night and weekends, and only a shell or two.

I'm glad to know it doesn't affect bone density. And I don't really need the kava to get hungry, my hunger signals are getting back to normal after 4 weeks on very scheduled meals meant to return my system to normal. I do hope it can help with anxiety though.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I wonder if I'll have to go through reverse tolerance again? It's been at least five weeks.
Anecdotal information suggests that no, you're well within the window.

I'm glad to know it doesn't affect bone density.
Well, just because I haven't heard anything about it doesn't mean it can't happen. I haven't ever researched it. I just haven't come across any mention in my reading.

exit stage left
Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like I won't have much luck getting answers out of doctors if they're not familiar with kava. I guess I'll treat it like any other food/drink item and as long as I'm taking my calcium/vitamin D supplement I should be ok. My doctor said that bones change very slowly, so whatever has affected my bone density has been there a long time - much more likely to be the eating disorder and not the kava, which is pretty new.